PDA

View Full Version : Handgun lawsfor people under 21?

mds2004
03-19-2006, 12:05 PM
Hello, I know the law is that you can only purchase a handgun at 21 and older. I am curious as if what the laws were to passing down guns from like a father to son or the son going out and shooting his handgun when it is still under the possession of the father.

I am 19 and was wondering if I can give my father the money to purchase the handgun of my choice and if I can take "his" gun out to a range or out somewhere to shoot. Like could he write a letter of consent for me to be able to transport the handgun to a designated area to fire?

I already purchased a lower, however I am thinking of having my father purchase the pistol first depending on the laws. If it does not work I will just build the AR now and wait 1.5 years until I turn 21.
Thanks in advance, Mark.

Jeff Rambo
03-19-2006, 12:21 PM
Your father can purchase any handgun legal to own in the State of California and then give it to you via an Operation of Law transfer. You will then be the legal owner of the handgun. This applies only if you are 18-20 and not in a prohibited class for firearms possession, which it would not appear as if you are if you purchased a lower.

http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/pubfaqs.htm#20

mds2004
03-19-2006, 12:48 PM
Your father can purchase any handgun legal to own in the State of California and then give it to you via an Operation of Law transfer. You will then be the legal owner of the handgun. This applies only if you are 18-20 and not in a prohibited class for firearms possession, which it would not appear as if you are if you purchased a lower.

http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/pubfaqs.htm#20

Thank you very much!

blacklisted
03-19-2006, 12:54 PM
Thank you very much!

You will also have to get a Handgun Safety Certificate. With this, you can take your Father's guns to the range without him present. It is also required to take possession of a handgun in an Operation of Law transfer.

yiha
03-19-2006, 1:13 PM
just something slightly offtopic;

If you move to arizona you can buy handguns via Private party transfers completely legal as long as you are over 18 years.

islanderman7
03-19-2006, 1:42 PM
the only problem is, how do you get ammo? you have to be 21 to purchase right?

mds2004
03-19-2006, 2:12 PM
Say you have a 9mm or .45 upper? If that wont work just have your father go with you to get your ammo. It does not take long at all; where we live, theres always a shop to buy ammo within 2-3 miles of you.

Jeff Rambo
03-19-2006, 3:07 PM
There was recently a move to ease the process for 18-20 year olds buying ammo that is traditionally considered handgun calibers if they could prove the ammo they were purchasing was for long guns. It was discussed here awhile back and I belived there is now something in effect with regards to this.

yiha
03-19-2006, 3:20 PM
a lot of the online stores dont give a crap either.. sure it says "Must be 21" etc, but most places dont check this at all.

x2delight
03-19-2006, 5:23 PM
i tried to get a hsc for my son and its damn near impossible.no shop wants to do it for risk reasons or something.

x2delight
03-19-2006, 5:35 PM
You will also have to get a Handgun Safety Certificate. With this, you can take your Father's guns to the range without him present. It is also required to take possession of a handgun in an Operation of Law transfer.

i dont see anything on that form about having a hsc..can you show me where you saw this?

blacklisted
03-19-2006, 5:47 PM
i dont see anything on that form about having a hsc..can you show me where you saw this?

It's not on the form.

From the guide:
Handgun Safety Certificate Requirement
To purchase or acquire a handgun you must have a valid Handgun Safety Certificate
(HSC).

Sorry I can't provide more. It's really easy to get the certificate, and I'm 99% sure that you need it to get a handgun now.

x2delight
03-19-2006, 5:49 PM
It's not on the form.

From the guide:

Sorry I can't provide more. It's really easy to get the certificate, and I'm 99% sure that you need it to get a handgun now.

i wanna transfer a gun to my son.but i cant find anyone willingto do a hsc for him.. i know its possible just no one wants to do it.

ghettoshecky
03-19-2006, 6:00 PM
I'm guessing this probably doesn't work, but can I take my bro's handgun (I'm 20) to the range? Or is this "law of operation" only apply to father or son?

blacklisted
03-19-2006, 6:33 PM
I'm guessing this probably doesn't work, but can I take my bro's handgun (I'm 20) to the range? Or is this "law of operation" only apply to father or son?

Operation of law is only for transfering ownership.

blacklisted
03-19-2006, 6:34 PM
i wanna transfer a gun to my son.but i cant find anyone willingto do a hsc for him.. i know its possible just no one wants to do it.

Where are you at? Any dealer who wont give the HSC test to someone between 18-20 is either stupid or just really misinformed.

Jeff Rambo
03-19-2006, 7:01 PM
Yes, where are you at? I can point you to an FFL willing to give the HSC to your son if you are in the Los Angeles area.

blacklisted
03-19-2006, 7:33 PM
Yes, where are you at? I can point you to an FFL willing to give the HSC to your son if you are in the Los Angeles area.

Any if you are in the SF Bay Area I can do the same.

x2delight
03-19-2006, 8:34 PM
i have checked most places in the san bernardino county area. if someone can point me somewhere like riverside/san bernardino county i can go.

