PDA

View Full Version : Cheaper Than Dirt "CA Assault Weapon Gear"

Creeping Incrementalism
03-20-2006, 8:39 PM
I was browsing Cheaper than Dirt (which I've noticed recently is usually a bit more expensive than Midway) and looked at the items they would not ship to California. Aren't all of these legal to import, in-and-of themselves, except for the >10 fixed mag? CTD says its policy is The following products cannot be SHIPPED to ADDRESSES in the states, counties or cities indicated. Many products are legal to own, but some state laws make it illegal to buy them via the internet or mail order.
A partial list of items they won't ship here is:

Assault weapon gear:
California

Rifles:
Folding stocks
Thumbhole stocks
Telescoping stocks
Protruding pistol grip
Flash supressor
Forward pistol grip

Pistols:
Second handgrip
Shroud (except for a slide)
Detachable mag outside the pistol grip
Threaded barrel that accommodates a flash suppressor, forward handgrip or silencer
Fixed high-cap mag

Shotguns:
Folding stocks
Thumbhole stocks
Telescoping stocks
Protruding pistol grip
Detachable mag
Revolving cylinder

This is from http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/restrict.asp.

kick Z tail out
03-20-2006, 8:42 PM
I think they're just playing CYA to distance themselves from anything that could even be twisted into being wrong.

That stuff could be sold to you, but they figure California is so friggin weird that they'd rather not take the chance. ;)

blacklisted
03-20-2006, 8:49 PM
These are simply idiots without a bit of legal common sense.

HeHateMe
03-20-2006, 8:49 PM
I use to buy from them when they were actually pretty close to Cheaper than dirt. They used to have free shipping. Now they're no longer competitive price wise and some of my purchase I have not been satisfied with so they no longer get my Hamiltons.

kantstudien
03-20-2006, 8:59 PM
Who gives a crap? They sell junk garbage anyways.

mow
03-20-2006, 9:02 PM
HAHAHA!!!

Yes Cheaper Than Dirt .... The same company that requested my credit card info via email... they lost my business after that.

Creeping Incrementalism
03-20-2006, 9:18 PM
Who gives a crap? They sell junk garbage anyways.

Actually, a lot of the product is good quality, or stuff that's so cheap, even if it doesn't work out, it doesn't really matter. And there are some things I'd like to buy. With the free shipping, it was great. But now, the free shipping is gone, I've noticed their prices are running about 5-10% higher than Midway, which had made me switch over to Midway more. But this "assault gear" CYA nonsense really pisses me off. I will never buy from them again if they don't change their policy. It's bad enough what the state does, and these cowards make it worse?

I sent them an email asking that they change their policy, but I have a feeling they won't. I think I may start a few "Boycott Cheaper than Dirt" threads on several gun boards.

artherd
03-20-2006, 9:35 PM
Ignorance bordering on intellectual treason.

C.G.
03-20-2006, 9:36 PM
CDNN is even worse.:(

7.62MM
03-20-2006, 10:04 PM
They Sell DPMS ?

shopkeep
03-20-2006, 11:09 PM
Two words:

Word #1: Brownells
Word #2: Del Ton

'nuff said

grammaton76
03-20-2006, 11:37 PM
CDNN is even worse.:(

Dude... CDNN is happy to ship AR uppers to CA. They're not exactly on the bad guy list. Maybe they don't like to ship completed firearms to us, but that's their choice. If I were an outside-CA company, I probably would seriously consider not shipping any firearms to us, but I would absolutely ship non-prohibited non-weapon items. As far as I can tell, CDNN does that quite happily.

grammaton76
03-20-2006, 11:40 PM
But this "assault gear" CYA nonsense really pisses me off. I will never buy from them again if they don't change their policy. It's bad enough what the state does, and these cowards make it worse?

I sent them an email asking that they change their policy, but I have a feeling they won't. I think I may start a few "Boycott Cheaper than Dirt" threads on several gun boards.

Well - if you're going to do that at CTD, then you're also required to boycott Sportsman's Guide (which I do) - SG won't even ship a freaking AR SIGHT TOOL to California.

I don't think I've ordered much from CTD in the past, but I won't order anything from them nowadays. I will also never order from SG. Just make sure you put SG in on your boycott requests, as I think you'll find that SG is even worse than CTD.

C.G.
03-21-2006, 12:03 AM
Dude... CDNN is happy to ship AR uppers to CA. They're not exactly on the bad guy list. Maybe they don't like to ship completed firearms to us, but that's their choice. If I were an outside-CA company, I probably would seriously consider not shipping any firearms to us, but I would absolutely ship non-prohibited non-weapon items. As far as I can tell, CDNN does that quite happily.

Now you are splitting hairs. I fail to see the difference between CDNN not wanting to ship perfectly CA legal firearms to us and Cheaper than Dirt not wanting to ship perfectly legal accessories that they consider would get them into trouble. In either case the policy sucks and we are on the short end.

Creeping Incrementalism
03-21-2006, 4:57 AM
Well - if you're going to do that at CTD, then you're also required to boycott Sportsman's Guide (which I do) - SG won't even ship a freaking AR SIGHT TOOL to California.

I don't think I've ordered much from CTD in the past, but I won't order anything from them nowadays. I will also never order from SG. Just make sure you put SG in on your boycott requests, as I think you'll find that SG is even worse than CTD.

I think there are enough "California boycott Sportsman's Guide" threads on the gun boards already...

metalhead357
03-21-2006, 6:09 AM
I wish SOMEONE could friggin explain a lil' somthin' somethin' to them. I mean jesus friggin Christos- WHAT in a 4 POSTION CAR stock is illegal? It aint a folder...it aint collapsible (like an HK that FULLY collapses)- it only adjusts what? TWO freaking inches:mad:

I'll secong the *good* stuff on CDNN....albeit they too do seem a lil' on the cautious side for guns....but I bet it keeps thier legal counsel fees down:rolleyes:

metalhead

spaceburger
03-21-2006, 8:09 AM
We probably spent close to $1800 over this last year with them. Some of it was crap and we sent it back. Our last order was truly our last. Shipping is a rip off. You have to pay shipping for everything even if it comes from 3 warehouses. The one thing we bought cost more to ship than what it was worth. Our complaints fell on deaf ears.