PDA

View Full Version : Are fixed mag off list AR10's? legal?

spaceburger
03-16-2006, 6:16 PM
I totally understand the current off list catagory II thing going on right now (bought 2 myself) but I am curious:

1. Is there such a thing as an AR10 that is not specifically named on the DOJ lists?

2. If there is an "off list Cat-1 AR10" would a 10 round fixed mag then also make it legal even if it is CATEGORY 1?

bwiese
03-16-2006, 6:23 PM
1. Is there such a thing as an AR10 that is not specifically named on the DOJ lists?

I believe there is a 308 Vulcan some folks are selling. I have no idea whose upper it works with (Armalite?) All other AR10s won't work.

The Bushmaster BAR10 has been discontinued, though Bushmaster BAR10 is not a banned combination of make and model.

2. If there is an "off list Cat-1 AR10" would a 10 round fixed mag then also make it legal even if it is CATEGORY 1?

You are confusing Cat1 and Cat2 terms along with "off-list". If guns are off-list they are not Cat 1 or Cat 2.

Cat1 guns are the original 50 or so Roberti-Roos guns (Calif Code of Regulation sec 979.10). Cat 2 guns are the ARs and AKs added by specific make and model to CCR sec 979.11 to flesh out the AR and AK 'series'.

If you have a Cat 1 gun (meaning it's listed) a fixed mag won't change anything. It's an assault weapon by name and must've been registered a long time ago - if not, you're in trouble.

'Off-list' just means not listed. The DOJ can add off-list AR/AK series members directly - at which point they become Cat II.

But things like Imbel FAL receivers are also off-list receivers; the DOJ could do a 12276.5 add-on petition in certain superior courts and ban it, or get the FAL declared as a 'series' and then add individual FAL clones at their whim.

C.G.
03-16-2006, 7:05 PM
You might want to check this thread
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=29403

and the other ones regarding Hesse Har-25.