PDA

View Full Version : Shipping handguns in California

GKO
03-19-2006, 10:48 PM
Any legal issues with shipping a handgun in California if the gun in question is not on the Cal DOJ list? Or, does it have to be a FTF PPT? Thanks for any info. -

Jeff Rambo
03-19-2006, 10:49 PM
FTF PPT if it is not listed.

CowtownBallin
03-19-2006, 11:32 PM
Buy the seller a ticket to CA? :D

gose
03-19-2006, 11:40 PM
Any legal issues with shipping a handgun in California if the gun in question is not on the Cal DOJ list? Or, does it have to be a FTF PPT? Thanks for any info. -

Unless you're shipping yourself together with the gun (ie moving) it needs to be on the list.

gh429
03-19-2006, 11:49 PM
What if you're shipping back and forth out of state for repairs? I sent one of my Sigs out of state for repairs multiple times. It's probably on the list, but just wondering.

SouthbySouthwest
03-20-2006, 9:06 AM
..... Whether the gun goes into a cardboard box and is flown around by FedEx, or whether it is in the trunk of the owner's car makes little difference. I think (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) that I could FedEx a gun I'm wanting to sell to an FFL within the state, then drive to the FFL a week later and complete my half of the paperwork, then a week later the buyer goes to the FFL and completes his half of the paperwork, and finally 10 days later the FFL gives the gun to the buyer.....

One thing that is different in this scenario is the fees the receiving dealer can charge the buyer. If the transfer is face to face with both buyer/seller/ffl then a $10 fee is the max for the transfer portion (plus dros of $25). However, if the FFL takes posession of the gun, then they are free to charge whatever transfer fees they want. $10, $50, $100..... Once the gun is on the FFL books,the door is opened for higher fees if the dealer chooses. Otherwords they are no longer bound by the PPT fee limit of $10

GKO
03-20-2006, 7:33 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I should have been more clear, sorry. I have the gun, not on the list, and was wondering if I could ship it up to NorCal; I'm in SoCal. But, the answer is "no" has to be FTF PPT. I've been out of the gun scene for a while and I'm kinda rusty.