PDA

View Full Version : I have a hearing in a month for relief from Firearms Prohibition..

JGarrison
03-19-2006, 10:00 AM
Back in 02 I spent a night in the mental health lockup in Sacramento. Long story short, found out wife was cheating, the guy she was cheating with called the police cause he thought I was coming to kill him. The police picked me up sound asleep at my cousins house, and gave me a 5150, which says I'm a danger to myself or someone else. They held me overnight and released me the next morning after the shrink found out the guy was full of **** who had called in. Well because of that my name went on a list with the DOJ and it said I couldn't own a firearm for 5 years. Because of ONE phone call all this happen. I have finally decided to get it off my record if I can. My quesion is has anyone even heard of someone going to one of these? I have no idea what to expect, all I know if I have a court date of April 13th! I applied for a job with the Dept of Corrections last year, I passed all the tests and physical and the only reason I was turned down was because of this.

Oh, and here is all I can really find on the net about it..

http://www.pai-ca.org/pubs/542501.htm

xenophobe
03-19-2006, 10:43 AM
Yes, you can get your rights to own firearms back. You need to jump through a few hoops though. I've seen the actual certificate where the DOJ issues for someone who has done this. We were allowed to photocopy it and hang it on the wall, cause we'd never seen one before. lol

Well, I hope you get it cleared up.

glen avon
03-19-2006, 10:49 AM
criminy hire a lawyer yesterday and don't fool around with this.

Bladewurk
03-19-2006, 10:52 AM
Wow,this same thing happened to me ten years ago!

JGarrison
03-19-2006, 10:54 AM
criminy hire a lawyer yesterday and don't fool around with this.

I live paycheck to paycheck, no way I could afford an lawyer. The 5 years is up next year, and I'm having shoulder surgery in May so even when I go to reapply with CDC it will be in 07. From what I read online it's going to be the states responsibility to show I can't safely own a firearm, and they don't have anything on me to say that. Besides a few speeding tickets, my name has never been in the police system except for this one phone call back in 02. Same job 8 years, proud dad, etc...so I was going to see how my luck fared just showing up to the hearing.

glen avon
03-19-2006, 12:00 PM
I suppose it's safe to say you will be performing your own surgery too? I'd rather have my good name and a bum shoulder.

your call.

good luck, you will need it.

might I suggest that only a crazy person would attend one of these hearings without a lawyer and based on some internet information? ;)

JGarrison
03-19-2006, 12:14 PM
I suppose it's safe to say you will be performing your own surgery too? I'd rather have my good name and a bum shoulder.

your call.

good luck, you will need it.

might I suggest that only a crazy person would attend one of these hearings without a lawyer and based on some internet information? ;)

Sorry, the shoulder is toast and hurts me everyday, it can't wait. And no not doing the surgery, that's what I pay $100 a month in health care for;p

Like I said, I can't afford a lawyer, and if worse case it gets denied, I wait another year till the 5 years is up. It's not some life or death matter to me, I just wanted to see if anyone had ever been to one or heard of it. Thanks!:)

paradox
03-19-2006, 12:42 PM
You don't need a lawer. Be honest and polite to the judge and you should be fine. A close friend of mine got is right to firearms re-instated a few years after doing 90 days in county jail for illegally carrying an illegal wallet gun. He didn't pay a lawer for his hearing. You shouldn't have a problem.

JGarrison
03-19-2006, 1:16 PM
From the DOJ site, I'm gonna request the paperwork like it says I can in 8100-3 section, see what they even have.

