PDA

View Full Version : ATV's and Guns

11Z50
03-18-2006, 10:03 PM
I've purchased a couple ATV's and I'm interested in mixing them with shooting/hunting trips. Anybody have any tips on the locations where this is cool in the Central PRK area?

spaceburger
03-19-2006, 11:15 AM
PRK...I like that. We go up highway 88 past Silverlake. Is that too far away? We just bought a Hondat TRX500. What kind of racks have you thought of using?

11Z50
03-19-2006, 9:45 PM
I'm very new to the ATV thing. I bought a 350 and a 125 Yamaha quad and we are having loads of fun just cruising our property.

I'm looking at decking mine out with gun racks and gear. Ideas?

Walking Fire
03-21-2006, 12:29 AM
check out this site, for riding friends,
http://groups.msn.com/ClubATVWest/_homepage.msnw?pgmarket=en-us
Also a good site to shoot is Bear river reservior.

kick Z tail out
03-21-2006, 6:36 AM
I have two 6 month old quads that I've been riding the PISS out of! :D :cool: I love them!!

I've been wanting to combine quad riding and shooting for a long time, but I wasn't sure of the legalities in CA regarding carrying weapons on a quad...

spaceburger
03-21-2006, 12:20 PM
I imagine the standard hunting rules apply: Never shoot while sitting in or on a vehicle. As far as carrying a gun on it I would again guess that as long as it is unloaded it is cool. The only bad thing about walking away from an ATV while leaving a loaded gun on it is if somebody walking past it decides they like it and the ATV..it's gone without much of an argument.

11Z50
03-21-2006, 6:40 PM
What I want to do is find a place where I can take my quad into, shoot and stay the night, and ride out without any hassles. Is there such a place?

kick Z tail out
03-21-2006, 10:22 PM
What I want to do is find a place where I can take my quad into, shoot and stay the night, and ride out without any hassles. Is there such a place?
Are you close to Hemet, or Riverside? (SoCal)

If so, Bee Canyon is where I ride my quads, and where I shoot too. Even though I've yet to combine the two on the same trip... It's a beautiful ride with tons of trails that climb the 10,000 ft elevation in various directions and altitudes. :cool: You can shoot anywhere on the bottom half of the mountain, and up top are several campgrounds that are on the ATV trails, shrouded in the pine trees.

I'd love to do it, but I have sport quads... And it would be a lot better to do it with utility quads that could carry all my gear, or even fire wood.

mechandy
03-24-2006, 2:23 PM
11Z50,
We do an annual camping trip about 20 miles north of Truckee near the Bocca/Stampede area.
You are more than welcome to come on our next trip
It's a darn nice area.Check it out
I've seen several gun toting quads there.
You know the kinda guns the kid and I pack.
We have always been treated good by the local LEO's there when it comes to guns and haven't been hasseled for riding dirt bikes on public roads.
Andy

spaceburger
03-24-2006, 3:02 PM
My son (14) and I want to go. Every year we do something similar north of Silverlake on Highway 88. We just got a quad and we also have a few trail bikes so please let us know. We live in the East Bay also. Thanks.

mechandy
03-24-2006, 8:18 PM
SB, I'll let you and 11Z50 know when we get the dates set.
It's a family oriented thing (about 4 families)with no set itinarary just kickin back in the shade,tossing shoes,riding bikes,diving,fishing,boating,eating good and of course there will be guns.
2 years ago it landed on the Big Reno Gun Show so there were several trips to that (about a 45 minute trip) and we chose the all you can eat lobster dinner as one of the meals.
Andy

spaceburger
03-25-2006, 8:21 AM
Sounds good mechandy, we can go if schedules work. We do something similar except this place is 4WD accessable only, remote, and loads of fun. I looked at the maps of the area and there are lots of 2WD roads and campsites. Count us in.

Shoot-it
04-09-2006, 11:13 PM
Here is my atv and coyote gun dont they look good together........

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e338/shoot-it/100_0789.jpg

11Z50
04-09-2006, 11:19 PM
Nice.....

I have a Yamaha 350 in camo, of course. I'll try to get a pix posted.

spaceburger
04-10-2006, 8:28 AM
Now we are going to have to trade pics of our ATV's and AR's. I think this is better than trading pictures of our girlfriends!

mechandy
04-13-2006, 6:33 PM
We are going to be camping north of Truckee June 15-18.

spaceburger
04-14-2006, 7:57 AM
That might work very well for us because last day of school is Thursday. Count us in: 1 dad, 1 14 y.o., both AR's and side arm equiped with 1 ATV and 2 trail bikes.

blakpuc
04-17-2006, 3:15 PM
I just got one of these, havent even taken it out yet. Im dying to. anyone want to go to hollister this weekend?
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/products/atv/500/06_WOLVERINE_white_3.jpg

spaceburger
04-17-2006, 10:01 PM
we can't go but enjoy it! We usually go to Carnigie and have never been to Hollister. That thing looks pretty cool! Where does the rifle rack go?

big jon
04-27-2006, 10:45 PM
well i shot it wth a gun,P.S. when going up steep hills with a old school 3wheeler please remove all dead pigs
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g23/jhunter63/20.jpg

Shoot-it
05-25-2006, 8:59 PM
How long can you hold a wheelie ........lol

Python2
05-27-2006, 7:34 AM
11Z50,
We do an annual camping trip about 20 miles north of Truckee near the Bocca/Stampede area.
You are more than welcome to come on our next trip
It's a darn nice area.Check it out
I've seen several gun toting quads there.
You know the kinda guns the kid and I pack.
We have always been treated good by the local LEO's there when it comes to guns and haven't been hasseled for riding dirt bikes on public roads.
Andy

Hey guys! That x7b premium deer zone. I hunted there last season. I would like to join you when I get my ATV. Anyway, after an antelope hunting trip last season, manually dragging, carrying, sliding you know what the carcass for hours over volcanic rocks and you know what, by myself, I decided I am gonna buy me an ATV. Kawasaki approved and sent me a credit card. Now since you guys are on ATV, what is a decent minimum size should I get for hunting?

11Z50
05-27-2006, 7:43 AM
I bought a 350 Yamaha 4x4 (in camo of course) and it pulls me and my gear just fine. I don't think I'd go much smaller than that. My neighbor runs a 250 and is happy with it, but for just a little more purchase price you get alot more towing capability and 4x4 power. If you are going to use it in the back country for hunting, a winch would be cool. It's really handy for dragging that big ol' buck out of a canyon.

Shop and compare, and go for the best deal. That's part of the fun.

spaceburger
06-11-2006, 1:48 PM
We bought a Honda TRX500 and it has lots of room and power. The sales guy told us hunters usually go for 350 to 450's to keep weight down, size down, manuverability way up, yet enogh power to pull weight ect. We went to reliability with a electric/manual shift 5 speed transmission and straight axle rear. 4WD is the only way to go so make sure you buy it that way. Constant torque variable speed drive (Hondamatic) is said to be reliable. Belt drive variable speed is problematic (like a light to tell you your belt is worn) so be selective (some Polaris, Kawaisaki, etc).