PDA

View Full Version : Imported AK Parts Kit Legal?

2amend
03-18-2006, 10:38 PM
Can you build an AK with imported parts (that have already been imported), is it legal? In other words is the ATF just enforcing the importation of barrels and receivers into the country now, not prosecuting once they are here?
Thanks!

CowtownBallin
03-18-2006, 10:41 PM
I don't understand the question fully.

The AK parts kits you see out there either don't have a receiver or have the receiver cut in half. At that point, it is no longer a rifle. It is up to you to buy a receiver, and assemble the rifle so that it complies with 922r. So, if you have a semi-automatic centerfire rifle that is imported, it must have 10 or less imported parts, so when you build it, keep that in mind.

And if you didn't know, guys, we now have an AK sub-forum in the "Gun Rights, Political, and Legal" section.

<edit> This is my 223rd post :D

2amend
03-18-2006, 10:45 PM
I mean, if you already have an imported AK47 parts kit (with all matching #'s) and I move to another state and buy receiver. Can I legally use those already imported AK parts to make an operational AK47?

EBWhite
03-18-2006, 11:31 PM
Yes you can. or you can get a ca legal receiver and build one here

2amend
03-18-2006, 11:37 PM
I tried looking for a CA legal AK47 receiver, they seem hard to find. Maybe I am not looking hard enough. Any links for them? Thanks!

CowtownBallin
03-19-2006, 12:27 AM
If you included a location in your profile, maybe I could help you. NorCal or SoCal? There have been threads about DCI lowers and such, all you need is a willing FFL, $55-85 per receiver.

2amend
03-19-2006, 6:11 PM
Thanks for the replies, so the AK kits are going to be harder and harder to find in the future, right? So I better get one ASAP. I am guessing it is also a good investment, if you want to think of it like that.

maxicon
03-19-2006, 6:22 PM
Predicting the availability of parts kits is difficult. They'll dry up, then others will become available. Some types of kits are available for years, others disappear quickly, or the quality will change dramatically, in either direction.

If you've got a type of kit you're interested in, and there are good-quality ones available for a reasonable price, it makes sense to go ahead and get one. The Romanian kits for $125 are a good example - it's unlikely they'll ever be much cheaper, and you can always sell them later for close to what you've got in them if you decide to go with something else.

More expensive kits can be more of a gamble, since a sudden flood of them will send the prices plummeting.

max

Ratters
03-19-2006, 6:27 PM
Remember you need to get a single shot trigger assembly from Tapco or somewhere to replace the full auto trigger that comes with many of the kits. And remind the seller that they can't send the magazine that often comes with the kits. Other than that they are perfectly legal.

Man I can't wait to move to a free state where I can just buy a nicely put together AK for under $500.

Builder
03-19-2006, 7:07 PM
The Federal ban is on importation starting Jan. 2006, so anything here already is ok. CA doesn't have any limit on imported parts in a gun, but the feds do. There are many threads on that. Tapco G2 FCG is good quality and don't worry about full auto as the reason to change the FCG; do it for US parts count. US-made stocks are a good way to increase your US parts count. I don't know where the 10 round AK magazines at CDNN come from....
DCI receivers are great and fit almost perfectly.
Builder

TheMan
03-19-2006, 7:46 PM
The Romanian kits for $125 are a good example - it's unlikely they'll ever be much cheaper, and you can always sell them later for close to what you've got in them if you decide to go with something else.

They're $99 right now, what were you saying about them not being much cheaper?:D

Centerfire has them for that, excellent condition, matching numbers, good chrome bore. I know the bore is good because I picked one up.

AirborneStranger
03-19-2006, 7:49 PM
so if a parts kit comes with fully automatic parts, our receivers (mine is an NDS-3) wont accept the FCG, right?

I ordered a romanian parts kit with a G2 FCG, are some of those parts going to need to be replaced (other than the US parts I need to buy)?

Builder
03-19-2006, 10:37 PM
so if a parts kit comes with fully automatic parts, our receivers (mine is an NDS-3) wont accept the FCG, right?
I ordered a romanian parts kit with a G2 FCG, are some of those parts going to need to be replaced (other than the US parts I need to buy)?
Your kit probably didn't come with the auto sear. A FA AK FCG will fit in the NDS-3 but it can't go FA as there is no hole for the auto sear pin and there is no slot in the right bolt rail.
A FA hammer has a lip at the base like a standard AR hammer that gets held by the auto sear. The bolt carrier has a lip at the back end just below the right upper rail slot that trips the top arm of the auto sear on full forward of the bolt carrier. The FA disconnector has a tail that is contacted by the safety, similar to the AR, that gets held down by the safety, preventing it from catching the hammer, when set to FA. But they all fit. Grind the tail on the disconnector, the lip at base of the hammer, and the lip at the side (rear below the rail slot) of the bolt carrier (not on the very back), and FA can't be implied.
But of course you were going to use the G2 FCG and you are ready to go SA without any worries.
Builder

Ford8N
03-20-2006, 6:12 AM
Your kit probably didn't come with the auto sear. A FA AK FCG will fit in the NDS-3 but it can't go FA as there is no hole for the auto sear pin and there is no slot in the right bolt rail.
A FA hammer has a lip at the base like a standard AR hammer that gets held by the auto sear. The bolt carrier has a lip at the back end just below the right upper rail slot that trips the top arm of the auto sear on full forward of the bolt carrier. The FA disconnector has a tail that is contacted by the safety, similar to the AR, that gets held down by the safety, preventing it from catching the hammer, when set to FA. But they all fit. Grind the tail on the disconnector, the lip at base of the hammer, and the lip at the side (rear below the rail slot) of the bolt carrier (not on the very back), and FA can't be implied.
But of course you were going to use the G2 FCG and you are ready to go SA without any worries.
Builder

Builder's right, just get the G2 for $35-40.