(3) Any person who is subject to paragraph (1) may petition the superior court of his or her county of residence for an order that he or she may own, possess, have custody or control over, receive, or purchase firearms. At the time the petition is filed, the clerk of the court shall set a hearing date and notify the person, the Department of Justice, and the district attorney. The people of the State of California shall be the respondent in the proceeding and shall be represented by the district attorney. Upon motion of the district attorney, or upon its own motion, the superior court may transfer the petition to the county in which the person resided at the time of the statements, or the county in which the person made the statements. Within seven days after receiving notice of the petition, the Department of Justice shall file copies of the reports described in Section 8105 with the superior court. The reports shall be disclosed upon request to the person and to the district attorney. The district attorney shall be entitled to a continuance of the hearing to a date of not less than 14 days after the district attorney is notified of the hearing date by the clerk of the court. The court, upon motion of the petitioner establishing that confidential information is likely to be discussed during the hearing that would cause harm to the person, shall conduct the hearing in camera with only the relevant parties present, unless the court finds that the public interest would be better served by conducting the hearing in public. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, declarations, police reports, including criminal history information, and any other material and relevant evidence that is not excluded under Section 352 of the Evidence Code, shall be admissible at the hearing under this paragraph. If the court finds by a preponderance of the evidence that the person would be likely to use firearms in a safe and lawful manner, the court shall order that the person may have custody or control over, receive, possess, or purchase firearms.

FABIO GETS GOOSED!!!
03-19-2006, 1:24 PM
Back in 02 I spent a night in the mental health lockup in Sacramento. Long story short, found out wife was cheating, the guy she was cheating with called the police cause he thought I was coming to kill him. The police picked me up sound asleep at my cousins house, and gave me a 5150, which says I'm a danger to myself or someone else. They held me overnight and released me the next morning after the shrink found out the guy was full of **** who had called in. Well because of that my name went on a list with the DOJ and it said I couldn't own a firearm for 5 years. Because of ONE phone call all this happen. I have finally decided to get it off my record if I can. My quesion is has anyone even heard of someone going to one of these? I have no idea what to expect, all I know if I have a court date of April 13th! I applied for a job with the Dept of Corrections last year, I passed all the tests and physical and the only reason I was turned down was because of this.

Oh, and here is all I can really find on the net about it..

http://www.pai-ca.org/pubs/542501.htm

If you can't afford an attorney, you can't afford an attorney. But you should at least show up with some evidence other than your testimony to show that you would be likely to use firearms in a "safe and lawful manner." Looks like the standard for admissibility of evidence is pretty relaxed in these hearings (see Welfare & Institutions Code section 8103(f)). Can you at least get a declaration from your wife about the circumstances of the 5150 detention? (You didn't say ex-wife so I'm assuming you're still married, if not I apologize.) How about a declaration from a therapist? Or the shrink who evaluated you when you were 5150'd? Do a little footwork before the hearing, don't just show up expecting to get what you want because you're honest and polite to the judge. Bring some additional evidence from third parties that will help the judge feel better about approving the petition.

JGarrison
03-19-2006, 1:26 PM
If you can't afford an attorney, you can't afford an attorney. But you should at least show up with some evidence other than your testimony to show that you would be likely to use firearms in a "safe and lawful manner." Looks like the standard for admissibility of evidence is pretty relaxed in these hearings (see Welfare & Institutions Code section 8103(f)). Can you at least get a declaration from your wife about the circumstances of the 5150 detention? (You didn't say ex-wife so I'm assuming you're still married, if not I apologize.) How about a declaration from a therapist? Or the shrink who evaluated you when you were 5150'd? Do a little footwork before the hearing, don't just show up expecting to get what you want because you're honest and polite to the judge. Bring some additional evidence from third parties that will help the judge feel better about approving the petition.

Good advice! No we are no longer married, but I wonder if I should get some letters from a few people, those who have known me for a long time. Or maybe even a mental evaluation from a shrink, showing I'm A OK. I'll see what this paperwork is that they get next week, cause I really don't have anything left from when I was there 4 years ago.

Pablo
03-19-2006, 1:36 PM
Welcome to the forums JGarrison, that's is a really sad story man! Hopefully you will regain your right to keep and bear arms! It would be nice if you keep us informed just as a reference

Good luck!!! :)

Charliegone
03-19-2006, 2:53 PM
I think it would be a good idea that some legislation be brought up to prevent these kind of unjust actions.;)

artherd
03-19-2006, 2:56 PM
Just explain openly and honestly to the judge exactly what happened, and why you feel you were wronged.

Bring as much supporting evidence as you can. I'd supeona the doctors, and the person who made the call in the first place.

