PDA

View Full Version : One of you college guys ought to try this:raffle a rifle rather than hold a bake sale

TonyNorCal
03-16-2006, 1:00 PM
http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=508021

Heh:p

See how 'tolerant' self-proclaimed bastions of tolerance really are...

blacklisted
03-16-2006, 1:19 PM
Someone should do this here with a C&R rifle.

It might not go well in "urban areas". I can just picture the gang members getting in line to put in their tickets...then claiming discrimination when you don't sell them tickets.

superhondaz50
03-16-2006, 1:32 PM
That would be cool to do out here, I would try it except colleges out here are WAY to liberal. I once metioned in a class that I owned firearms, and I was treated as if I were the spawn of satan.

phish
03-16-2006, 1:38 PM
That would be cool to do out here, I would try it except colleges out here are WAY to liberal. I once metioned in a class that I owned firearms, and I was treated as if I were the spawn of satan.

f 'em. I was blacklisted (heh) after we covered the Constitution in a poly sci class and I got into it with the professor and a butt-load of students when it came down to the 2nd Ammendment.

I wasn't there to make people feel warm and fuzzy. I was there to get that dang piece of paper so I could move on in life.

rips31
03-16-2006, 2:34 PM
glad it worked out for that guy.

CowtownBallin
03-16-2006, 2:59 PM
Giving away a C&R rifle wouldn't be a bad idea. If only I had an event to figure out prizes for, I'd gladly go pick up a Mosin-Nagant/Enfield/Mauser/Schmidt-Ruben and give it up for a good cause :D

shopkeep
03-16-2006, 3:09 PM
My experience with firearms ownership when I was in college is that there's a group-think that goes on with them being "Taboo". The liberals all whine about them and demonize you for being a gun owner when in classes, etc. However, they always inevitably approach you later 1 on 1 at a party, etc and ask, "Hey can I go to the range with you sometime?". Man did I contribute a lot to firearms ownership when I went to college LOL!

blacklisted
03-16-2006, 3:10 PM
I've got 2-3 people wanting to buy guns (got one to buy an off-list lower). All are friends though. I'm too timid to really talk to people at school.

PanzerAce
03-16-2006, 3:18 PM
I've got 2-3 people wanting to buy guns (got one to buy an off-list lower). All are friends though. I'm too timid to really talk to people at school.

same here, but I just let people ask first, because me and my friends confirm range times right as we are leaving class. Other people overhear us, and generally want to know when they can come along. I figure I have gotten a couple of people into guns at this point (1 got a STAG-15 alread, the other one is starting to seriously consider it)

phish
03-16-2006, 3:33 PM
College is funny that way. When I took the upper division English writing class, one of the students did his on the 2nd Ammendment. Just looking at the guy, you'd never guess he was a hardcore gun owner. I offered to loan him my LaPierre books, but he already owned them. :cool:

blacklisted
03-16-2006, 3:38 PM
I went to the library at my school once, and someone had left a book out. It was "Gun Rights in America" or something like that (a pro-gun book). I put a bullet from a 7.62X39 round in it and put it back on the table it was on. :D

jtyoshi
03-17-2006, 12:51 AM
To bad raffles are illegal in california. Its a form of gambling. Well at least the Lawyer for Cal Poly Pomona's student body believes so. Thats what our club has been told when they tried to raffle off a ipod.

PanzerAce
03-17-2006, 1:01 AM
To bad raffles are illegal in california. Its a form of gambling. Well at least the Lawyer for Cal Poly Pomona's student body believes so. Thats what our club has been told when they tried to raffle off a ipod.

O_o

you need to get a new lawyer. Hell, there is going to be a raffle for a new Mustang GT in a month here at UCM. and once our shooting team/club is started, we plan on raffling off the stuff we either get as donations (tax deductible, ask me how!) or that we do not need any more.

jtyoshi
03-17-2006, 1:28 AM
Assuming you've jumped through all three hoops then your legit. However I'd reconsider if you haven't gone thru the due process as stated below... Merely give someone who dislikes your club a mode of shutting down.
I dunno about you but are clubs have issues with people making the meetings yet alone maintaining record of sales ect ect.
However with a smaller club or a club with a stronger leadership group :D im sure it can be done

http://caag.state.ca.us/charities/raffles.htm
==========
In California, charities and certain other private nonprofit organizations may conduct raffles to raise funds for beneficial or charitable purposes in the state.

This exception to the general constitutional prohibition against lotteries requires that at least 90 percent of the gross receipts from these raffles go directly to beneficial or charitable purposes in California.

Unless specifically exempted, a nonprofit organization must register with the Attorney General's Registry of Charitable Trusts prior to conducting the raffle and file financial disclosure reports on each raffle event. Forms for registering and reporting activities are provided on this web page.

What organizations qualify and how the raffles must be conducted are governed by Penal Code section 320.5, which was added by Senate Bill 639 (McPherson, Chapter 778, Stats. of 2000). For details, view the Frequently Asked Questions, Statutes and Regulations.

A review of charitable lottery activity in California is available in the publication Nonprofit Raffle Program Report to the Legislature.

O_o

you need to get a new lawyer. Hell, there is going to be a raffle for a new Mustang GT in a month here at UCM. and once our shooting team/club is started, we plan on raffling off the stuff we either get as donations (tax deductible, ask me how!) or that we do not need any more.

