PDA

View Full Version : Mexican mauser questions

bluerider
05-26-2010, 5:56 PM
I recently received a 1924 Belgian made Mexican Mauser and I have a few questions about it:

It has a 16" barrel and I was wondering what the twist rate is and what bullet it was designed to shoot. Along those lines does any one have any recommendations for a bullet/powder combo?

My rifle has a front sight with slots in it for a hood. Would this rifle have been issued with a front sight hood or was this just a generic sight used on several Mauser models made by FN.

There is an unusual bracket on the right side of the butt stock. I have been told that this was for some type of rack. Does anyone have a pic or a reference to what any of those racks looked like or how they were used.

Itís a fun little gun to shoot, but it does have a loud bark.

Milsurp Collector
05-26-2010, 6:30 PM
I recently received a 1924 Belgian made Mexican Mauser and I have a few questions about it:

It has a 16" barrel and I was wondering what the twist rate is and what bullet it was designed to shoot. Along those lines does any one have any recommendations for a bullet/powder combo?

7x57 twist rate was 1 in 9"

For loads see
http://www.chuckhawks.com/7mm.htm
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=4843
http://www.mausercentral.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20183
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/2330627/page/1

diginit
05-26-2010, 6:40 PM
The front sight should have a hood. Check gunbroker.com. They're a dime a dozen.

TRAP55
05-27-2010, 2:42 PM
Standard twist rate was 1-9" for the 175grn ball ammo. Twist rates varied from 1-8.5" to 1-10".
The Mexicans used 155 and 162grn ball, and that's what your sights are set for. I've had great results with 139gr.
There is an unusual bracket on the right side of the butt stock. I have been told that this was for some type of rack. Does anyone have a pic or a reference to what any of those racks looked like or how they were used.
You lucky dog, you need to post some pics, but I think you have a rare Mexican Cavalry Carbine. The "bracket" if rectangle shaped, is a saddle ring of sorts. Get some pics up!

nick
05-27-2010, 2:51 PM
Is that Mauser US-legal?

TRAP55
05-27-2010, 3:04 PM
Yep, barrel length just barely makes it.

nick
05-27-2010, 6:24 PM
Yep, barrel length just barely makes it.

Not quite what I meant, but that works, too :)

mievil
05-27-2010, 7:29 PM
Is that Mauser US-legal?

yuk, yuk, yuk

:rolleyes:

TRICKSTER
05-27-2010, 7:41 PM
Is that Mauser US-legal?

It's legal in 49 states. AZ is questionable.

Colt-45
05-27-2010, 7:48 PM
It's legal in 49 states. AZ is questionable.

Good one.:rolleyes: lol

jamesob
05-27-2010, 8:00 PM
you better hope its a legal one, transporting an illegal is a felony.

nick
05-27-2010, 8:44 PM
you better hope its a legal one, transporting an illegal is a felony.

No biggie, it's not enforced in CA.

bluerider
05-29-2010, 11:12 AM
Standard twist rate was 1-9" for the 175grn ball ammo. Twist rates varied from 1-8.5" to 1-10".
The Mexicans used 155 and 162grn ball, and that's what your sights are set for. I've had great results with 139gr.

You lucky dog, you need to post some pics, but I think you have a rare Mexican Cavalry Carbine. The "bracket" if rectangle shaped, is a saddle ring of sorts. Get some pics up!

Thanks for the info on bullet wright, that is exacvtly what I was looking for. I have been having problems getting 120 gr spitzers on paper at 50 yrds. I can get them tio group nicely at 15 yrds but as I go further out nothing. Now I have a direction to look.

Yes it is the short cavalry carbine. When I hear the word cavalry I think horses and I am having a hard time imagining how that bracket would attach to a saddle.