If you want to win, I would recommend representation, but it's worth a SWAG for free I suppose.

Like you said, can't hurt and in 1 year it's gone anyway.

m1371
03-19-2006, 11:30 PM
JGarrison - No real advice to offer you concerning this whole situation. Just wanted to throw a solid "GOOD LUCK" over to you for when you go to court. Hope you get this all squared away in your favor.

Henry47
03-20-2006, 12:47 AM
JGarrison - No real advice to offer you concerning this whole situation. Just wanted to throw a solid "GOOD LUCK" over to you for when you go to court. Hope you get this all squared away in your favor.

same here, good luck with everything. BTW, you are a better person than I am. If my wife put me in the situation she put you, i'd be posting from prison right about now for a double homicide. (or at least attempted murder) :mad:

JGarrison
03-20-2006, 7:09 AM
Thanks for the support guys, I'm thinking about maybe contacting the DA that is going to be doing the case, maybe see if they are even going to pursue it and if they are maybe I can come to an agreement to go see a shrink and get an OK or something. Is that something I can do, contact them I mean?

glen avon
03-20-2006, 7:53 AM
yes, but if the DA is not straight up with you, you will be at a disadvantage.

JGarrison
03-20-2006, 8:16 AM

Well, since I didn't actually commit a crime, hopefully they won't feed me any BS! I'm gonna call them later this week, and then request all the docs they got as well, see what they even have.

JGarrison
03-20-2006, 8:17 AM

Oh and thanks for the PM, I hadn't read a few of those things!

Bobshouse
03-20-2006, 11:22 AM
If you lose in court, can they extend the ban? Could the DA come after you again and reimpose the sanctions for another 5 year term, using the judge's decision against you?

Bob

JGarrison
03-20-2006, 11:32 AM
If you lose in court, can they extend the ban? Could the DA come after you again and reimpose the sanctions for another 5 year term, using the judge's decision against you?

Bob

No, the original ban is just for 5 years, I have not recieved another 5150 or even been in trouble with the law, so they would have no grounds to extend it.

bg
03-20-2006, 6:23 PM
I haven't read all the posts so if this was mentioned sorry
bout that. I'd get characters reference letters and a
job performance letter and take em to court. Can never
have enough paperwork on the positive side. At least
you'll know whats going on once you go..

Good luck with it.

AntiBubba 2.1
03-20-2006, 8:15 PM
You can't afford a lawyer, but California is awash in free legal help. I don't know where you live, but do a search on Legal Aid for your area. Or if you are near a law school, maybe you can find a student who can help you with the paperwork (they cannot legally represent you or give legal advice, though). Even a paralegal can help you organize and prepare for court.

artherd
03-20-2006, 9:57 PM
Well, since I didn't actually commit a crime, hopefully they won't feed me any BS!
Hah! I'd love to agree with you, but I've dealt with the DAs before...

The judge at least is likely to fairly weigh the evidence presented him. Never forget the DA is your legal adversary.

Mark in Eureka
03-21-2006, 1:12 AM
I think there is a misunderstanding here. A 5150 is a 3 day hold for obsevation. There is a court order if you are commited. Did you ever see a judge about this. You are not commited by a 5150, but held for observation. If you are released early then the mental health doctors/workers consider you NOT to be a danger to self or others.

I "think" that the disability does not attach until you see the judge and he ceritifies you for continued confinement/therpy. Until then you are under observation.

If it was me, I would applie for a test background check. Someone here should know how you start that with DOJ. If you pass, life is good. If there is a problem, then you go from there and go to court.

I had a friend that went thru pretty much what you did. He was in for 2 days, and then released. Got a lawyers Opinion saying it did not apply since he was under observation only. Applied for a weapon and was cleared.

Mark in Eureka
03-21-2006, 1:20 AM
I think there is a misunderstanding here. A 5150 is a 3 day hold for obsevation. There is a court order if you are commited. Did you ever see a judge about this. You are not commited by a 5150, but held for observation. If you are released early then the mental health doctors/workers consider you NOT to be a danger to self or others.

I "think" that the disability does not attach until you see the judge and he ceritifies you for continued confinement/therpy. Until then you are under observation.