PanzerAce
03-17-2006, 8:31 AM
yah, well, we are a gun related club, so we have been treading VERY carefully with regards to all this.

DSA_FAL
03-17-2006, 9:40 AM
That sounds like a great way to fundraise and stir up a little controversy. I'd love to do it for the school paper that I'm an editor for. You can check it out online at http://www.californiareview.org Check out page 7 of the Winter '06 Issue 1 to read a great gun rights article. All three of the editors, myself included, are gun owners.

Now the regulations are the same in our case as was done in South Carolina and we'd have to do the same. (i.e. lottery = bad, free raffle plus donations = good) If anyone here would seriously like to donate a firearm for the cause, please PM me. (If any business or organization were to donate, we'd be more than happy to promote that business or organization.) I think it would be a great way to promote firearms rights and cause anxiety among the liberals and dirty hippies on campus. Maybe a Kalifornia legal AR with a sporting conversion kit installed. Now THAT would cause controversy! :D

Victor
03-17-2006, 10:50 AM
Panzer we should have a UCD vs UCM shooting match. I know cowtown and a few other people from UCD might be down. I'll ask cowtown about starting a rifle and pistol club here so we can make it legit.

PanzerAce
03-17-2006, 11:56 AM
Panzer we should have a UCD vs UCM shooting match. I know cowtown and a few other people from UCD might be down. I'll ask cowtown about starting a rifle and pistol club here so we can make it legit.

hmmmm.....I dont know. We still are getting started up, and for awhile the club will only do pistol comps for some reason (I still argue in the meetings that we should start with rifle).

screw it, when, where, what range, and what rules? :D

Victor
03-17-2006, 8:29 PM
hmmmm.....I dont know. We still are getting started up, and for awhile the club will only do pistol comps for some reason (I still argue in the meetings that we should start with rifle).

screw it, when, where, what range, and what rules? :D

Well as long as you're interested I'll look into forming a club here at UCD. The first rifle match should be OL Cali AR's ;) . That would be sure to hit the local papers.

Why would you guys start with pistols? Wouldn't that alienate people under 21? Unless of course, you plan on buying pistols for the club. If that's the case I might have to transfer. :D BTW how many people are in your rifle/ pistol club?

CowtownBallin
03-17-2006, 10:11 PM
Vic, I would be happy to be co-founder of the UC Davis Shooting Sports club. We can make it an intramural dealie, too.

Get a whole bunch of hot chix to sign up (I'll have my homegirl Anna Ritner publicize for us in the Aggie) and dudes will flock to it.
Once the bullets start being released from their brass oppressors, everyone will be curious, happy, and excited. Word of mouth will spread like wildfire. Curious hippies will wash up and put on shoes, Palestinians will shoot next to Israelis, and for the first time, not at each other. We will have solved world problems. :D

I lend my arsenal to the cause!

PanzerAce
03-17-2006, 10:27 PM
Well as long as you're interested I'll look into forming a club here at UCD. The first rifle match should be OL Cali AR's ;) . That would be sure to hit the local papers.

Why would you guys start with pistols? Wouldn't that alienate people under 21? Unless of course, you plan on buying pistols for the club. If that's the case I might have to transfer. :D BTW how many people are in your rifle/ pistol club?

hehe, well, I dont have my 2 OL ARs built up, but maybe Fall 06 eh? as for pistols, I think because they are easier to store. I also brought up the under 21 deal, but they stayed firm on this issue. I think I might end up becoming the unofficial rifle guy of the club *rolls eyes*. Right now there are about 10 people. However, there is a dinner tomorrow that we are bringing a bunch of people to that enjoy shooting sports, but dont yet know about the club.

PanzerAce
03-17-2006, 10:28 PM
Vic, I would be happy to be co-founder of the UC Davis Shooting Sports club. We can make it an intramural dealie, too.

Get a whole bunch of hot chix to sign up (I'll have my homegirl Anna Ritner publicize for us in the Aggie) and dudes will flock to it.
Once the bullets start being released from their brass oppressors, everyone will be curious, happy, and excited. Word of mouth will spread like wildfire. Curious hippies will wash up and put on shoes, Palestinians will shoot next to Israelis, and for the first time, not at each other. We will have solved world problems. :D

I lend my arsenal to the cause!

O
M
F
G

I think I just spent about 3 minutes laughing at that. And as for the hot chicks, see the above post, who do you think we are bringing to the dinner :D

CowtownBallin
03-17-2006, 10:42 PM
P.S. Alea Roach is hot. Does she do 4n4L? :D

shecky
03-17-2006, 11:18 PM
A raffle for a firearm would be cool, but it could become a nightmare, considering the background check, potential disqualified winners, and potential liabilities. :(

CowtownBallin
03-17-2006, 11:38 PM
no background check/FFL required for a C&R rifle older than 50 years :D

Victor
03-18-2006, 12:23 AM
Sounds like a plan on the club...

I would love to see the reaction of liberals when you hand over a C&R rifle with no paper work and background check :).

PanzerAce
03-18-2006, 1:04 AM
Sounds like a plan on the club...

I would love to see the reaction of liberals when you hand over a C&R rifle with no paper work and background check :).

screw it, Im this close | | to getting a **** load of em for the club to raffle off.