PDA

View Full Version : Modern Bullets make the Magnums almost obsolete

Hunt
05-28-2010, 6:02 PM
I did a lot of ballistics and recoil research before I bought my 7mm-08 I found the ballistics of the Berger 168 gr VLD at 2600 fps, on JBM calculator at 4500 ft elevation puts that round to a 600 yard elk capable rnd to 600 yards at 1,400 lbs energy and a deer cartridge out to 740 yards with 1200 lbs of energy and here it drops below the required 1800 fps for a VLD to expand. So basically, if marksmanship and rifle accuracy allows this makes the 7mm-08 effective with a Berger 168 VLD that has a BC of .641 out to 740 yards at 4500 ft elevation. These high BC bullets really bring long case performance to the medium speed calibers. I think this is very impressive for a short action .308 case cartridge. Considering this, the only reason I see to use the magnums or bigger bores are on specially designed long range (beyond 600 yards) and or dangerous game. Interesting what these modern high BC bullets can do, they put these smaller medium speed calibers into the arena that the 30-06 and .270 used to dominate with a lot less recoil and powder use.

Tikka T3 Lite 7mm-08 for sale

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=171159522

Bend
05-28-2010, 6:51 PM
Personally, I would never shoot big game with a bullet that was designed for paper punching. Seems YMMV.

Fjold
05-28-2010, 6:53 PM
Berger does recommend some of their bullets for hunting.

Hunt
05-28-2010, 7:00 PM
Personally, I would never shoot big game with a bullet that was designed for paper punching. Seems YMMV.

they make VLD for hunting just watched a video of a massive bull elk taken at 900 yards with 6.5 Norma and 140 gr VLD drt bam

Bend
05-28-2010, 7:21 PM
they make VLD for hunting just watched a video of a massive bull elk taken at 900 yards with 6.5 Norma and 140 gr VLD drt bam

Some history-

The VLD bullets Berger recommends for hunting are their original high BC paper punching bullet. As long-range target shooters began to push those bullets over 3100 fps with fast twist barrels, the originals blew up within a few yards of the muzzle. Therefore, Berger developed the "Thick" VLD's with a thicker jacket that did not blow up under 3300 fps. These they do not recommend for hunting.

Both style VLD's are still paper punchers. Your choice of what you want to use. For big game, I'll stick with a Partition, a bonded and even a cup and core type bullet if the speed is low enough. The heck with Berger "recommending" their VLD lights for hunting big game. Again, YMMV.

Trapper
05-28-2010, 9:45 PM
I like the Barnes 140gr TTSX for the 7mm/08 and always try to keep shots under 250yds.

Sunwolf
05-29-2010, 3:00 AM
Nosler accubond.

tankerman
05-29-2010, 3:45 PM
Not sure having your 168 grain VLD make contact with an Elk's shoulder at 600 yards would be effective. Considering it's rare that you ever know exactly what the wind is doing over a 600+ yard range, I'd choose a bullet that can still get the job done if it hits heavy bone.

Magnums and big bores have other purposes than just extended range. Big bores allow for the use of very heavy bullets which are very capable of breaking heavy bone at very modest speeds (45/70 on hog, 45/70 Elk still hunting dark timber). Magnums get heavy constructed bullets to expand/do their job at a variety of ranges.

I've heard lots of supposed hunters claim they only take a shot if it's 'perfect' and can put a shot inside a quarter every time (perfect heart shots), if that's the case why not shoot the animal in the eye and stop wasting meat.:rolleyes: