PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me a 4-in-1 printer

kdm
05-25-2010, 6:05 PM
In the market for a 4-in-1 printer (print/scan/copy/fax). What can you recommend to me? Criteria: no HP, as I've read bad things and had a bad experience with 'em; $500 max; color; duplex printing.

RawImpact
05-25-2010, 10:06 PM
just want to say stay away from epson

winnre
05-25-2010, 10:16 PM
I got a Kodak. I had Epson but the ink is more than the printer!

ocabj
05-25-2010, 10:29 PM
I've got a Canon MP620 (now about a year old) and it was only $100 at the time. It's surprisingly decent and I've been using it to make prints (up to 8x10 and 8.5x11) and I use the scanning capability for the occasional document to PDF.

It's not a traditional fax, though (no modem). It does have wired ethernet, wifi, and bluetooth.

JDay
05-26-2010, 12:01 AM
With that budget you should get yourself an MFC laser printer. The toner lasts for thousands of pages (6000+ on average) and comes out to much less per page than any liquid ink printer does. Here's a Brother color laser MFC in your price range, its a network printer so you can just connect it into your router via ethernet or wifi, install the drivers on the computers you need to use it with and you're good to go.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16828113459

freonr22
05-26-2010, 12:03 AM
refurb dell meets all your specs. been pleased with mine for 3 years

http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineSales/topics/global.aspx/arb/online/en/InventorySearch?c=us&cs=28&l=en&lob=PRNTR&MODEL_DESC=Dell%20Multifunction%20Laser%20Printer% 201815dn&s=dfb

JDay
05-26-2010, 12:08 AM
refurb dell meets all your specs. been pleased with mine for 3 years

http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineSales/topics/global.aspx/arb/online/en/InventorySearch?c=us&cs=28&l=en&lob=PRNTR&MODEL_DESC=Dell%20Multifunction%20Laser%20Printer% 201815dn&s=dfb

Those aren't color or all-in-one. The one I posted up is all-in-one, color, has wireless and ethernet networking and is brand new with a full factory warranty.

gravedigger
05-26-2010, 12:30 AM
Do a little research. Find the companies that make the CIS (Google "Continuous Ink Systems") and then find a 4-in-1 that you like, that has a CIS available for it. You'll save a ton of money by using a CIS.

2DoorImpala
05-26-2010, 12:39 AM
I have an Epson with the exteral LCD. If I buy ink at a store it's about 40bucks. Went on eBay got a cheap knockoff with even the chip it has on the plastic. Got 2 sets for 19 bucks shipped. Works like the OEM ink. First set it not done yet and it's been 6 months

JDay
05-26-2010, 1:50 AM
Do a little research. Find the companies that make the CIS (Google "Continuous Ink Systems") and then find a 4-in-1 that you like, that has a CIS available for it. You'll save a ton of money by using a CIS.

Still costs more than toner and it will fade out over time since its water based and not pigment based (no good if you need to keep printed documents for any length of time), it also smears if any moisture comes in contact with it. With laser printers you don't have those problems and only need to change your toner once every 6000-8000 or so pages, try getting any inkjet to last that long. Those CIS systems also get messy.

NiteQwill
05-26-2010, 8:07 AM
I know you said no HP (I personally have 2 all-in-ones that are nearly 7 years old, no issues), but I would consider Canon or Kodak. Costco always has good deals on the latter 2.

Corbin Dallas
05-26-2010, 8:55 AM
In the market for a 4-in-1 printer (print/scan/copy/fax). What can you recommend to me? Criteria: no HP, as I've read bad things and had a bad experience with 'em; $500 max; color; duplex printing.

You will probably NOT find a good multifunction color duplexing printer for under $500.

Dell = Lexmark
HP = HP
Canon = HP
Epson = Expensive ink.

For your money, there are a LOT of options IF you can get away from the duplexing feature. There are even MORE options if you can get away from the need for "COLOR".

I used to work for HP in the All in one division here in San Diego. For years I built and tested the prototypes that were on the market up to a couple of years ago. I can tell you from experience HP cost reduces these printers to the point of failure. If you want a GREAT printer that will last some time you need to find one from around 2003-2005/6. The projects I worked on would average 100,000 pages before completely dying. This was the standard for printer testing at HP during my time there.

DO NOT buy the HP printer that takes ANY of the small "02" type cartridges. These printers were the worst thing HP ever invented and the only reason they continued with the project was the amount of cash invested in the development and design. They basically "made" it work.

One of my many projects was the HP 7410. I literally beat the crap out of my 50 test units during development and they all ran for over 80,000 printed pages. I had a few machines reach 120k but they were noisy and very dirty. Until managment got their hands on it and cost reduced the print mech to nothing causing failures galore. If you can get a early one of these, they will work for a LONG time.

Anyways, good luck with your purchase. Just remember the printers made now are only designed to last a few years.