PDA

View Full Version : Tactical flashlights?

Gary O
03-18-2006, 8:52 AM
Does anyone make a decent tactical-type hand-held flashlight for under $50? I would love a SureFire but can’t afford one. Thanks… Gary O <><

Forever-A-Soldier
03-18-2006, 12:22 PM
Not sure why this is in the Shotgun discussions, but if you are just looking for a hand held flashlights, a Surefire G2 can be had for $30. They are tough flashlights. I used several in Iraq (carried one and mounted the other on my M4), no problems what so ever even from the recoil of my rifle. I don't see any need to buy their more expensive models.

F.A.S. Out

blkA4alb
03-18-2006, 12:43 PM
you can also go with the classic maglight.

one417
03-18-2006, 1:26 PM
you can also go with the classic maglight.

Compared to the light quality that the maglite puts out, I'd definitely go with the SF G2 (IMHO)...

maxicon
03-18-2006, 5:52 PM
Another good one in the same price range with similar performance is the Streamlight Scorpion. It's hard to go wrong with either, and my little Maglights collect dust since I upgraded.

I have a couple of Scorpions and a couple of Surefire G2s, and here's how they compare for me. These are personal preference items, so YMMV, as always.

I like the Scorpion tailcap switch better than the G2 for a one-handed hold. Light pressure turns it on momentarily, more pressure clicks it on or back off. The G2 works the same for momentary, but to turn it on solid or back off, you have to twist the cap, which takes a different motion with your thumb and finger, and I'm a bit prone to fumbling it. Practice makes perfect, of course, but for simple, one-handed use, the Scorpion rules.

I also like feel of the Scorpion rubber covering better than the G2's hard plastic.

The Scorpion's better sealed, with fewer parts that can come loose and fewer places to leak. On the G2, both the lamp assy and tailcap unscrew, while on the Scorpion, only the lamp assy. unscrews, and the tailswitch assy is covered by the rubber skin.

When you set it down, the G2 is more roll-proof, as it's got little bumps around the lamp bezel that will keep it from rolling some. They're not real big, so it'll still roll, but they help. The Scorpion is round, and rolls easily (Update: The new ones have flats around the bezel, which I believe I'd like better than the G2 bumps, but I haven't tried one yet).

The G2 tailcap switch is replaceable, and can be changed to a ribbon switch assy for a gun mount if you want. The Scorpion's switch is under the rubber coating and doesn't come off. This makes the G2 more versatile, but it makes some sense to get a dedicated gun light if you need one.

The G2 lamp assy is a lot more expensive to replace than the Scorpion ($15 vs $5), and the Scorpion comes with a spare lamp in the tailcap. The Scorpion's lamp is a simple bulb that looks like a Maglight lamp, while the G2 lamp is a spring-loaded assembly. This springloading makes it more reliable as a weapon-mounted light, but the Scorpion's not really designed for both uses since you can't change the control switch.

The G2 standard P60 lamp assy can also be replaced with a more expensive P61 assembly which gives you 120 lumens instead of 65 lumens, but drops battery life down to 20 minutes :eek: !

The Scorpion focus can be adjusted, and the G2 is fixed-focus, but with a very nice beam throw, due to the fixed reflector assy.

That's it in a largish nutshell. I like them both and use them both.

max

MadMex
03-18-2006, 6:11 PM
While I carry an E2, I have 8 G2’s around the house, in the emergency kit, and in the vehicles. It’s actually my go-to nightstand light as well. Durable and reasonably priced

Jon
03-18-2006, 6:20 PM
I've had a Streamlight Scorpion and wasn't too impressed with the rubber coating around the body. This was a few years ago, so they may have updated/improved this aspect.

As far as SureFire, I'd suggest the G2 or save a few pennies and get a 6P.

TonyM
03-18-2006, 7:37 PM
I love the SureFires, well worth the money in my opinion, low cost units, or the more expensive ones. My MagLite's are no longer in service.

