PDA

View Full Version : Tool list for ar-15 upper assembly

gunnery
05-20-2010, 8:08 AM
Got the lower and the stock finished.

Now, what, if any, specialized tools are needed for an upper assembly.
And if there are, where's the best place to get them.

Second question: best tutorial for upper assembly? Online or elsewhere?

Thanks for any info.

Barabas
05-20-2010, 9:46 AM
Purchase the best armorer's wrench you can find and an upper assembly action block. Don't cheap out on the wrench and don't skimp on the action block. Make for darn sure you have a good vise, or a solid workbench you can bolt the action block to.

You can get by with improvised tools, but you aren't in a war zone or trying to survive a zombocalypse, so do it right.

stitchnicklas
05-20-2010, 10:10 AM
depends on your upper,
1)are you buying a complete upper???if so no extra tool is nessary

2)building your own,what barabas said +invest alot in patience and keep the laptop next to the work area for references

ar15barrels
05-20-2010, 10:11 AM
The tools depend on what parts.

Here are SOME of my upper tools:

http://ar15barrels.com/tech/tools.jpg

At most recent count, I have about $800 in AR specific tools.
That's not counting common hand tools such as hammers, allen wrenches, torque wrenches etc.

It kinda makes my $25 charge to assemble an upper from a box of parts seem like a good deal...

Cyclepath
05-20-2010, 10:15 AM
I have one of these (http://www.spikestactical.com/z/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=78_55&products_id=180). I actually got it on eBay a couple of years ago. DPMS has one like it holds an upper well for tightening down a barrel. DPMS also has something similar. You can get a block that fits in the magwell but I only use those for installing LPKs. Get a good armorer's wrench that has a stock tool.

As far as a tutorial, I have used the US Marine armorers manual since the late 80's but there are sources on here or AR15.com in the "build it yourself" forum.

reagan8
06-29-2010, 9:05 PM
What are the advantages to clamping the upper receiver versus clamping the barrel? Clamping the barrel would just require some non-marring jaws (or am I being naive?) versus buying a specialized (and potentially one-time-only) tool.

If you're installing a free-float tube, the obvious advantage would be that you don't have to clamp, un-clamp, and then re-clamp the barrel to replace the barrel nut.

Aside from that, is there something wrong with clamping the barrel rather than the receiver?

killshot44
06-29-2010, 9:23 PM
What are the advantages to clamping the upper receiver versus clamping the barrel? Clamping the barrel would just require some non-marring jaws (or am I being naive?) versus buying a specialized (and potentially one-time-only) tool.

If you're installing a free-float tube, the obvious advantage would be that you don't have to clamp, un-clamp, and then re-clamp the barrel to replace the barrel nut.

Aside from that, is there something wrong with clamping the barrel rather than the receiver?

Without a proper pipe/barrel-clamp to use with the vise it is very difficult. Not impossible but difficult.
Get the Receiver block or just have your friendly local 'smith bang it out for you..