If it was me, I would applie for a test background check. Someone here should know how you start that with DOJ. If you pass, life is good. If there is a problem, then you go from there and go to court.

I had a friend that went thru pretty much what you did. He was in for 2 days, and then released. Got a lawyers Opinion saying it did not apply since he was under observation only. Applied for a weapon and was cleared.

JGarrison
03-21-2006, 5:55 AM

Nope, never saw a judge, and I was never held for the 3 days, I was released after 1. At the time I remember signing the paperwork, and reading something when I left about not being able to own a firearm, but it wasn't really a concern at the time. I kinda forgot about it till last year, when I tried to get a job with the CDC. They did a background and my name came up on the DOJ list as not being able to own a firearm. So I know I am on the list. I really am just gonna wait till I see what all paperwork I can get together from the facility I was at, and then go from there. They were suppose to supply the court with all my docs within 7 days of being notified.

metalhead357
03-21-2006, 6:01 AM

You're right but unfortunately you're wrong.....A person does NOT have to see a judge to be held longer....only some (more) paperwork from the overseeing psych physican.....

I've worked in a hospital where 5150's were processed through on thier way to observation. Even the initial hold can/will/does often times "make it into the system" and that is all it takes to be denied. It would certainly be *nice* if they awaited the outcome of the hold before the paperwork saying you cant own guns......but the *fact* you've essentially been deemed ~~~~incompetant~~~and a danger to yourself or others by the nature of the 'hold for observation' itself. I've unfortunately have known too many people going through this....

But as its been noted, a decent lawyer and a *bad* hold, or one where you were actually released early, or one where you were deemed NOT to be a danger, etc. etc. all work in one's favor to get those limitations lifted............

Good luck in court.......... just dont sit there arguing with yourself:eek: and ASK the judge on ANYTHING you're unsure of if'n you go it alone; but as its been noted, there are plenty of free legal places..........

metalhead

JGarrison
03-21-2006, 6:06 AM
You can't afford a lawyer, but California is awash in free legal help. I don't know where you live, but do a search on Legal Aid for your area. Or if you are near a law school, maybe you can find a student who can help you with the paperwork (they cannot legally represent you or give legal advice, though). Even a paralegal can help you organize and prepare for court.

I live in Lodi, my hearing is in Stockton, at the main court there. Thanks for the info, I'll look it up and see if I can find anything! Also, I figure I might as well call a lawyer and see what it would cost, this isn't like some huge case or anything. Does anyone know of any firearm specific lawyers in the Sac/San Joaquin area?

JGarrison
03-21-2006, 8:09 AM
Just a lil update, called the DOJ to ask for the paperwork that they had from when I got the 5150, the info they have to submit to the court. At first the lady said I couldn't have that info, then when I actually read her the law that said all I have to do is request it she changed her tune. They are suppose to call me back later after "looking" into it. :rolleyes:

taloft
03-21-2006, 8:28 AM
I would also see about getting copies of the original reports from the police, and the psychiatrist. The more you know about what is being told to the Judge, the better you can prepare.

JGarrison
03-21-2006, 8:36 AM
I would also see about getting copies of the original reports from the police, and the psychiatrist. The more you know about what is being told to the Judge, the better you can prepare.

Yep, just called the facility I was at and talked to their records lady, she is gonna get back to me to see what I can get. Not sure about the police records, do I just call them? Will they have something from 4 years ago handy?

glen avon
03-21-2006, 8:38 AM
of course you are sending letters by certified mail documenting all of this information, right?

also remember to drop the GC 6250 bomb as appropriate - the public records act.

JGarrison
03-21-2006, 8:51 AM
of course you are sending letters by certified mail documenting all of this information, right?

also remember to drop the GC 6250 bomb as appropriate - the public records act.

I figure I will go the "nice guy" calling and asking route first, if I can't get anywhere this week I will do the certified letter thing next week. Are mental health records open to the public?

glen avon
03-21-2006, 9:05 AM
you don't have time.

send certified letters stating that:

Dear _____:

This letter is to memorialize our telephone conversation on March __, 2006. In that conversation, (recite what was said).

