PDA

View Full Version : Newport Harbor

bambam8d1
05-27-2010, 8:48 PM
Anyone here fish Newport Harbor? Kayak? Float Tube? Anything? IM thinking about hittin it up this weekend. Recently moved out here and itchin to go fishin.

qbi2001
05-27-2010, 9:24 PM
Never done it but have been thinking the same thing. I freshwater kayak fish primarily and have been wanting to try some of the harbors for some saltwater action.

bambam8d1
05-27-2010, 9:57 PM
My pops used to have a boat in the harbor that I would fish off of right there on the dock. Caught so many little sharks, and would take the dingy out under the PCH bridge, bass, bat rays.... been quite a few years though. ive seen people out towards the mouth of the harbor get some halibut, which i would like to get. but i havent done anything saltwater in so long haha.

Butthead
05-27-2010, 10:17 PM
Right outside the harbour (south side) is a great dive spot called lil corona. Very shallow (14' - 20'), lots of fish. Signs along the path down to the beach say no taking of marine life but you can hunt there (the signs are to keep people from raping the tidepools). I have taken very large halibut there but usually in Jan - Feb and maybe March. Lots of lobsters around but are almost always too small (lots of commercial traps).

I would think it would be good in a kayak, but would sugest free diving with a spear gun.

zerohour714
06-01-2010, 5:18 PM
Ive done quite a bit of fishing there, there are a bunch of fish to catch, but I have been told not to eat anything past where the ferry crosses. Because of the size of the harbor, there is to much crap in the water that doesn't get washed out by the tides. You can catch halibut right around where the ferry's cross, get yourself a livewell and drop some dines, you should do well when the water warms up!