PDA

View Full Version : How do I delete an un-deletable/computer freezing file?

nrakid88
05-24-2010, 1:45 AM
I have a problem with my computer. I have singled it down to one file. Every time I do a virus scan it freezes on the same file. I try deleting that file, and the window I deleted it in freezes up, and it just wont be deleted. The file is a song, which ironically is named corruption. How do I get rid of this file? I haven't been able to do a virus scan in six months and my computer is starting to get sluggish.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

armygunsmith
05-24-2010, 1:57 AM
Boot into safe mode then try deleting the file.

juicemansam
05-24-2010, 3:44 AM
Boot into safe mode then try deleting the file.

If that doesn't work, which sometimes doesn't because safe mode still locks the file, boot up with an install CD and go to rescue console. You'll be able to delete the file from there. You could also use an ntfs-enable linux rescue disc or a windows-based one (like ultimate windows boot cd).

Set4Success
05-24-2010, 3:50 AM
The reason I save everything to a separate hdd.

If I have to, I can just reformat my whole comp and not worry about losing any data. I haven't had to do it, but it's JIC.

Get another hdd to install or get an external to save your data on. Then you wouldn't be worrying about wiping an "un-deletable" file. Just wipe the whole stupid OS

TWoods450
05-24-2010, 7:04 AM
give this program a whirl, even if the file isn't locked it might help. http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

also if you have another computer on hand, you could try pulling the drive and putting it in an enclosure, plug into the second system, and deleting the file that way.

SmokinMr2
05-24-2010, 7:48 AM
give this program a whirl, even if the file isn't locked it might help. http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

also if you have another computer on hand, you could try pulling the drive and putting it in an enclosure, plug into the second system, and deleting the file that way.

^^^^^
+1

Turbinator
05-25-2010, 8:19 AM
If nothing else in this thread works, there is a program I found once called "move on boot" or "delete on boot". It will delete a file before your PC's OS gets a chance to put a lock on the file, as you boot up. It has helped me get rid of viruses in the past. Try this if nothng else works.

Turby

choprzrul
05-25-2010, 8:34 AM
take the hard drive out, connect it via USB adaptor ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812156017&cm_re=usb_ata_adapter-_-12-156-017-_-Product ) to another computer. Browse the file structure to the file in question and delete it. In some instances, you may have to change ownership of the file before deletion.

glockman19
05-25-2010, 8:55 AM
I prefer getting into the c-mos and deleting it in longhand

Del/c:/file name

If you can't delete it then just change the file extension. then reload the file from your boot or program disk with the proper file extension.

Bug Splat
05-25-2010, 9:12 AM
On some occasions I have found that if you drop the file into a new folder and delete the folder it will also delete the file too. Might want to give that a try.

Other than that I try safe mode and if that does not work I boot into a recovery console and del it there. If THAT does not work I slave the drive to another computer and del it there.

doubledgarage
05-25-2010, 11:51 AM
What is the exact filename? If it has an illegal name (let's say slash, colon, or some bizarre characters), Windows will barf when you try to delete it. You can try to use regular expressions to delete it (i.e. del *corruption*.mp3).