LA is kinda far and bay area is wayyy to far..

the reason the other places didnt wanna do it was because they dont like doing it. this was 2 local places and turners just plain said no. they arent misinformed they just decline to do it.i want my son to be able to enjoy the hobby but if he gets pulled over he might get hassled as well as at the range when he goes shooting by himself. iam not worried about the range more worried about the police searching his car in case he gets pulled over for speeding or something. and btw he is 20

if anyone can help i would greatly appreciate it. iam trying to see if any local dealers iam not aware of will reply..

thanks

blacklisted
03-19-2006, 8:36 PM
Both of these sound like bad ideas in the situation of a person under 21 who legally owns and shoots handguns - a very unusual but not illegal situation. If you are buying ammo for a handgun, be honest about it - even if that means inconvenience (like for example having to go ammo shopping with your dad). Being in an unusual situation means that one is more likely to attract attention from law enforcement. At that point, it is most important to be absolutely squeaky clean. Imagine that you go to the range (under 21 with a handgun), and the clerk at the counter looks at your drivers license once you are shooting, decides that because you are under 21 you must be a criminal, calls the cops, an over-eager local officer comes by and questions you, and in your range bag they find a receipt from Walmart for a few hundred rounds or Winchester White Box, with YOUR credit card number on it. At this point, if the local DA wants to be an *** about it (unlikely but possible), you have a real problem, which will likely make it so you can't own any guns for a long time. On the other hand, if they found a Walmart receipt with your dad's credit card number on it, then everything is perfectly legal, and the DA can stew in his own juice.

(Fortunately, I've been 21 several times over, so I no longer worry about this stuff. Buying ammo at Walmart is the only place I've been carded in over a decade. But being another unusual category, namely a non-US-citizen who owns guns and shoots them, I like to be very careful to understand the law, and stay on the correct side of it.)

I have to go ammo shopping with my grandfather when I want to get .357 magnum. I've got a whole bunch of .38 special, but it's some nasty handloads from the 80s, and it smells funny. I need to get a .357 levergun or something...the problem is that I don't want one, and I couldn't afford one if I did. I'm saving all my spare change right now to get parts for my AR...

blacklisted
03-19-2006, 8:38 PM
i have checked most places in the san bernardino county area. if someone can point me somewhere like riverside/san bernardino county i can go.

LA is kinda far and bay area is wayyy to far..

the reason the other places didnt wanna do it was because they dont like doing it. this was 2 local places and turners just plain said no. they arent misinformed they just decline to do it.i want my son to be able to enjoy the hobby but if he gets pulled over he might get hassled as well as the range.

if anyone can help i would greatly appreciate it. iam trying to see if any local dealers iam not aware of will reply..

thanks

Point them to the DoJ FAQ page that says anyone over 18 can take the test:

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/hscfaqs.htm#a5

Are there any minimum qualifications/requirements for a person who wants to take the Handgun Safety Certificate (HSC) test?

The only requirements are that the Handgun Safety Certificate (HSC) applicant must be at least 18 years of age and must present clear evidence of identity and age by presenting a California Driver's License or California Department of Motor Vehicles Identification Card.

If they still wont do it, tell them to call the DoJ.

x2delight
03-19-2006, 10:28 PM
.........I can chose to not sell things to people a certain age, and maybe I can chose not to administer the HSC on people under 21, because I don't feel like it. The legally protected categories are a different story: I can't refuse to serve whites or men or heterosexuals (discrimination by race, gender, sexual orientation), nor can I discriminate on age if people over 40 are involved, but that is not relevant here.

well this is pretty much what they are going by.. they dont want to nor they have to because they dont feel anyone under 21 needs it. i cant force them because they choose not to do it for people under 21. i guess its because those under 21 cant legally buy a handgun so it serves them no real purpose to do the hsc.

eh iam all outta options either hes gona have to risk it or wait another year till hes 21.

Jeff Rambo
03-19-2006, 10:33 PM
Both of these sound like bad ideas in the situation of a person under 21 who legally owns and shoots handguns - a very unusual but not illegal situation. If you are buying ammo for a handgun, be honest about it - even if that means inconvenience (like for example having to go ammo shopping with your dad). Being in an unusual situation means that one is more likely to attract attention from law enforcement. At that point, it is most important to be absolutely squeaky clean. Imagine that you go to the range (under 21 with a handgun), and the clerk at the counter looks at your drivers license once you are shooting, decides that because you are under 21 you must be a criminal, calls the cops, an over-eager local officer comes by and questions you, and in your range bag they find a receipt from Walmart for a few hundred rounds or Winchester White Box, with YOUR credit card number on it. At this point, if the local DA wants to be an *** about it (unlikely but possible), you have a real problem, which will likely make it so you can't own any guns for a long time. On the other hand, if they found a Walmart receipt with your dad's credit card number on it, then everything is perfectly legal, and the DA can stew in his own juice.

(Fortunately, I've been 21 several times over, so I no longer worry about this stuff. Buying ammo at Walmart is the only place I've been carded in over a decade. But being another unusual category, namely a non-US-citizen who owns guns and shoots them, I like to be very careful to understand the law, and stay on the correct side of it.)

To clarify, treelogger- my post was not to advocate using this as means to circumvent the law. It was in response to a question that was asked in regards to buying handgun caliber ammo for long guns. I am not nor will I be advocating anything illegal, either it be clear-cut or borderline.

CowtownBallin
03-19-2006, 11:20 PM
I say print out the section where it says anyone over 18 can take the HSC (I'm 20 and own two pistols) and take it to your local gun dealer. If they still don't want to do it, well, take ALL your business elsewhere. That kind of attitude really bothers me.

x2delight
03-20-2006, 6:25 AM
I say print out the section where it says anyone over 18 can take the HSC (I'm 20 and own two pistols) and take it to your local gun dealer. If they still don't want to do it, well, take ALL your business elsewhere. That kind of attitude really bothers me.

its not that they dont knowabout it.. its just they refuse to do it for their own problems.They know the hsc can be done for people 18-20 they just dont wanna do it. i dont understand people these days

islanderman7
03-20-2006, 2:03 PM

thats why you pay w/ cash