Thank you again for your help in this matter.

Sincerely,

JGarrison"

they will not be offended, these letters are very common and just make sure all parties are on the same page when the phone conversation is referred to later. send them.

Solidforce
03-21-2006, 10:46 AM
is there any way to check your background for things like this?

Is there a way to get a hold of your mental health records or something stating that YES you do have a 5150 on file or this conviction, or that misdemenor...etc?

-SF

Mark in Eureka
03-21-2006, 11:57 AM
You need to get copies of the paper work from mental health. You need to meet with the doctor who released you. Ask him to review your file and then write a letter to the court stating that you were never a risk and your confinment was an error borne out of caution by the police

Solidforce
03-21-2006, 9:39 PM
anyone know?

-SF

troyPhD
03-22-2006, 12:11 AM
It's scary how easy it is to file a restraining order against someone.

JGarrison
03-22-2006, 11:39 AM
Another update, talked with an lawyer today who is familar with these, he really opened my eyes to just how big this is, lol. I know for sure I can't afford him though, he said easy 5-6K. He said my best bet was to talk with the DA in person, tell them the story and tell them I would be willing to undergo a mental assesment of their choice and then see what they say. So that is what I'm gonna do!

JGarrison
03-22-2006, 11:41 AM
anyone know?

-SF

There is a form you can fill out with the DOJ I rememeber reading about, costs about $20 if I remember right. Try and do a search, i cant recall for sure.

taloft
03-22-2006, 12:12 PM
Another update, talked with an lawyer today who is familar with these, he really opened my eyes to just how big this is, lol. I know for sure I can't afford him though, he said easy 5-6K. He said my best bet was to talk with the DA in person, tell them the story and tell them I would be willing to undergo a mental assesment of their choice and then see what they say. So that is what I'm gonna do!

What, is he charging by the page? Seems a bit pricey to me, you might want to shop around.

JGarrison
03-22-2006, 12:45 PM
He was the only one I found in this area who even knew what I was talking about, I haven't had much luck looking in the phonebook or online!:)

JGarrison
04-12-2006, 9:54 AM
Just a lil update, have my hearing tomorrow at 9am. I went into court today to see my court file, and there are exactly two papers in it. One from me when I requested the hearing, and one from DOJ that they had to send in saying where and when I got the 5150. Thats IT. Nothing from the place I was at or anywhere else. I called the DA several times to see if they even are gonna try and case and everytime they say I'm not even in their systems when I give them a case num or name. So I guess I'll just show up and see what happens!

QuickOnTheDraw
04-12-2006, 10:25 AM
Good luck with your case tomorrow! Hope it all works out for you..Post an update when you can..

JGarrison
04-13-2006, 10:50 AM
Well...I WON! I show up at 830, have to sit for 2 hours while other cases are being dealt with, my hearing was all of 4 min once it was my turn. Talked with some court liasion who asked me a few questions right before my hearing, she told the judge what I was requesting, he asked the DA if he had any objections to my case, DA said no and that was it. So I'm a FREE man, lowers here I come;) I'm glad I didnt waste any money on a lawyer!

rssslvr
04-13-2006, 11:09 AM
Congrats:)

artherd
04-13-2006, 11:25 AM
Well...I WON! I show up at 830, have to sit for 2 hours while other cases are being dealt with, my hearing was all of 4 min once it was my turn. Talked with some court liasion who asked me a few questions right before my hearing, she told the judge what I was requesting, he asked the DA if he had any objections to my case, DA said no and that was it. So I'm a FREE man, lowers here I come;) I'm glad I didnt waste any money on a lawyer!

GOOD FOR YOU! Lawyers are not always the solution, I too have been victorious in many Pro Se filings. Hold your head high my firend, and buy some guuuuuns! :)

SC_00_05
04-13-2006, 11:33 AM
Congratulations. Damn, there's probably so much you want to buy.

JGarrison
04-13-2006, 11:41 AM
Congratulations. Damn, there's probably so much you want to buy.

I don't even know where to start, trust me;)

bwiese
04-13-2006, 11:47 AM
You are very lucky. The odds somehow landed in your favor.

