PDA

View Full Version : NEED A Good Pheasant Clubs in Norcal

lewdogg21
05-21-2010, 5:35 PM
I'll just say that the primo habitat club my Dad was in for years and I was going to join this year is no more. I'm really disappointed b/c I wanted it for my 2 lab pups more than anything.

What are the best clubs in Norcal? When I say best I mean great cover, well run, lots of birds, not a zillion guys, etc.

Thanks!

lewdogg21
06-28-2010, 5:45 PM
ttt. I would buy a 40 bird card. Cmon, I know somebody is in a good one. I've got 2 labs, one of which went out 4x last year and crushed. I have an e-collar so my dog doesn't chase up the whole club. Shoot me apm!

Fishseeker
06-28-2010, 6:44 PM
possibly comanche

Thefeeder
06-28-2010, 11:11 PM
Well Lew.. I'll ask at the range for ya as I know some guys who do shoot club birds.

The only one I know of is Birds Landing. But have never shot it.

I'll get back to ya after the weekend.

center_x
06-29-2010, 2:48 PM
My father is a memebr of Hastings Island Hunting Preserve in Dixon, CA. He has hunted his golden lab there for 3 years, and has been a member of Hastings for atleat 30 years. Great Club with a Great Club house.

You can get a 20, 40, 60 bird card or whatever amount you need. Im not sure the cost per bird.

Ive also hunted Garcia's Hunting Preserve in Lincoln, CA. Its mostly rice cover.

PM me if you want further info.

Bearclaw
06-29-2010, 5:33 PM
There's also Quail Point Hunting Club which is fairly close to you. I haven't tried it out myself yet, but a buddy of mine went out a few months ago and said that it was pretty good. I know they also have a website....www.quailpoint.com if you wanna check it out.

lewdogg21
06-29-2010, 6:21 PM
Thanks for the info. A main criteria would be good cover. I've hunted strips of rice ditches which were clubs before and all your dog learns is if you cover the 5' wide strip of cover the birds will flush at the end. My father was in one in south of Oroville but the owners of the property decided they wanted it for themselves so I can't join that one. The cover was incredible with natural sloughs and thick crap.

ignorant_k9
06-29-2010, 6:32 PM
My father was in one in south of Oroville but the owners of the property decided they wanted it for themselves so I can't join that one.

They told me that they just didnt like you :D

:eek:

JK,

my buddy at work said something about a club he found. I will ask him tomorrow

center_x
06-29-2010, 7:15 PM
Thanks for the info. A main criteria would be good cover. I've hunted strips of rice ditches which were clubs before and all your dog learns is if you cover the 5' wide strip of cover the birds will flush at the end. My father was in one in south of Oroville but the owners of the property decided they wanted it for themselves so I can't join that one. The cover was incredible with natural sloughs and thick crap.

With the above stated, check out Hastings Island.

tpuig
06-29-2010, 10:37 PM
I hunted Hastings last year and it was pretty low cover at the time. But a great place. Highly recommended.

I split a 20 bird card with a buddy at the Suisun Marsh club next to the Bud brewery in Fairfield. Nice folks, and the fields really vary. I shot everything from pretty low cover to nearly impenetrable jungle. I'll be getting another card this year, and hopefully another dog to help out my German Shepherd...

lewdogg21
06-30-2010, 10:04 AM
The club out by zamora is intriguing b/c my duck club is out there somewhere too which means combo days.

taperxz
06-30-2010, 1:43 PM
Quail Point is a good place!! There are some rolling hills so when you are on your field you really don't see anyone else. You also don't get sprayed by someone shooting your way!

lewdogg21
06-30-2010, 2:14 PM
Is the cover just short (12") grass? Is there any thick cover and if so how many different areas? I have labs so they won't point something in short grass but rather chase and flush.

taperxz
06-30-2010, 10:30 PM
In some of the fields there is a mixture. It really depends on which field you get. A couple even have ponds on them. You can go try it out rome around after everyone has left and check out the different fields. You can then book a field you like in advance.

zerohour714
07-03-2010, 8:32 AM
We used to hunt the Suisun Marsh Pheasant club its out in Fairfield. There are a bunch of hunters but they give you your own field from the time the club opens until 12 o'clock or so. Then you have free range to hunt any field you like so long as nobody else is hunting it. Its a fun little spot, tons of jack rabbits too with the occasionally ducks flying over from the neighboring duck club. After your hunt, you can go to the Anheuser Busch brewery (right next to the club entrance) and sample all their beers for free!!!

http://www.gamebirdhunts.com/Listing/tabid/488/Id/1080/Suisun-Marsh-Hunting-Preserve.aspx

tpuig
07-03-2010, 4:56 PM
They have an 8am hunt and clear the fields by 11:30, then you can go out again for an afternoon shoot. I've been in about half the fields there, and most are pretty challenging. If nobody is in a field after a certain time, it's fair game.
Nice folks, affordable, and only 5 minutes from the freeway.

We used to hunt the Suisun Marsh Pheasant club its out in Fairfield. There are a bunch of hunters but they give you your own field from the time the club opens until 12 o'clock or so. Then you have free range to hunt any field you like so long as nobody else is hunting it. Its a fun little spot, tons of jack rabbits too with the occasionally ducks flying over from the neighboring duck club. After your hunt, you can go to the Anheuser Busch brewery (right next to the club entrance) and sample all their beers for free!!!

http://www.gamebirdhunts.com/Listing/tabid/488/Id/1080/Suisun-Marsh-Hunting-Preserve.aspx

jtv3062
07-04-2010, 11:37 AM
If you go out to the club on Chadbourne rd in Suisun marsh, please don't shot towards the red barn. I got pelted by one of the bird hunters before. I work the land that does not belong to Skip Chadbourne.

tpuig
07-04-2010, 12:06 PM
I know that field. We're always extra careful and start out with the barn to our backs and work away from it. We even joked that it would be tough to be near the barn during the hunts. Luckily I've only seen good hunters. Hope that never happens again.

BTW, my dog loves the water there.

pieeater
07-04-2010, 12:15 PM
If you go out to the club on Chadbourne rd in Suisun marsh, please don't shot towards the red barn. I got pelted by one of the bird hunters before. I work the land that does not belong to Skip Chadbourne.

The red barn thats kind of across the street from the clubhouse?

jtv3062
07-04-2010, 3:40 PM
yes it's north of the the entrance to the club by about 100 feet. Every season the pheasants are everywhere they sometimes even get hit by cars if they're roaming on the gravel road.

A few months ago I got swept with a shot by a guy tracking a pheasant with his shotgun as the pheasant was flying across the road. He even put his arms up as if I was at fault for being on the raod. I was in my truck heading north on Chadbourne rd and he was in the field that's near our water tank.

Last year 2 dogs got into a fight and the owners were trying to seperate them. One guy accendently shot the other in the groin and had to be flown out in a heliocopter.

tpuig
07-04-2010, 5:00 PM
What an idiot. Hope he got kicked out. There's a bunch of old cards stapled on the wall with the reasons for the holder getting the boot. Entertaining and scary reading.

I have to admit though, it's pretty funny seeing the pheasants walking around the barn. I just shake my head laughing and tell them I'll see them next week... ;-)