Sorry for the delay with pics here are a few and if anyone would like to see something not pictured let me know.
http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq259/rcorell/other/mexicanmauser.jpg

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq259/rcorell/other/carbineringJPG.jpg

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq259/rcorell/other/1924mexicancrest.jpg

TRAP55
05-29-2010, 1:11 PM
That's what you have, I'm envious!
Take care of it, you have a good investment.
Those Mex Mausers weren't very well taken care of. Take it apart for a good cleaning, if you haven't already. There's likely heavy rust under the wood that needs to be cleaned up and oiled. The stock will clean up with a good rub down of linseed oil and 0000 steel wool. Wipe the inside of the stock down the same way.
I've never seen how that bracket works on a saddle mount, it's definitely one of a kind on Mausers.

Mike A
05-29-2010, 8:29 PM
I have had an identical carbine for many years; bought it from a retired bank guard who had been a federal cop before that. These are Mexican police, not army weapons.

A really great collector's item--I'm not sure what "rare" really means any more, but you WON'T find another. Like most FN products, they are beautifully made. And it DO "bark"!

bluerider
05-31-2010, 10:10 AM
That's what you have, I'm envious!
Take care of it, you have a good investment.
Those Mex Mausers weren't very well taken care of. Take it apart for a good cleaning, if you haven't already. There's likely heavy rust under the wood that needs to be cleaned up and oiled. The stock will clean up with a good rub down of linseed oil and 0000 steel wool. Wipe the inside of the stock down the same way.
I've never seen how that bracket works on a saddle mount, it's definitely one of a kind on Mausers.

I've heard the same thing but mine seems to be in decent condition. That may be due to having spent time in the safe of a retired gunsmith. I don't have to correct tool to remove the stock but I have looked under the handguard and it looks great. I do plan on getting the correct tool so I can remove the stock but I am not sure how much work I will do to the wood. That is my area of expertise but I am leaning towards a bit of orange cleaner and some paste wax and leaving it as is.

bluerider
05-31-2010, 10:15 AM
I have had an identical carbine for many years; bought it from a retired bank guard who had been a federal cop before that. These are Mexican police, not army weapons.

A really great collector's item--I'm not sure what "rare" really means any more, but you WON'T find another. Like most FN products, they are beautifully made. And it DO "bark"!

What combo of bullet and powder are you shooting out of yours.

nick
05-31-2010, 10:42 AM
I wouldn't sand the stock with steel wool if you want to keep the collector's value.

Tenamaxtle
05-31-2010, 12:08 PM
YUp, is a cavalry carbine. The bracket is to hold a lanyard that was tied to shooter/rider right arm IIRC.

TRAP55
05-31-2010, 12:58 PM
I wouldn't sand the stock with steel wool if you want to keep the collector's value.
Nick, Guess I should have been a little more clear about what I meant.
After close to 100 years, the wood on these stocks is dry, and have dirt, grime, and oil ground into the grain. The linseed oil soaks in, softens it up, and lifts it out. You don't use the steel wool to "sand", you use it to buff the wood surface clean, working with the grain. Then use a soft cotton rag to do the same, you'll be surprised how much crap will come off the stock, and most times, it's hiding some nice grained wood.
Most of these old Mausers were never pulled out of the stock for cleaning and oiling, especially Latin American Mausers. Dirt, dust, and grime gets under the wood and holds moisture, and the moisture causes pitting under the wood.
The linseed serves two purposes, it cleans and conditions/preserves the wood. A good soak on the bottom of the handguards will make em less likely to crack too.
Did a little research on that saddle ring "bar". The Mex cavalry at that time period was using a modified 1904 McClellan saddle, having attachments at the front, for the rifle to hang straight down, and one on the back of the saddle, so it could be stowed cross ways with a bedroll. Later this was revised for the soldier to carry the rifle slung on his back so that it was never left with the mount.
Got a tip from a buddy to watch "The Wild Bunch", the extras that played the Mex Cavalry, were actual Mex Cavalry, and some are packing your Carbine. Rumor has it, that's when and how a lot of these got into the states. That's one reason they are rare, not many got here. The other reason is, the short Mex 98 action is highly prized for lightweight sporters.

Mac
05-31-2010, 4:19 PM
Why do I not receive stuff like that I ask?