PDA

View Full Version : 8x57mm.... No Headstamp???? Anybody????

diginit
05-27-2010, 5:28 PM
I've never encountered brass without a headstamp. Just got some 8mm mauser FMJ ammo without any markings at all.....Smooth head with light blue colored sealant around the primers. On silver and gold stripper clips with some having a smooth amd some having a knotched crimp. Ammo looks great. But this is wierd...
I'm wondering where it was made. And ,of course, the year.
There are no resizing marks and the primers have a very deep crimp. They match my Check and Turkish loads with a Mic. perfectly. So they are not reloads. :confused:

Mssr. Eleganté
05-27-2010, 9:04 PM
I have heard of Czech 8mm that didn't have a headstamp. They made 8mm ammo with bogus headstamps or no headstamp to sell to African countries in the 1950's and 60's. But I didn't think any of it came on stripper clips. Can you pull a bullet and see if it weights 175 grains? Have you checked all of the ammo in your lot to see if any of the rounds have headstamps (like uxa 44)?

diginit
05-27-2010, 9:33 PM
I have heard of Czech 8mm that didn't have a headstamp. They made 8mm ammo with bogus headstamps or no headstamp to sell to African countries in the 1950's and 60's. But I didn't think any of it came on stripper clips. Can you pull a bullet and see if it weights 175 grains? Have you checked all of the ammo in your lot to see if any of the rounds have headstamps (like uxa 44)?

None of the rounds have a headstamp. It seems that the strippers were added due to the mix of Czech and Yugo clips. As I got a handfull of extra clips with the deal. Sure hate to pull a bullet that I could shoot. Maybe tomorrow. But I'm wondering if I should shoot it at all if it happens to be rare. Heading to the hills Sat. I hope someone can tell me before then....

I just pulled all the rounds from the clips for a doublecheck. I found 1 out of 60 rnds with a VERY, very small x. Really tiny... Looks like it was engraved rather than stamped. The rounds with a knotched crimp have black sealant. The standard roll cripmed have light blue.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj107/diginit/Ammo%20Testing/0e2d87ed.jpg

Chief-7700
05-29-2010, 6:57 AM
I believe that it is call sanitized ammunition so the country of its origin could not be ID. Example country A buys ammo from country B, country A goes into country C for a black ops mission and leaves gangs of spent brass. Country A says what operation.