PDA

View Full Version : buying guns in california

spaceCADETzoom
03-18-2006, 3:53 PM
I had a legal question.

Is it legal to purchase guns in California if I am a Nevada resident (i.e. I have a NV drivers licence)? I know it's a no-go the other way around :) but seeing as CA laws are a lot more strict than NV...

Provided it's legal, would most shops be OK with a Nevadan buying there?

ohsmily
03-18-2006, 4:09 PM
no, not unless you are in the military and stationed here (in which case you are considered as residing here).

spaceCADETzoom
03-18-2006, 4:16 PM
I'm military. But not on Active Duty. I'm currently a drilling reservist with a unit here in CA. And I'm also here finishing up my MA. I'm a current CA resident.

So, now what are my options? Still out of luck?

ohsmily
03-18-2006, 4:25 PM
I'm military. But not on Active Duty. I'm currently a drilling reservist with a unit here in CA. And I'm also here finishing up my MA. I'm a current CA resident.

So, now what are my options? Still out of luck?

Are you an official CA resident or do you just live here (simply living here doesn't automatically make you a resident).

If you have orders showing that you are stationed here in CA, that can suffice as proof of residence along with a military ID to purchase handguns.

spaceCADETzoom
03-18-2006, 4:28 PM
I can pull up my orders for my reserve unit. I can even pull up utility bills, etc, regarding my residency (or even my transcripts and school records indicating I'm showing up to classes held at a local university). Is it just a residency thing that's a hangup? Truth be told, I'm currently living a lot like a Calfornian...I just have a NV drivers licensse...

glen avon
03-18-2006, 4:31 PM
long guns yes

xenophobe
03-18-2006, 5:10 PM
Military ID + Permanent Duty Station Orders + Utility bill if you're buying a handgun.

spaceCADETzoom
03-18-2006, 7:39 PM
Yeah, I'm only looking at long guns. My question only stems from the fact everyso often I see something I'd like to get at Big 5 or Turners. I have a Marlin lever action that's caught my eye. I'm wondering if that's possible.

Again, I'm not Active Duty. I'm only going to school here. I'm a reservist drilling with a local unit.

Thanks all, for all the info above.

grammaton76
03-18-2006, 8:44 PM
Yeah, I'm only looking at long guns. My question only stems from the fact everyso often I see something I'd like to get at Big 5 or Turners. I have a Marlin lever action that's caught my eye. I'm wondering if that's possible.

Well, if it were a C&R thing, I'd advise you to get your C&R license, at which point it would no longer matter what state you're in for C&R rifles...

xenophobe
03-18-2006, 8:47 PM
Or just get a California ID card...

spaceCADETzoom
03-18-2006, 11:03 PM
Or just get a California ID card...
Rather not. I'm leaving in a matter of months, when I transition into Active Duty. And my parents' home is still NV. And I don't think I have to tell anyone on this calguns rifle board about the differences between NV gunshops (or any otehr state for that matter) and CA gun shops. :) I love CA...my parents are natives and I was even born here...nothing matches CA, its just that it treats gun owners pretty bad--if it weren't for that, it'd be the closest to paradice, imho.

nudavinci
03-19-2006, 11:53 AM
easy enough to get a CA ID then go back to NV and use yoru NV ID or get a new One.. It would just make buying a gun in California alot easier. Since the DOJ tends to go on the exact information on file for your ID.. Im not sure how the military stuff works..