PDA

View Full Version : Females and Reloading

Cowboy T
05-21-2010, 5:26 PM
Folks,

I've been planning to do a video on how to get started reloading your own ammo on the cheap. This has especial importance given AB 962 and what happens February 2011.

Problem: a guy I know is trying to get his wife to consider reloading. She won't do it, because "nah, I could never get all the steps down. That's guys' stuff."

Someone suggested I have my g/f do the actual reloading, so that more females can see that yes, girls can do it too. A month ago, she loaded her first box of 50. This is a powder-puff .38 Special load I developed last year specifically with her in mind (turns out I like it a lot, too--great practice round for snubbies). We will be going to the range tomorrow to try that box out.

So, the question is, if I can get her to do it, would a video featuring her doing the reloading be helpful to get more females convinced that they can do it, too? February 2011 is not that far away....

- Cowboy T

shellyzsweet
05-21-2010, 5:42 PM
Yes.

Sajedene
05-21-2010, 10:24 PM
Absolutely! I know I'd be more interested !

2Cute2Shoot
05-21-2010, 11:15 PM
Ugh. We have a TON of reloading equipment in our garage, but I have never wanted to do it. I remember my dad used to be making his loads while me and my brother played in the garage, but when I got older, I hated the smell in there. 1st, I don't think girls should really be handling lead...especially if we are in our childbearing years. And I don't think any girl thinks we 'can't' do it, but it's just boring.

I guess right now I don't know what I'll do when I come to that point when I run out of the reloads my dad made, but I would really rather just buy bullets than have to look at his Hornady (or whatever they're called :D) books and tune his scales.

So no, duh, I wouldn't get suddenly interested just because there is some video of a girl doing it. I think most girls like to do things that are creative when it comes to our hands. Reloading just doesn't do it for me :(

novabrian
05-22-2010, 12:31 AM
I think most girls like to do things that are creative when it comes to our hands. Reloading just doesn't do it for me :([/QUOTE]

Yes but it takes patience,order,control and attention to detail which women tend to be better at.

five.five-six
05-22-2010, 12:45 AM
Ugh. We have a TON of reloading equipment in our garage, but I have never wanted to do it.

LOL, my 5 year old asks me all the time: can we make boolits daddy

and my wife is like !are you too making boolits again :mad:

funny she has no interest and the boy just loves it

(disclaimer, all he does is re-size brass, i would let him help with charging if he's just put the dang cigarette out)

artherd
05-22-2010, 1:40 AM
(disclaimer, all he does is re-size brass, i would let him help with charging if he's just put the dang cigarette out)

LOLz

Steyrlp10
05-22-2010, 6:13 AM
When I had Dillons set up for the .45s and the .32s, I kinda sorta looked at them like blue KitchenAid accessories. In my former life, my ex did the bulk of the reloading since I was burning up ammo faster than it could come in cases. (Shooting six days a week with multiple matches gets wild.)

As a girl, I admit that it's more fun shooting things to Kingdom Come, but I can manage multi-tasking with primers and powder. The only thing is I worry about is being consistent with the measurements.

My friends who have seen me cook in real life will suggest I stay away from things that ignite. I've been known to have a flaming fireball for Thanksgiving dinner :)

Nessal
05-22-2010, 6:30 PM
I tried to get my girl into reloading....so that she can do all the case prep work for me. LOL is that wrong?

But to be honest, I don't trust any reloads that I did not see made infront of me from start to finish. I'm really anal when it comes to reloading.

CSACANNONEER
05-22-2010, 6:36 PM
I know a couple people who have their wives load their match 50BMG ammo for them. One is actually a 07FFL and a top shooter. Go figure?

shellyzsweet
05-22-2010, 6:44 PM
my dad gave me his dillon reloader and I had it all set up at my ex's, he used it more than me, but I enjoyed reloading rounds....if I had a place to set it up, I would.

8bitnintendo
05-23-2010, 12:51 AM
I don't think girls should really be handling lead...especially if we are in our childbearing years and want to have children.
Fixed that for you :)

I took a reloading class several months back, and just finished sorting a pile of brass I've been building up from the last several range trips. Does anybody have a press they recommend? I'm going to be reloading mostly pistol (.40S&W, 9mm, 45ACP, etc.)

CSACANNONEER
05-23-2010, 7:44 AM

I took a reloading class several months back, and just finished sorting a pile of brass I've been building up from the last several range trips. Does anybody have a press they recommend? I'm going to be reloading mostly pistol (.40S&W, 9mm, 45ACP, etc.)

