PDA

View Full Version : NFA TAX, full auto??

EBWhite
03-16-2006, 12:17 AM
Hey,

Yes, i know this is not a calif related question!

Lets say you are in a NFA legal state and you own an AR15 that you want to Legally convert to Full auto.

Is it true you pay the $200 tax with the form and send it to the ATF?

Or does this 200 tax not apply to full autos, only SBR's?

PanzerAce
03-16-2006, 12:18 AM
thats a nogo. AFAIK, any full auto had to be that way prior to the 1986 MG ban.

Mike Searson
03-16-2006, 6:28 AM
No transferable full autos are allowed that were manufactured after 1986.

You can only buy what's in the registry.

You can SBR or AOW a new weapon.

Closest you can get to "building one" is buying a registered Full-Auto Sear.
Although they cost as much as the Full Auto gun does.

anothergunnut
03-16-2006, 10:59 AM
That's why law enforcement can purchase full auto M16s for $800 but civilian transferable ones are over $10,000.

PanzerAce
03-16-2006, 11:05 AM
That's why law enforcement can purchase full auto M16s for $800 but civilian transferable ones are over $10,000.

15k+ last I checked

phish
03-16-2006, 11:10 AM
yeah, I was crusing around a website that was selling class 3 stuff, dang...

12k for an auto sear, and it was marked as sold! :eek:

That stuff is freakishly expensive, more power to the person who can afford it.

xenophobe
03-16-2006, 11:16 AM
Or if you have LE connections, you get your FFL and Tax Stamp, and if you can get LE letterheads stating they want to try certain products, you can hold them in inventory as demos until you go out of business. ;)

PanzerAce
03-16-2006, 11:25 AM
Or if you have LE connections, you get your FFL and Tax Stamp, and if you can get LE letterheads stating they want to try certain products, you can hold them in inventory as demos until you go out of business. ;)

lol, smart *** bastard :D

actually, what is the situation with autos re: UC clubs? because we have a shooting club on campus, and while the LEOs that are helping us have some fun toys (like the Uzi I get to play with in a few weeks), I was wondering if there is any way for the club itself to own an auto?

ldivinag
03-16-2006, 11:39 AM
lol, smart *** bastard :D

actually, what is the situation with autos re: UC clubs? because we have a shooting club on campus, and while the LEOs that are helping us have some fun toys (like the Uzi I get to play with in a few weeks), I was wondering if there is any way for the club itself to own an auto?

hmmmm what campus is this? MERCED?

on a side note, i work at cal state hayward and a fellow co-worker, who's been here forever, showed me a "yearbook" from the 50s/60s...

of all things, is a PISTOL AND RIFLE CLUB!!!!!!

ohsmily
03-16-2006, 11:42 AM
on a side note, i work at cal state hayward and a fellow co-worker, who's been here forever, showed me a "yearbook" from the 50s/60s...

of all things, is a PISTOL AND RIFLE CLUB!!!!!!

I started the marksmanship club at UCSD and my fiance currently is the chairperson since I graduated...many schools have shooting teams and clubs. We receive funding from the school each quarter to host shooting range events etc.

As to the question of getting an NFA item via the club...yeah F***ING right. Get real.

PanzerAce
03-16-2006, 11:48 AM
As to the question of getting an NFA item via the club...yeah F***ING right. Get real.

Sorry, I guess I wasnt very clear. I meant for the club itself, not for people in the club. the fact of the matter is that many people who live in CA have never even seen a gun go full auto before (me included), and because part of the clubs misison is to educate people about firearms and their historical uses, NFA items are a part of that.

and yes, it is UC Merced.

Oh, and once I get pics/vids of the Uzi, Ill post some pictures :D

EBWhite
03-16-2006, 12:21 PM
I was reading someone that there was a court case of a guy who built 5 auto weapons in AZ. 9th curcuit through out his conviction based on the MG ban saying to be prosecuted under federal law the guns had to be involved in interstate commerce. Well, he built them himself, intended to never sell so he got to keep them....very interesting story...

ohsmily
03-16-2006, 12:33 PM
Sorry, I guess I wasnt very clear. I meant for the club itself, not for people in the club. the fact of the matter is that many people who live in CA have never even seen a gun go full auto before (me included), and because part of the clubs misison is to educate people about firearms and their historical uses, NFA items are a part of that.

and yes, it is UC Merced.

Oh, and once I get pics/vids of the Uzi, Ill post some pictures :D

I know what you meant about getting one for "the club" to own.

You have 0 chance of getting one. First of all, excluding the near impossibility of getting a class III in this state, you really thing the UC is going to allow or have provisions for a student organization to own a gun (which is what you are suggesting)? Before you go barking up the tree of getting a Class III, just try and own a gun under the entity of the club. When you have a gun that is owned and registered to your club, then come back and ask about Class III.

Go ask your student org advisor about how you can go about registering a gun in the clubs name and don't be embarrassed when they laugh at you.

PanzerAce
03-16-2006, 1:25 PM
thanks for the help ohs, and as for the club owning firearms, its already being finalized, so shove it :D