But I hope NO ONE takes from this situation that they can/should do something like this without a lawyer - they could end up digging themselves further in the hole.

JGarrison
04-13-2006, 11:54 AM
You are very lucky. The odds somehow landed in your favor.

But I hope NO ONE takes from this situation that they can/should do something like this without a lawyer - they could end up digging themselves further in the hole.

To be honest the DA never even took the time to get the info from my 5150, I think the biggest reason was it was 4 years ago. I think if my 5150 was just a year or two old things might have been different.

rkt88edmo
04-13-2006, 3:05 PM
Good job !

edwardm
04-13-2006, 4:01 PM

Good luck getting CalDOJ to actually UPDATE your record. That's the trick. I've had paperwork sitting in their system for 7 *months* now, and it hasn't budged. Legally, I'm fine. On paper, that's another matter. But as the attorney (and even ATF and CalDOJ said) - what matters is the legal status, not whether some number was punched into a computer.

JGarrison
04-13-2006, 5:16 PM
Good luck getting CalDOJ to actually UPDATE your record. That's the trick. I've had paperwork sitting in their system for 7 *months* now, and it hasn't budged. Legally, I'm fine. On paper, that's another matter. But as the attorney (and even ATF and CalDOJ said) - what matters is the legal status, not whether some number was punched into a computer.

Do you mind saying what paperwork? I actually called DOJ today and asked them, they said as soon as they recieved the notice from the court it would take a week to get my name off the list. I'm gonna call the court next week and make sure they mailed it off.

MrEd
04-13-2006, 8:51 PM
Keep a copy of the courts decision handy , when you DROS something have the FFL send a copy of that to CalDOJ , that should take care of the slow update problem .

JGarrison
04-20-2006, 10:55 AM
I guess if you stay on their ***, they get it done quick. Talked with DOJ on monday, they asked me to fax my court order, they checked it out with the courts and as of yesterday my name was taken OFF. Just put in an order with DD's Ranch for two lowers:D

VeryCoolCat
04-20-2006, 12:29 PM
Been there, done that. When I was like 13 I got held on 72 hours in a juvenile facility saying I was a danger to myself or others after a huge family fight. Now, if you ever had asked yourself "could i be crazy?", well I know for certain I am not just by spending 3 days there. Whooo these people were nuts.

Unfortunately, because I didn't rob a liquor store, or get caught selling drugs (which i would never do) it wasn't criminal it was medical and got put on my record and didn't get cleared when i turned 18. I had a choice wait a year or go to court.
-----------

(1) Have the DOJ mail you a paper requesting a hearing (takes about a month).
(2) Contact the mental instution you were held at to get a release form for them to mail your records to the district atourney or to you, (preferably to you).
(3) On that date, go in, they'll have a doctor interview you after checking your records. Then you sit in a mock courtroom and they give you your rights back.

Unless your really do show signs of medical illness (depression, bi-polar, skitzo) there is no real reason for them to deny you your right.

The court isn't really to determine whether your a danger (the hospital decides that) but whether your can grasp exactly what a firearm is and the consequences. To see if your "Mentally Competent" to own a firearm.

Don't worry about lawyers on this, its waste of money. After its settled, then it should not come up again,

Just make sure you give at least a full week after until you go out to buy a firearm so they have a chance to mail out the "YOUR NOT CRAZY" letter to the appriopriate people.

when you sign the regular DROS form, do not check under "are you considered a risk to yourself" because the dont even bother with it if anything is checked.

edwardm
04-20-2006, 1:21 PM
Do you mind saying what paperwork? I actually called DOJ today and asked them, they said as soon as they recieved the notice from the court it would take a week to get my name off the list. I'm gonna call the court next week and make sure they mailed it off.

I had a wobbler on my record, and got a 17(b)(3) determination. Problem was getting it on my record at CalDOJ. It took 7 MONTHS to get on the record. And even then I come to find out that the record was not wholly accurate. I just got off the phone with Records, and they're fixing it and sending me a copy.

But imagine that. I can DROS again! And it only took me...13 years!