If you are going to load mainly pistol rounds, the choice is clear. Get a Dillon 550 or 650. Most here, who have both, are partial to the 650. I prefer the 550 for much of my reloading. The 550 is capable of reloading more calibers, cheaper, cheaper to get caliber conversions for, simpler to set up and use, etc. The 650 offers an extra station and automatic indexing. You can get automatic case feeders for both of them now. Come on and drink the BLUE coolaid. You'll never look back once you do.

Steyrlp10
05-23-2010, 1:11 PM
If you are going to load mainly pistol rounds, the choice is clear. Get a Dillon 550 or 650. Most here, who have both, are partial to the 650. I prefer the 550 for much of my reloading. The 550 is capable of reloading more calibers, cheaper, cheaper to get caliber conversions for, simpler to set up and use, etc. The 650 offers an extra station and automatic indexing. You can get automatic case feeders for both of them now. Come on and drink the BLUE coolaid. You'll never look back once you do.

Yeah, what CSA said :)

I've had other name brand reloaders in the house, but the Blue Machine is by far the easiest for me to understand.

Unfortunately, I still haven't gotten the hang of ironing clothes - lol

Sajedene
05-23-2010, 2:25 PM

Me neither. I don't even remember the last time I used one of those things and when I do, I just go at it until I think it looks good enough to wear. lol

CSACANNONEER
05-23-2010, 5:32 PM
Yeah, what CSA said :)

I've had other name brand reloaders in the house, but the Blue Machine is by far the easiest for me to understand.

Ironing clothing? Oh, you mean making clothing out of iron like a suit of armor right? It does take a lot of skill and knowledge. You can start with making chainmail. It's sort of like knitting but takes a lot longer and you do it with pliers.

Steyrlp10
05-23-2010, 9:13 PM
Me neither. I don't even remember the last time I used one of those things and when I do, I just go at it until I think it looks good enough to wear. lol

Lol... my solution? Permanent press :)

Steyrlp10
05-23-2010, 9:15 PM
Ironing clothing? Oh, you mean making clothing out of iron like a suit of armor right? It does take a lot of skill and knowledge. You can start with making chainmail. It's sort of like knitting but takes a lot longer and you do it with pliers.

I hope to meet you at the next Calguns party. I have to see for myself all the things Bplvr has been telling me about you (hee-hee)

As for the chainmail -- I've been studying all the episodes of Deadliest Warrior for tips. There are times where the betting is more fun than it is with cage fighting ;)

hill billy
05-24-2010, 7:32 AM
I spend so much time reloading since I do it as a business that my wife brought a rocking chair into the garage, Then she started helping, now I let her do stuff for me but never for customers. She was intimidated in the beginning but after helping she realized she knew what to do and got going.

Lancear15
05-24-2010, 7:38 AM
Yes but it takes patience,order,control and attention to detail which women tend to be better at.

Oh no you didn't.

jb7706
05-24-2010, 10:29 AM

I would take issue with that. Well, the Dillon part is spot on, but I would go with a 650. The auto-indexing feature greatly reduces the risk of a double charge and the extra station can be fitted with the powder check system that further reduces the chance of a squib or double charge. It's an inherently safer press. There is little difference in set up complexity, at least not IMHO. Unless you are planning to load one of the calibers the 650 does not load that is irrelevant. The conversions are more expensive, but for the additional safety you get I'd say it's worth it.

All that said both are excellent presses.

Timberwolf
05-24-2010, 10:43 AM
For the record I shot the smallest group I've ever shot both at 100 yards and 1000 yards with ammo my wife loaded while I was teaching her. I am convinced she has the Midas touch and is now in charge of my match ammo.

Catheaven
05-24-2010, 2:06 PM
I for one am always impressed when I watch videos that are featuring females actually being able to shoot properly. (I"m not talking about all the videos where the girls are hitting themselves with the gun etc..)

I'd definitely watch it if your wife made one. I'm not into reloading yet but it's something that definitely interests me.

Steyrlp10- i never got the gist of an iron either. Heck either I use my dryer to get wrinkles out or use that downy wrinkle spray.

Lancear15
05-24-2010, 2:35 PM
I for one am always impressed when I watch videos that are featuring females actually being able to shoot properly.

Have you seen steel challenge world champ and uspsa national champ Jessie Abbate?

http://www.ammoland.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/Jessie_Abbate.jpg

http://www.northcove.com/Art%20-%20Splash/Jessie-Abbate-7.gif

http://www.gunreports.com/media/newspics/Jessie_Abbate.JPG

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2T8Gs20xIdY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2T8Gs20xIdY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Cowboy T
05-24-2010, 3:53 PM
Wow...Jessie has some forearms there, kinda like the female version of Jerry Miculek. That's what happens when you're a top athlete.

