PDA

View Full Version : The List

kenc9
03-19-2006, 6:54 AM
Have these AR15's always been on the list?

Rock River Arms, Inc. Car A2
Rock River Arms, Inc. Car A4 Flattop
Rock River Arms, Inc. LE Tactical Carbine
Rock River Arms, Inc. NM A2 - DCM Legal
Rock River Arms, Inc. Standard A-2
Rock River Arms, Inc. Standard A-4 Flattop
Eagle Arms EA-15 A2 H-BAR
Eagle Arms EA-15 E1
Eagle Arms M15 (all)

Won't any receivers having these names on them not get Dros'ed?

-ken

thmpr
03-19-2006, 7:17 AM
http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/awguide/index.html

Check this website. It has all the AW rifles by make and model.

kenc9
03-19-2006, 7:23 AM
I see these names there too, again, if you do a buildup and have a Rock River lower how can it be legal?
I guess I am confused...

-ken

DV8
03-19-2006, 7:33 AM
RRA lowers are marked LAR-15. Since the model is not on the list even though the manufacturer is, you can still buy it legally.

Anything else that is specifically named by Make and Model isnt allowed because even in its bare form its considered to be an AW.

thmpr
03-19-2006, 7:45 AM
I see these names there too, again, if you do a buildup and have a Rock River lower how can it be legal?
I guess I am confused...

-ken

Ken,
Please read the California AR/AK "Series" Assault Weapon Faqs above that is highlighted in RED. This will make more sense after reading it several times.

Remember that in order to be legal, the lower must not be listed by make and model. Key word is "AND". If the make is listed but the model is not than it is legal. For example: RRA--> LAR-15. I am not a lawyer or providing advice to you but this is how i interperted the FAQs and AW law.

Good luck!!!

xenophobe
03-19-2006, 9:56 AM
Yes, but if you have a RRA and it matches one of those pictures... expect a world of grief. AND being a test case.

Technically, the "model" may be interpreted as the configuration of the rifle instead of receiver markings... even though it probably wouldn't stand in court, it probably would go to court...

That's why we won't touch RRA, Wilson Tactical, Bushmaster Carbon 15, etc... those are just too close to worth the risk of a confused traffic cop looking into some picture book to determine if you're breaking the law or not.

Apeman88
03-19-2006, 10:17 AM
I just got a RRA from Cold Ware Shooter... it was shipped to a local FFL in Orange, CA and I just picked it up last Friday. Since it was legally purchased and Drosed in the state of CA, does this not proof the firearm is legal for CA? The Dros paperwork has the make, model and serial of the RRA... and these paperwork are sent to DOJ (or is it?) and so the DOJ should know what I have and if I have something that is "illegal"... they should contact me... no?

Ken W

xenophobe
03-19-2006, 11:14 AM
The paperwork is not sent to DOJ. When they become listed, you will need to submit registration paperwork directly to DOJ.

If RRA LAR-15 does not get listed when the new list is published, then either they didn't notice it, or already consider it listed. The latter assumption would be a bad thing.

DV8
03-19-2006, 11:59 AM
If RRA LAR-15 does not get listed when the new list is published, then either they didn't notice it, or already consider it listed. The latter assumption would be a bad thing.

Thats one reason I didnt go with the LAR-15. My lower search started back in January and I had a hard time finding someone with stags or had other lowers in stock. All they had were RRAs. Eventually I found a good price on a LCW.

I'm not saying the LAR-15 is illegal, my opinion is if there are other unlisted make and models out there why chance it? Especially now that the prices are somewhat reasonable. I dont have the time or resources to fight in court if by chance I get picked as a test case.

For you guys who already have one, chill and wait to see how it all plays out.

kenc9
03-19-2006, 12:13 PM
I am glad I bought a Stag and a High Standards Lower. As far as I know this Isn't sold as a complete rifle so shouldn't or couldn't be on a list. Anyone of a complete AR15 with a lower made from either of these?

-ken

PIRATE14
03-19-2006, 12:22 PM
Thats one reason I didnt go with the LAR-15. My lower search started back in January and I had a hard time finding someone with stags or had other lowers in stock. All they had were RRAs. Eventually I found a good price on a LCW.

I'm not saying the LAR-15 is illegal, my opinion is if there are other unlisted make and models out there why chance it? Especially now that the prices are somewhat reasonable. I dont have the time or resources to fight in court if by chance I get picked as a test case.

For you guys who already have one, chill and wait to see how it all plays out.

CWS brought these in because a lot of guys wanted them and techinically speaking they are legal cause they're not on the list.....

DOJ knows about the LAR-15 and CWS provided the DOJ w/ pictures on the spot.....plus they looked at about 200 sitting in boxes so......

I usually advise guys to have several different brands of lowers......not to make more sales but we are all waiting to see what will be next chapter in the off-list saga so u guys being a gamblers and not adverse to risk buy while you still legally can do so...................

xenophobe
03-19-2006, 12:28 PM
DOJ knows about the LAR-15 and CWS provided the DOJ w/ pictures on the spot.....plus they looked at about 200 sitting in boxes so......

That's good news. The only thing I'm worried about is the lowest common denominator, the uninformed street cop thinking they made the bust of the century... or thinking they'll get some kind of promotion...

I usually advise guys to have several different brands of lowers......not to make more sales but we are all waiting to see what will be next chapter in the off-list saga so u guys being a gamblers and not adverse to risk buy while you still legally can do so...................

I couldn't agree more. I don't care where you get them from, just get several different brands. Hell, I'm a retail dealer, but I'm still buying personal stuff from you! lol STOP getting in cool stuff that I want. hehe

Apeman88
03-19-2006, 12:47 PM
The paperwork is not sent to DOJ. When they become listed, you will need to submit registration paperwork directly to DOJ.

I understand if and when they get listed... it's the owner's responsiblity to register... what I meant is... if it is "illegal" now... wouldn't the DOJ or other agency know you have one since the info is on the DROS paperwork? Sorry... don't know how the paper work flows.

As for myself, I got a RRA, LMT and Superior already just to cover myself... and most likely will get more :D

Ken W

xenophobe
03-19-2006, 1:01 PM
I understand if and when they get listed... it's the owner's responsiblity to register... what I meant is... if it is "illegal" now... wouldn't the DOJ or other agency know you have one since the info is on the DROS paperwork? Sorry... don't know how the paper work flows.

No. Long guns are not registered like handguns when you submit a DROS. The State only knows you are initiating a background check for a long gun. They do not know model, type, serial number, etc... only that you have applied for a background check.

With pistols, you submit the make, model, caliber, bbl length, country of origin, and that gets logged into a database while your background check is being processed.

Hope that helps.