PDA

View Full Version : Got my C&R after 11 weeks wait! COE in 1 week!

losangeles
03-20-2006, 4:02 PM
Alright, I'm good to go!

I finally got my C&R from BATF. It took 11 weeks. I got my COE from the Calif DOJ in about a week.

Now I can start buying!

All in all, that's not too bad. It took my Utah CCW 5 - 6 weeks, and I'm currently on a 7-week wait for my Florida CCW (this one may go for the long haul).

timmy8151
03-20-2006, 4:09 PM
Nice!! I sent off my COE paperwork on Wed. Hopefully they'll send me one this week.

Rumpled
03-20-2006, 5:16 PM
Congrats, do you have room on your credit cards?

trinity9
03-21-2006, 12:20 AM
I got may C&R today also, probably about the same 10 or 11 weeks. I even got my paperwork packet the same day with the April 2004 approved list.

Trinity

blacklisted
03-21-2006, 1:00 AM
I'll be applying in around 2 years 4 months. :D

artherd
03-21-2006, 1:22 AM
FLA CCW took almost 5 months here if I recall correctly. And they got my address wrong so are sending me another one :P

mow
03-24-2006, 6:54 PM
How does one find out who their CLEO is?

Santa Cruz Armory
03-24-2006, 7:42 PM
If you were to call 911 and ask for the police who would respond? City police or the Sheriff's department? Once you know that you can call them or go onto thier website and ask or look it up.

TonyM
03-24-2006, 8:10 PM
If you were to call 911 and ask for the police who would respond? City police or the Sheriff's department? Once you know that you can call them or go onto thier website and ask or look it up.

I know you're not saying to, but so nobody reads it and decides to try, please don't call 911 for a non emergency to ask. ;)

TonyM
03-24-2006, 8:16 PM
How does one find out who their CLEO is?

For Dublin, the Sheriff is Charles C. Plummer, Sheriff/Coroner of Alameda County.

http://www.alamedacountysheriff.org/mainpage.htm

Alternatively you could send the copy of the application to the Chief of the Dublin Police, Commander Gary L. Thuman.

http://www.ci.dublin.ca.us/DepartmentSub.cfm+PL+exp+SL+police

mow
03-24-2006, 8:41 PM
OK so can I use either the sheriff or the chief of police? I'd prefer to send a copy to the sheriff as opposed to police, but I want to fully comply with the law so if I should choose one over the other I'd like to know if one takes precedence over the other.

Oh and no I won't be calling 911 to find out :p

TonyM
03-24-2006, 8:45 PM
OK so can I use either the sheriff or the chief of police? I'd prefer to send a copy to the sheriff as opposed to police, but I want to fully comply with the law so if I should choose one over the other I'd like to know if one takes precedence over the other.

Oh and no I won't be calling 911 to find out :p

Yes, either, or. I went with the Sheriff in my county.

mow
03-24-2006, 8:47 PM
Thanks for the info TonyM, I am doing the same :D

NeoWeird
03-27-2006, 5:40 AM
Going back a little to the topic...

I know that with a C&R and a CoE you can get C&R longguns from dealers without a waiting period. I thought I read on the DOJ's website that with the C&R and CoE you are exempt from the one handgun per 30 day rule; but now I can't find where I read that.

Am I mistaken? Or does someone know where it says that? I thought it was in the Dealer FAQ with the "who is exempt from the 10 day waiting period?" portion, but I don't see it now.

Mssr. Eleganté
03-27-2006, 11:25 PM
It's in the Public FAQ section, question #24

And here is the text of the law...

12072(a)(9)(A) No person shall make an application to purchase more than one pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person within any 30-day period. (B) Subparagraph (A) shall not apply to any of the following:
(i)blah blah blah
(ii)blah blah blah
(iii)blah blah blah
(iv)blah blah blah
(v)blah blah blah
(vi)blah blah blah
(vii)blah blah blah
(viii)blah blah blah
(ix) Any person who is licensed as a collector pursuant to Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto and who has a current certificate of eligibility issued to him or her by the Department of Justice pursuant to Section 12071.

And I'm sure you already know this, but just to clarify, a C&R and COE avoids the one handgun in 30 day rule for all handguns, but avoids the 10 day wait only for C&R handguns.

timmy8151
03-28-2006, 11:14 AM
And I'm sure you already know this, but just to clarify, a C&R and COE avoids the one handgun in 30 day rule for all handguns, but avoids the 10 day wait only for C&R handguns.

However if you call the DOJ, they'll tell you that it only exempts you from C&R handguns.

Also, it's going to take me about 3 weeks to get my COE, but it isn't the DOJ's fault. The livescan place where I was fingerprinted at had their networks wiped out by the midwest tornados. As a result they won't be able to get my fingerprints to DOJ until next even though I had them done the middle of the month.