PDA

View Full Version : Legal Carry or Weapon Transportation

Alphahookups
03-16-2006, 8:01 AM
I have been looking but havent found what the definition of concealed carry is. I was thinking after seeing a comment in the gun safe forum, that maybe I will buy some lock boxes for my vehicles so that I can have a firearm in the vehicle but that got me thinking.

What is considered concealed carry? Does that mean that the magazine and firearm are together and being carried as one, or does just having both on your person even if they are in seperate locations still constitute concealed carry.

Sorry, its probably a dumb question, but Im curious.

Thanks

Alpha

glen avon
03-16-2006, 8:19 AM
penal code sections 12025 et seq. define concealed carry.

krby
03-16-2006, 8:34 AM
What is considered concealed carry? Does that mean that the magazine and firearm are together and being carried as one, or does just having both on your person even if they are in seperate locations still constitute concealed carry.

Sorry, its probably a dumb question, but Im curious.

Not a dumb question, but one you can answer on your own. Check out the CA DOJ website: http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/index.html
You can find the actual statues there.

Alphahookups
03-16-2006, 9:10 AM
Thanks guys.

It seems like quite the run around. The section Glen Avon gave me references multiple other sections that reference multiple other sections.

I guess thats their way of confusing the citizens. In either case I guess it can be presumed that under any circumstance, if the firearm is concealed whether or not you have the magazine in the firearm, it is considered concealed carry.

artherd
03-16-2006, 9:35 AM
Thanks guys.

It seems like quite the run around. The section Glen Avon gave me references multiple other sections that reference multiple other sections.

I guess thats their way of confusing the citizens.
That's law!
It's actually qutie complicated, but worth looking at the crossreferences to properly understand this. Print 'em out and draw lines if nessecary (I do this. Sometimes I use string on big stuff)

Alphahookups
03-16-2006, 9:47 AM
I just might do that

bwiese
03-16-2006, 9:48 AM
Simple rules to keep you out of trouble...

keep handguns locked up & unloaded, and mags unloaded. The trunk is a locked container.

handguns locked separately from ammo - if ammo + gun in trunk, lock up the gun in its own case.

you can't generally travel around with a handgun, you have to be going to/from a specific destination where you can have/use one (home, range, friend's home, gunshop, etc.) You can't leave a handgun in your truck for 'general purposes' even if it's locked & unloaded.

Long gun rules more relaxed. No locked restrictions, just gotta be unloaded. You can throw a long gun behind the seat of your truck and keep it there, if you choose to do so.

Assault weapons are somewhat similar to handguns - must be transported locked up, unloaded, and between specific authorized destinations. Don't bring your AW to your friend's house if he doesn't own the home, as you need the property owner's permission to bring it on premises. (This does not apply to actual owner, who can possess one on his own rental property.) 'Specific destination' violations could be more serious as 12280(a) is a felony.

metalhead357
03-16-2006, 10:06 AM
, if the firearm is concealed whether or not you have the magazine in the firearm, it is considered concealed carry.

Only/Just for clarity sake.....Methinks you're mixing terms or coming close to doing so & I dont wanna see you or anyone get confused in the matter. There's a difference between what is concealed and what is loaded. A magazine in it does NOT make it concealed...in MANY (Read NOT ALL) cases a magazine inserted is considered a loaded magazine....

Call 'em exemptions or whatever....While HUNTING in AN APPROVED area a gun is NOT deemed loaded unless there is actually a round IN the chamber, having the mag "just" attached and nothing down the pipe is considered UNloaded.

Concealed means & infers that one has in thier possession a weapon that is capable of being hidden from 'general' sight- be it a pocket, armpit, crotch, glovebox, etc. etc. and it is either not readily identifiable as a weapon (the classic pager pistols) or the weapon is actually hidden and not "in plain sight".....................

Metalhead

Alphahookups
03-16-2006, 11:07 AM
Bill,
So even if you meet the definition of the law for handguns,i.e. in a locked container seperate from the handgun, you cant just leave it in your vehicle?

Metal,
I understand everything you are saying. Im trying to figure out what the law constitutes concealed carry. My understand now is that you are carrying concealed a handgun with any sort of ammunition then it is considered concealed carry.

Im not sure if you can legally carry around a handgun with no ammunition but even if you could, whats the point.

Basically I heard the guys in the safe forum say that some guy at a gun show sells lockboxes for underneath car seats. I then thought that it could be a good idea to have a handgun in the car in the lockbox at all times thus obeying the law.

My only problem now is what Bill is saying about going somewhere that allows guns. I mean can't any person say where they are taking the guns is a legal destination.

ldivinag
03-16-2006, 11:45 AM
just get this frggin' book:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0964286408/qid=1142538252/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-5071497-8238208?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

that one is an older version. i think every year, he puts out a new version to keep up with the current and new laws...

really opened my eyes after reading the concealed weapons section...

available are your local gun stores....

bwiese
03-16-2006, 12:27 PM
Bill,
So even if you meet the definition of the law for handguns,i.e. in a locked container seperate from the handgun, you cant just leave it in your vehicle?

Yup. You gotta be going somewhere where it's allowed. You can't just cruise around all the time with it "just in case".

Now, if you're near home and range and/or friends' homes where it'd be allowed during non-biz hours ("yeah, I was gonna show my friend the new Python") then you have a valid reason for transporting it. This stuff is hard to prove, too, and there's no real legal standard on how direct your route to/from the shooting range is.

metalhead357
03-16-2006, 1:08 PM
This stuff is hard to prove, too, and there's no real legal standard on how direct your route to/from the shooting range is.

Ditto on that. Must be an approved place but if you're riding around at 2 am 400 miles from home and 412 miles from "the range" and both are in the opposite direction from where you're headed-- you'll have some serious 'splainin' to do.

Get yourself a CCW...that'll do away with most of the "nonsense" you're coupled with right now. Either that or join a range and littearlly go daily after work......then if you were pulled over with it you'd at least have SOME kind of alibi. It does come down to what Bill said though...you're allowed "some" stops along the way going to or coming from that valid place to have a gun. But stopping at the neiborhood crack house with a cruz down meat street looking for the hook up...........THAT will get you the wrong kind of hook up........

FreedomIsNotFree
03-16-2006, 3:31 PM
Simple rules to keep you out of trouble...

keep handguns locked up & unloaded, and mags unloaded. The trunk is a locked container.

handguns locked separately from ammo - if ammo + gun in trunk, lock up the gun in its own case.

you can't generally travel around with a handgun, you have to be going to/from a specific destination where you can have/use one (home, range, friend's home, gunshop, etc.) You can't leave a handgun in your truck for 'general purposes' even if it's locked & unloaded.

Long gun rules more relaxed. No locked restrictions, just gotta be unloaded. You can throw a long gun behind the seat of your truck and keep it there, if you choose to do so.

Assault weapons are somewhat similar to handguns - must be transported locked up, unloaded, and between specific authorized destinations. Don't bring your AW to your friend's house if he doesn't own the home, as you need the property owner's permission to bring it on premises. (This does not apply to actual owner, who can possess one on his own rental property.) 'Specific destination' violations could be more serious as 12280(a) is a felony.

Hey Bill,

It was my understanding that if the handgun is locked in the trunk.....you could have the magazine loaded in the car. Just for clarification...I am not talking about having the handgun locked in a container IN the car, but rather the trunk while the mag is loaded in the car. Thanks.

Alphahookups
03-16-2006, 3:45 PM
I might just pick up the book those ldivinag talked about. Whatever path I choose, I will not break the law. Its just unfortunate that I take so much care to not break the law when criminals just dont give a **** period.

:confused: