PDA

View Full Version : Can Big 5 scan my coupon off my iPhone?

gotime
05-28-2010, 5:39 PM
All they do is read the disclaimer and then scan the bar code to put the discount in and to verify, so I don't see why not. Anyone try this?

DVSmith
05-28-2010, 5:42 PM
All they do is read the disclaimer and then scan the bar code to put the discount in and to verify, so I don't see why not. Anyone try this?

Barcode readers come in a couple of flavors. One type is built on a CCD like a digital camera. Another type looks for changes in contrast. I am not sure that they would pick up the barcode from an image on your phone, but it would fun to try.

Tacom
05-28-2010, 6:33 PM
Can't they just punch in the numbers?

winnre
05-28-2010, 6:36 PM
They told me they need to put the coupon in the drawer and treat it like cash.

Turbinator
05-29-2010, 10:15 PM
They took my coupon when I used it this past Friday. I am guessing they won't allow digital versions. Give it a try, or call them. I personally printed out 2 more just in case I need (or want) to buy anything else.

Turby

juicemansam
05-30-2010, 2:52 AM
They told me they need to put the coupon in the drawer and treat it like cash.

^This. I'm guessing for accounting purposes. Heck, they put copy of the credit/debit receipt away in the register, which has got to be for accounting.

Scratch705
05-30-2010, 3:36 AM
the two times i used the coupons, the clerk marked it and stapled it with a copy of my receipt to be put away.

i'm guessing the stores get "reimbursed" for the $ discounted from corporate and probably also as a information collection on how the coupons affect sales #

Rhythm of Life
05-30-2010, 9:37 AM
I work at Big 5. We need a physical copy of the coupon.

JDay
05-30-2010, 4:14 PM
Yes they can scan the barcode off your phone, however they told you that is against store policy since they need a physical copy.

Josh3239
05-30-2010, 4:19 PM
I have a friend who works at Blockbuster, I have seen him scan coupons off of the Iphone.

Turbinator
05-30-2010, 6:24 PM
I work at Big 5. We need a physical copy of the coupon.

Well, folks, that answers that.

Turby

NotThatGuy
05-30-2010, 9:31 PM
Just FYI though, the scanner can read the bar code off the iPhone.

Norm222
05-31-2010, 9:29 PM
It depends on the person working there. I had to coupon on my phone and the guy just typed in the code.

xrMike
06-01-2010, 9:53 AM
I work at Big 5. We need a physical copy of the coupon.I was also told this by the local Big 5 store manager when I attempted to use a coupon that existed only in PDF form on my phone. Had to go home and print the darn thing out.

WhatsTCP
06-02-2010, 1:48 AM
Another Big 5 employee here, I always give coupon price regardless if they have a coupon or not. I always try to give sale price. Some stores have managers who are anal over everything and won't give you the sale price even if the sale ended just yesterday. Luckily my managers are easy going and I usually get the sale price for the customer or 10% discount without them even having to ask. ESPECIALLY for people looking at firearms, I'll work extra hard to get them sale prices or if they are checking out our surplus rifles (nuggets, m24/47, garands) I'll run to the back to find them one in better condition. Karma brothers, it does the soul good.

Been working there for a year and a half, never gets tiring.

Rob454
06-07-2010, 5:58 AM
I think they physically need to have the coupon present.