PDA

View Full Version : Gun shops, repairs/service and serial numbers

edwardm
03-19-2006, 6:09 AM
Quick question -

Took one of my rifles to have a scope adjusted at a local gunshop. Since I had to leave it there, the shop took my name, addy, even D/L #. Odd part was they used this little credit-card swipe device thing and it populated all the info from my driver's license on screen. Printed out the work order, got my tag and left. Also took down the serial on the rifle, make, model, etc. Pretty standard stuff.

I know that gunshops will gather that same info in a similar way when doing a DROS, but are they now running NICS/CalDOJ/AFS checks when people bring stuff in to have it worked on as well? I realize they have to be anal about inventory, in case BATFE comes to visit and check their books. Just wondering if some new law kicked in after Jan 1, since previously, all data was just entered manually onto a form as my "receipt" to come pick up the gun after service.

johnny_22
03-19-2006, 7:21 AM
In fact, the gunsmith explained that the data does not go to the DOJ, it is only for his electronic bound book. Nothing to do wiht NICS.

No serial number on my old rifle. Apparently, that was common prior to 1968.

edwardm
03-19-2006, 7:47 AM
Interesting - thanks for the info. Do they keep records of repair in perpetuity, or do they remove them once the gun is picked up? Seems like a possible way for CalDOJ to run a de facto, if not de jure, registration system. It would be incomplete, but it would be something to go on.

xenophobe
03-19-2006, 10:40 AM
A gunsmith needs to keep a seperate log of inbound/outbound repairs. There is no dros or computer check available or required. If they log it into the computer, it's only for printing out receipts and keeping personal records.

Kruzr
03-19-2006, 3:03 PM
A gunsmith is an FFL and must maintain a bound book of every gun that comes in the door for work and every gun that leaves the safe and goes out the door. The records stay with him and are available to see during DOJ and ATF inspections.

megavolt121
03-19-2006, 5:19 PM
Quick question -

I know that gunshops will gather that same info in a similar way when doing a DROS, but are they now running NICS/CalDOJ/AFS checks when people bring stuff in to have it worked on as well? I realize they have to be anal about inventory, in case BATFE comes to visit and check their books. Just wondering if some new law kicked in after Jan 1, since previously, all data was just entered manually onto a form as my "receipt" to come pick up the gun after service.

They just used a scanner to populate their database with your info from the your DL. This is a common scanner than anyone can buy for a few hundred bucks. In fact many bars have one just to verify age. I'm assuming they do enough work that having that device saves time in logging weapons in and out of thier books, not to mention it reduces the chances of mistakes being made on identity.

EOD Guy
03-19-2006, 5:47 PM
A gunsmith is an FFL and must maintain a bound book of every gun that comes in the door for work and every gun that leaves the safe and goes out the door. The records stay with him and are available to see during DOJ and ATF inspections.

Only if he keeps the firearm overnight. If he returns it to the customer the same day, no bound book entry is required.