Everyone Needs an M4-CB on the nightstand. 350 lumens Blinds people fast! :) ;)

http://www.picturesbytony.com/Surefire.jpg

gimmejr
03-18-2006, 7:41 PM
The Fenix line might not be what some would call tactical but they put alot of light out for there size and most models are under $50

blkA4alb
03-18-2006, 8:35 PM
Compared to the light quality that the maglite puts out, I'd definitely go with the SF G2 (IMHO)...
i know the surefire is a much better flashlight, but he did say on the cheap though and surefires are known for their high cost. in most situations the maglight would do fine, but id take a surefire over it anyday

rips31
03-18-2006, 10:31 PM
i kinda like the inova lights. they have tactical and non-tactical models.

http://www.inovalight.com/

Jon
03-18-2006, 11:38 PM
I guess the next question is what do you intend to use the torch for? :)

This may help guide some suggestions.

Inova's are nice too, but can be somewhat costly. I have two. :D

gimmejr
03-19-2006, 7:17 AM
Im sure some of you guys already know of them but those who dont and live in the SF bay area check out tadgear.com They carry several different brands of flashlights and freindly guys there too. They carry other stuff to that will put a strain on your wallet.

E__WOK
03-19-2006, 8:17 PM
I love the SureFires, well worth the money in my opinion, low cost units, or the more expensive ones. My MagLite's are no longer in service.

Everyone Needs an M4-CB on the nightstand. 350 lumens Blinds people fast! :) ;)

http://www.picturesbytony.com/Surefire.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/e__wok/image/38894594

350 lumens is fine but I prefer 2000.

wuhungsix
04-10-2006, 2:10 AM
I have a G2 and love it, but if you go to Wally World look for the Brinkmann lights that use the 123A batteries. Same baterries as Sure Fire. Just as bright with a better tailcap switch. $19.99. They don't always have it in stock just swing by the flashlight section when your picking up ammo.

rookie
04-11-2006, 7:25 PM
This whole conversation got me looking for a good flashlight as well.

I just bought a twin pack of the Cyclops 80lumen flashlights from ebay for $23. I figure for that price (12/ea) that its probably a decent deal.

--
John

maxicon
04-12-2006, 11:50 AM
I'm not familiar with Cyclops, but I've bought my share of cheap xenon flashlights, and the weak point is usually the switch.

Now, a friend had a Streamlight switch fail on him recently, but they have a lifetime warranty, so it shouldn't be a big deal. We'll see.

I'd definitely run them through their paces to see how they hold up. Be sure to report back once you've got them!

max

24thMED
04-12-2006, 2:11 PM
Surefire G2 is great. If you want aluminum, the 6P is also in the $50 price range.

PistolKidd
04-12-2006, 2:58 PM
Does anyone make a decent tactical-type hand-held flashlight for under $50? I would love a SureFire but can’t afford one. Thanks… Gary O <><

Gary-

What do you plan on using this with?? Are you looking to just use this as a "durable" type flashlight or are you wanting to use this wiht a pistol ala Surefire/rogers technique?

For a little more than 70 bucks, you can get a G2Z. Let me know if you're serious as I have a good angle on getting Surefire lights...

Persaonlly, I'd save my pennies. Surefire's are expensive, but usually, people who get them are extremely happy when they actually have one in their hands to compare against other lights.

Personally, I own a couple of Fenix's, an ARC4 and a U2 and once you see the difference in quality, you wont settle for less.

visualnewbie
04-12-2006, 6:04 PM
I have a G2 and love it, but if you go to Wally World look for the Brinkmann lights that use the 123A batteries. Same baterries as Sure Fire. Just as bright with a better tailcap switch. $19.99. They don't always have it in stock just swing by the flashlight section when your picking up ammo.

I agree. I myself prefer Surefire, but the Brinkmannis a fine light for the price. You can get it a for a couple bucks cheaper at Target and it comes with a cheap holster.

Sberk1
04-12-2006, 7:54 PM
Get a SurefireG2. They are only 36 retail! The best for well under your price target.

stator
04-22-2006, 3:59 PM
Pelican M6, $39.95 at Fry's. It's 74 lumens w/ Xenon bulb and uses two CR123A lithium batteries. Very comparable to my partner's Surefire for a fraction of the cost. Get the lithium batteries off the internet... Fry's sells no-name CR123A for $2.70 each. A twin pack of Duracell CR123A at Safeway goes for around $12. $1 each on the internet for no-name CR123A is common.

I would recommend not going for anything over 75 lumens as those eat batteries by the minutes. If you want LED, look for Luxeon LEDs as these are the best.