PDA

View Full Version : gunsmithing license?

wolfsong
03-19-2006, 1:00 PM
Can anyone here tell me what type of licenses/background etc. you would need to start a gunsmithing business? Strictly smithing, no sales or transfers, just repairs and enhancements. I imagine that you'd have to have approved safes and storage and obviously be legal to possess and handle firearms, and of course gunsmithing training. If you aren't selling manufactured ammo or guns, could you sell the reloading components without a dealer's license? I have a friend who is medically retired from the Dept. of Corrections, and he is good with repairs and is very knowledgable about seemingly every make and caliber there is. Seems like a natural direction for him to go, but he's concerned about liabilities, legalities, the ATF and DOJ,etc. Any input out there? Thanks, peace and God bless, Wolfsong.

kantstudien
03-19-2006, 3:00 PM
Gunsmithing license = FFL if you intend to keep firearms in your possession when the owners are not around. That is all you need (other than a knowledge of how to actually work on firearms).

metalhead357
03-19-2006, 7:40 PM
Gunsmithing license = FFL if you intend to keep firearms in your possession when the owners are not around. That is all you need (other than a knowledge of how to actually work on firearms).

FWIW~ That's be correct as far as I know...to which I would only add...a business licence and either gwetting bonded or some liability insurance (and LOTS of it)...............

Metalhead