PDA

View Full Version : Do I have any High Speed Internet options?

Getoffthecomputer
05-25-2010, 9:52 PM
If I don't want cable TV or a phone line, is there any way to get High Speed without having to pay for the bundled package deal. I just want internet at a good price without having to pay the premium for only wanting internet.

I will soon be moving to Pleasanton, CA. Any suggestions?

ocabj
05-25-2010, 10:30 PM
I'm pretty sure you can get cable internet without getting cable tv service.

JDay
05-25-2010, 11:53 PM
You can get cable internet without a tv package and you can also get DSL without having a phone line (although you may need to activate phone service until you get the install). Cable companies will charge you more per month without the bundled package however, its usually another $10/month plus equipment fee.

odysseus
05-25-2010, 11:59 PM
Right, DSL can be installed without a "line share" to a telco service number. However if nothing is provisioned there right now, as Jday said you may need to jump through a hoop to get there. Also there can be high speed wireless service (line of sight) services in some areas and even wifi, as well as satellite, but of course latency, upload, and service interruptions can be an issue there.

gravedigger
05-26-2010, 12:38 AM
I assume from your post that you will be living in an RV, or some place where a hard wired cable or phone connection would not work. I use an AT&T 875U USB Broadband air card in my truck and have great Internet access on the road. The unlimited data plan is $59.00 per month. With the software on a thumb drive, I can carry the unit with me. Should I encounter a computer without a Net connection, I can install the software quickly, and then plug in the air card for instant internet access. They also make a router that works with it. I purchased one. I plug the air card into it, and then several computers can access the Net connection just as if the router were wired to a cable or DSL feed. It would work great at a campground, where say, a church group in a group of tents would want Net access with their smart phones.

winnre
05-26-2010, 8:22 AM
I had Verizon phone and Internet for $85 a month. Phone was $60 and Internet was $25.

TOO MUCH!

I canceled the phone and went to Magic Jack for $20 a year. But then by Internet went to $45! Darned Verizon!

Solution: I switched my Internet to dslextreme.com and I have been saving money ever since. If you want to sign up with them PM me for my username and save $10! :-)

den888
05-26-2010, 8:29 AM
You can use a Verizon 3G EVDO wireless card. But, it's not really broadband speed compared to DSL, cable or metro ethernet.

Depending on where I am, my Verizon card gives me from 512 kbps - 1.1 mbps download speeds. Cost is not cheap either at $59.99 for 5 GB of downloaded data per month.

DaveFJ80
05-26-2010, 8:55 AM
I've always had cable internet service in the last few places I've lived at (Cox, Time Warner, and now Charter). None of the places gave me any hard time for just setting up internet service only, and most of them will give it to you at the same 'deal' that offer when you get it in a package. But sometimes, like I had to do with Charter, was you may have to agree to some terms like a 24 month contract in order to get those rates.

Just for price comparason, I'm paying $45/month (actually $44.99 even) for 20 mbps download speeds right now (I pull anywhere from 20-28 mbps down). If I wanted a basic service, I would pay $19.99/month for a 1 mbps connection, as that would probably be equivalent to the speed of a 3G EVDO wireless card (which I have through Verizon), but at 1/3 the price per month.

Fjold
05-26-2010, 9:17 AM
You can tether your advanced cellphone to your computer and get internet service that way. Just make sure that you sign up for the unlimited data plan or they'll kill you on overcharges.

JDay
05-26-2010, 3:31 PM
I canceled the phone and went to Magic Jack for $20 a year.

I would get rid of Magic Jack if you value your privacy. The software keeps tabs you. They then sell this information to advertisers, how do you think they can afford to charge $20/year? Its all in the EULA.

http://www.magicjack.com/tos/

10. Privacy Policy

Your registration data and certain other information about you are subject to this Terms of Service. You understand that by using the magicJack device you consent to magicJack's collection and use as set forth in these Terms of Service, including the transfer of this information to and from the United States and/or other countries for storage, processing and use by magicJack, its affiliates and business partners to provide you with information about communications-related service.

You acknowledge, consent and agree that magicJack and/or YMAX may access, preserve and disclose your account information if required to do so by law or in a good faith belief that such access preservation or disclosure is reasonably necessary to: (a) comply with legal process; (b) enforce this Agreement; (c) respond to your requests for customer service; or (d) protect the rights, property or personal safety of magicJack, its users and the public.

You understand that the technical processing and transmission of the magicJack device may involve (a) transmissions over various networks; and (b) changes to conform and adapt to technical requirements of connecting networks or devices.

"11. Advertisements

You also understand and agree that use of the magicJack device and Software will include advertisements. Advertisements will be served through the magicPage™ Software or the magicJack softphone - the software/softphone attempts to serve local advertisements and classifieds using a completely automated process that enables us to effectively target dynamically changing content. Our computers may analyze the phone numbers you call and your registration information in order to improve the relevance of the ads. We do not provide any personal information to our advertisers or third parties. magicJack has a policy of restricting advertisers that it believes are inappropriate, but it does not guarantee the accuracy or integrity of any advertisers and does not endorse any of the advertisements that may appear in connection with use of the magicJack device. You also understand and agree that use of the magicJack device and Software may include certain communications, such as service announcements, administrative messages and newsletters, and you will not be able to opt out of receiving them.

JDay
05-26-2010, 3:34 PM
You can use a Verizon 3G EVDO wireless card. But, it's not really broadband speed compared to DSL, cable or metro ethernet.

Depending on where I am, my Verizon card gives me from 512 kbps - 1.1 mbps download speeds. Cost is not cheap either at $59.99 for 5 GB of downloaded data per month.

I use more than that in a day.

Getoffthecomputer
05-26-2010, 9:46 PM
This is all good stuff. Thanks everyone.

I should have been more clear. My family does not watch TV for several reasons, however we (me) might be tempted to every now and then if I was paying for it and it was available. The current deal it looks like we will have to go with is with Comcast for $35 which includes TV and internet. I was hoping to just pay something like $20 just to have highspeed internet.

We are not living in an RV or rural. Just a standard suburbia neighborhood. $35 isn't too bad I just hate being forced to pay for something I don't want. I thought there may be some alternatives which it appears there is not aside from the wireless phone network cards.

paul0660
05-26-2010, 9:58 PM
Good for you not wanting TV.......it just makes you stupid. I am sure you can get DSL service where you will be living, probably for less than $20/mo for the introductory deal, and less than $40 thereafter.

name change
05-29-2010, 4:32 PM
Try Sonic.net (http://www.sonic.net/solutions/home/internet/fusion/) or Astound (http://astound.net/). Sorry, I just dislike ATT and Comcast. I have Sonic (3.0 / 1.0 Mbps) for 2 days. No Complaints so far and they have a really good customer service. The Speed is as promised. Hope it supports your area.

Yelp Reviews (http://www.yelp.com/biz/sonic-net-santa-rosa-3)

DSL Report Reviews (http://www.dslreports.com/comments/896)

jb7706
05-29-2010, 8:32 PM
Head to http://www.broadbandreports.com to get a list of options in your area. Not all encompassing, but my give you some options you had not thought about.