PDA

View Full Version : Do-IT-Yourself Hunting

Abesnake
05-25-2010, 4:52 PM
Finding someone to hunt with is not always easy and paying for canned hunts is out of my league, besides being unethical to me. So, I read as much as I can while trying to develop friendships and going into the field. I came across this book and I was so impressed with the information in it I wanted to share it with you. If some of you can recommend "scholarly" works on hunting, please post them:

Do-It-Yourself Dream Hunts by Mike Schoby

Big Jake
05-25-2010, 5:50 PM
Best way to learn is to just go out and do it! That's how I learned. Experience is the best teacher. With that cannon you have you should do ok!

Super Spy
05-25-2010, 6:06 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. I've only been hunting once and the only shots were around the campfire at night :( Hopefully the next time will be better.

thevic
05-25-2010, 6:18 PM
yeah i know what you mean. it will take a couple trips untill you figure out the game and catch one!

Abesnake
05-25-2010, 9:35 PM
Best way to learn is to just go out and do it! That's how I learned. Experience is the best teacher. With that cannon you have you should do ok!

Thanks Jake, and your right, I'm going out this Memorial Day weekend for three days and we'll see how I do. If there is anything to report you'll see it. HOWEVER, I just think in addition to experiencing going out, I can learn a lot from reading while I'm at home by the fire...with a pipe...and my dog...and a beer. LOL :D

Crazyhorse
05-26-2010, 7:35 AM
Here is my basics:

Know the hunting spot - Go out a few times in off season and get a good lay of the land. Know the game trails and why they use them. Bedding area, food, water, pass through, whatever. Might give you an idea when they would use the trail. I sometimes scope out an area a month before the hunt. Get there when I would if hunting and find a spot to sit for a few hours and just watch to see what's moving.

Don't worry about camo - Find a spot that hides you and use it. Thick bushes, big tree, junk car, barn, anything that can keep you from being silhouetted. Then grab some small bushes, or whatever is all over the place and use them to cover you a bit more. Don't worry about camo gear till you want to get into those spots where 25-50 yard shots will be more common.

Know the wind - Figure out what way is down wind and pick a spot based on this. Try to come into your hunting spot from down wind as well. Keep your sent off the trail. Don't worry about spending a ton of money on scents.

Wait - It sucks to leave a spot at 9am to come back at 4pm and find a ton of animals were moving around via tracks. Just wait. Get there way too early and leave once it's illegal to shoot. It's not uncommon for me to hit my spot at ~5:30am and leave at 7pm. Pack a few bottles of water and a bag of nuts and raisins.

Find a friend - If you can find someone that has hunted the area go with them. Best way to do this is tell them you would like to see how it's done. Let them know you are willing to tag along and not carry a rifle. Offer to help gut, pack, and butcher any kills and even bring beer and your own knife to the game processing. Few hunters will refuse the offer.

CH

Big Jake
05-26-2010, 7:43 AM
Here is my basics:

Know the hunting spot - Go out a few times in off season and get a good lay of the land. Know the game trails and why they use them. Bedding area, food, water, pass through, whatever. Might give you an idea when they would use the trail. I sometimes scope out an area a month before the hunt. Get there when I would if hunting and find a spot to sit for a few hours and just watch to see what's moving.

Don't worry about camo - Find a spot that hides you and use it. Thick bushes, big tree, junk car, barn, anything that can keep you from being silhouetted. Then grab some small bushes, or whatever is all over the place and use them to cover you a bit more. Don't worry about camo gear till you want to get into those spots where 25-50 yard shots will be more common.

Know the wind - Figure out what way is down wind and pick a spot based on this. Try to come into your hunting spot from down wind as well. Keep your sent off the trail. Don't worry about spending a ton of money on scents.

Wait - It sucks to leave a spot at 9am to come back at 4pm and find a ton of animals were moving around via tracks. Just wait. Get there way too early and leave once it's illegal to shoot. It's not uncommon for me to hit my spot at ~5:30am and leave at 7pm. Pack a few bottles of water and a bag of nuts and raisins.

Find a friend - If you can find someone that has hunted the area go with them. Best way to do this is tell them you would like to see how it's done. Let them know you are willing to tag along and not carry a rifle. Offer to help gut, pack, and butcher any kills and even bring beer and your own knife to the game processing. Few hunters will refuse the offer.

CH

All good advice. I like to hit up my first stand just before day break especially if I am yote hunting. Watch out for snakes as they are out now!

msand951
05-26-2010, 8:27 AM
Good advice, And great thread. Im also a wanting to go out and hunt and learn. Ive been shooting since i was 6yrs. old. I want to try coyote/predator hunting. Why yotes cause its year round. I have some calls attended some seminars at bass pro. I just need to find a legal place to hunt near me to start.

professionalcoyotehunter
05-26-2010, 8:31 AM
Well lets head out saturday. I was going to invite Abesnake but since he is busy I am open. I might just tag along with Jake also.

Rusty_Buckhorn
05-26-2010, 8:49 AM
There is a lot of public land in CA. Find out which National Forest is closest to you, and get a map. Google Earth is a great tool, too, to get look at the terrain. Get as far off the roads as you can. The deepest darkest, hardest to get to spots, always seem to hold the most game. You won't get anything from the couch, so get out and burn some boot leather. Use this time of the year to do some scouting(if you're deer/bear hunting). I try to plan fishing trips into the backcountry in the areas I want to take a look at. Everything is green, and the bucks are fuzzy horned. Great time to get out and have a look around, and test any new hunting gear. Take lots of pics. Take notes on when and where you see game moving.

I can't help much with books. I have a few Eastman books, but can't remember the names. They're pretty good, since they only hunt public land.