PDA

View Full Version : Deleting all data in Pentium 4 box

trg-s338
05-24-2010, 7:02 PM
I would like to delete all the data on an older Pentium 4 computer except the WinXP operating system. Bought the computer refurbished long ago with the OS already installed and I have no WinXP disk. I'd like to start over on this computer like nothing has ever been loaded on it but the OS. Any advise on how best to do this cleanly? Thanks.

bigmike82
05-24-2010, 7:11 PM
Not possible if you don't have an XP disc or a recovery partition on your machine.

Cokebottle
05-24-2010, 7:37 PM
Not possible if you don't have an XP disc or a recovery partition on your machine.
+1

Suck it up and buy XP, buy a new hard drive, remove the old hard drive, open the case, place it inside of a degaussing coil (any TV repair shop will have one that they haven't used since the CRT went the way of the do-do), the bury it in mud and hit it with a rock for good measure.

That'll remove the data beyond the abilities of pretty much anyone's desire unless the cops think you have something that they can use against you.

bigmike82
05-24-2010, 7:53 PM
What cokebottle said.

Alternatively, if you want to sell or give it away, do the following:

http://www.simplehelp.net/2007/09/11/how-to-completely-wipe-all-of-the-data-from-your-hard-drive/

Then download and install Ubuntu.

Then sell it.

fdbizzle
05-24-2010, 8:02 PM
Or, you can also take the out and use it for target practice!

Rob454
05-24-2010, 9:37 PM
Never seen a hard drive that withstands a 5 lb sledge.

JDay
05-24-2010, 11:43 PM
+1

Suck it up and buy XP, buy a new hard drive, remove the old hard drive, open the case, place it inside of a degaussing coil (any TV repair shop will have one that they haven't used since the CRT went the way of the do-do), the bury it in mud and hit it with a rock for good measure.

That'll remove the data beyond the abilities of pretty much anyone's desire unless the cops think you have something that they can use against you.

You can just do a 10 pass secure wipe of the drive using any of the many livecds out there that have one. Or you could just use a sledgehammer and thermite.

OcT_AvCRgT8

doubledgarage
05-25-2010, 11:56 AM
http://www.dban.org/

This boot CD is great when ****-hits-the-fan and you need to wipe your hard drive ASAP.