PDA

View Full Version : Fishing trip ideas?

Rusty413
05-25-2010, 8:26 PM
Planning on going fishing this weekend somewhere close to Santa Cruz with some buddies. Was just wondering if anyone had ideas of some good local (within 45 miles) spots that i should check out. We plan on doing some freshwater fishing for bass, trout, whatever, catch and keep or catch and release not that important although I would like to catch and keep so I can cook some yummy trout lol. I just moved to SC in the fall and cus of school havent been able to go out and about that much. But thats changing cus i got my new fishing license. So ya, I would greatly appreciate any input about spots that people like in the area. Thanks!

And if there are any cal gunners that wanna accompany us on our fish slaying endeavors please PM me! I'm always happy to meet new peeps that enjoy fish slaying lol.

Rusty413
05-26-2010, 12:40 AM
Really? No one?

Thefeeder
05-26-2010, 12:50 AM
Head out to the beach

Put on a 3/4-1oz egg sinker, then a swivel, 24-30" leader, tie on a #2 hook, put a 1 1/2" rootbeer color grub, cast and retieve .....perch fun!

mwunsch
05-26-2010, 8:19 AM
Me and a bunch of buddies will be just south of monterey, so that may be close, but we are fishing the ocean in the kelp beds, but youre invited either way my man.

stphnman20
05-26-2010, 8:35 AM
I hate using swivels.. I either use a split shot or a Carolina keeper.

professionalcoyotehunter
05-26-2010, 8:38 AM
Swivels are the way to avoid tangles and feel bites better and break off the hook only rather than lose the whole rig.

Rusty413
05-26-2010, 10:39 AM
Me and a bunch of buddies will be just south of monterey, so that may be close, but we are fishing the ocean in the kelp beds, but youre invited either way my man.

I would love to join you guys, however all my saltwater gear is at my pops house in San Diego and I'm pretty sure my buddies only have freshwater set ups :( But I appreciate the invite none the less.

As for the other suggestions I think we were really planning on freshwater streams and lakes cus our tackle and gear won't really hold up to the heavier salt water fishies.

professionalcoyotehunter
05-26-2010, 10:47 AM
Light tackle mackerel fishing and bonita fishing is a blast with 6 pound test.

Steyrlp10
05-26-2010, 11:52 AM
I'm not familiar with anything near Santa Cruz, but in a few weeks, I'm hitting the Delta. That's one place that you don't have to worry about water levels being too low or that you can't get a bite.

With this oddball weather, the bass at Berryessa were very, very lazy earlier this month.

Rusty413
05-26-2010, 12:45 PM
Light tackle mackerel fishing and bonita fishing is a blast with 6 pound test.

Its not so much that I dont have the right line, rather whether or not my freshwater pole will hold up to it. My freshwater rod & reel set up is more for like trout, bass, and smaller steelhead

professionalcoyotehunter
05-26-2010, 12:47 PM
Sounds perfect. It just makes it more interesting is all.

wilafur
05-26-2010, 2:24 PM
my saltwater reel gave up the ghost during a charter trip earlier this month and i ended up fishing with my fw gear (back up) that was set up for trout. the 4lb line kept on snapping....so i ended up replacing the line with what i could find (20lb). btw, the 20lb line went onto fw gear rated up to 10-12lbs.

caught a gang of calico bass and mackeral and had a blast!

Its not so much that I dont have the right line, rather whether or not my freshwater pole will hold up to it. My freshwater rod & reel set up is more for like trout, bass, and smaller steelhead

Rusty413
05-26-2010, 10:47 PM
Sounds perfect. It just makes it more interesting is all.

Haha I like your style bro :)

outbrakeridah
05-27-2010, 12:51 PM
Lots of local lakes you can check out in Santa Clara County which is not too far from SC. Loch Lomond would be closer to you. Then you have Anderson, Calero, Chesbro, Coyote, Uvas, Almaden, Lexington, Stevens Creek, and the Campbell perc ponds. Haven't gone out this year except for the Delta so search those lakes/reservoirs and see whats going on. All are within 45 mins drive from SC. I would join you guys but will be busy this weekend. Need to get back out to the local reservoirs and see how they're doing.

Rusty413
05-27-2010, 2:55 PM
Cool thanks man! Well I'll let you know how it goes, and maybe next you can join us, were gonna be making a more regular thing of this once we all finish spring quarter.