For those of you who said yep, it might help, good news. We have the raw footage, and it'll probably take me the whole week to finish the editing, but it's in progress. Hopefully I'll have it ready in a week. Will post when I do.

Cowboy T
05-24-2010, 4:24 PM

Well, since you asked, and others have weighed in, I might as well, too.

There is a "holy war" of sorts when it comes to brands of presses, much like with some people who buy Apple Macs. I don't give a rat's posterior for such nonsense. You've gotten several "just buy Dillon" recommendations. I don't agree with that. While good gear, Dillons are "progressive" presses and thus complex by nature, too complex for most beginners to start out with SAFELY. The key word here is SAFELY.

Since you're starting out, I'd recommend getting an inexpensive single-stage press. The $30 "Lee Reloader Press" is a fine choice. I've loaded about 1,000 rounds of .357 Magnum and .45 Colt before I went to the more complex gear. Get your good reloading fundamentals down pat first. It eventually will save some part of your body.

In the video that I'm currently editing, my g/f demonstrates the Lee Reloader Press and makes some mighty fine .38 Special ammo with it. I like that she's learning this the safest--and thus by definition right--way.

Undoubtedly the "Dillon fans" will disagree with me. That's fine, this is America. But I see no reason for you to drop upwards of $1,000 just to see if you like this hobby. After you get some experience, then it might be worth it to consider dropping a giant wad of cash like that. But give yourself time.

SDJim
05-24-2010, 5:30 PM

I prefer the 550 for rifle and the 650 for pistol.

XDRoX
05-25-2010, 8:23 AM
One thing regarding the lead comments. I also hate handling lead, but it is very possible to load without lead. Berry's an Rainier make lead safe bullets, which is what I use 99% of the time. To the OP, if you do have your GF in the video then maybe mention that you aren't using lead.
Also I think that shooting indoors is way more dangerous than handling lead.

Catheaven
05-25-2010, 9:35 AM
I have watched a few of her videos on youtube. She's pretty awesome.

8bitnintendo
05-25-2010, 10:08 AM
Also I think that shooting indoors is way more dangerous than handling lead.
Indoor, especially poorly ventilated ranges are definitely worse than reloading in my opinion. As long as you wash your hands religiously after reloading and don't eat/drink while reloading (and try to avoid huffing the dust from the brass tumbler), I don't really see how you could absorb enough to make a difference. If it is that much of a concern, latex or nitrile gloves are cheap! You can get your blood lead level measured during your regular physical. Plus if you donate blood every 60 days, you are helping your system get rid of some of that lead... ;)

Twinspool
05-25-2010, 4:47 PM
Dillons are overpriced. Hornady LnL is what I'd buy if I was looking for an Auto Progressive. Their seating dies are great too!

I batch load all my ammo on a single stage Rock Chucker. It works well, takes a little more time, but I like the results so far.

XDRoX
05-25-2010, 5:19 PM
Dillons are overpriced.

You're paying for the lifetime warranty as well as one of the best made presses available. Honestly if they charged way more than they do I still think it's worth it. Hornady also makes a nice press, but in 30 years if something wears out or breaks it's nice to know that Dillon will replace it for free. I own a lot of tools but none compare to the Dillon.
The old Rock Chucker is a hell of a press as well, I have one also.

Funny, just 5 minutes ago I just finished mounting an over 20 year old RCBS JR3 to my bench. I sized some 45ACP on it to test it out and it still works like the day it was made.

Cowboy T
05-27-2010, 7:17 PM
BACK TO TOPIC...let's not get too far into the press "holy wars" here. Remember, one of the purposes for this series is getting started with reloading without breaking the bank.

The first four video segments (the main ones) are done. I will upload them tonight at www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com.

Additionally, I should be finished editing the 5th segment this evening. This is a brief "overview" of the several steps without a lot of discussion. That fifth segment should be up no later than Friday evening, hopefully sooner.

UPDATE 28 May 2010: The entire video series is now uploaded and ready, including the 5th segment. Hopefully it helps some folks.

Shoot-it
05-29-2010, 1:04 AM
Lead is not good for anyone.Shooting in a in door range is more hazardous than reloading .Some wear gloves or just wash hands after reloading.

GunLover
06-10-2010, 7:51 AM
I think most girls like to do things that are creative when it comes to our hands. Reloading just doesn't do it for me :(

Yes but it takes patience,order,control and attention to detail which women tend to be better at.[/QUOTE]

that is what my wife thinks.
Thats cool. I enjoy my time reloading. It gives me time to relax and have some down time.