PDA

View Full Version : What's the rubber ring for in the gunfighter's charging handle?

davy
05-19-2010, 10:20 PM
I purchased BCM's gunfighter charging handle, mod 4:
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-GUNFIGHTER-Charging-Handle-GFH-Mod-4-p/bcm%20gfh%20mod%204%20556.htm

There is a very, very small black rubber ring in the bag along side the charging handle, does anybody know what it's for or where it's meant to go into?

THanks

MotherGunner
05-19-2010, 10:25 PM
Perhaps you got an extractor ring by accident?

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Extractor-Spring-Uprade-Kit-p/bcm%20extractor%20spring%20upgrade.htm

pacrimguru
05-19-2010, 10:30 PM
i have 7 of them and none of mine came with a rubber o ring.

davy
05-19-2010, 10:31 PM
Maybe, the o-ring in the bag looks just like the one in the photo. It's about 1/4 of an inch in diameter.

davy
05-19-2010, 10:33 PM
Mmm, maybe it came in the bag with the bcg instead? I'm gonna have to apologize if it came in with the bcg, the two bags are basically the same.

Edit: yup, came in with the bcg instead. Do I need to install it in the bcg? The bcg looks like it's assembled already to me, is the o-ring spare?

dg29
05-19-2010, 10:34 PM
The small o-ring comes in the plastic bag with their BCG's when you purchase one. It's an extra one for the BCG. They must have sealed up your charging handle in a BCG bag.

davy
05-19-2010, 10:37 PM
yeah, I think so. Sorry for the false alarm, guys.

xxINKxx
05-19-2010, 10:58 PM
Well now that thats figured out, how do you like the charging handle compared to the standard style? Ive been thinking of getting the same exact one you purchased for my next build. Seems like they would boost the overal ergonomics of the gun..Anything to make things more comfy/easier is A-OK in my book haha

davy
05-20-2010, 11:11 PM
Well now that thats figured out, how do you like the charging handle compared to the standard style? Ive been thinking of getting the same exact one you purchased for my next build. Seems like they would boost the overal ergonomics of the gun..Anything to make things more comfy/easier is A-OK in my book haha

I got to say, I should've gone with a mod 3 (LARGE) instead!

I didn't want a latch that was large enough to get in the way, but I think medium is still too small.

Koolpsych
05-21-2010, 1:30 AM

I didn't want a latch that was large enough to get in the way, but I think medium is still too small.

Interesting as I was leaning toward the medium as I didn't want my latch to be too large, but I also want it easy to grasp. As long as the large isn't too big I would go for that one.

Do you happen to have any pics of the handle?

pacrimguru
05-21-2010, 7:21 AM
i have only mod 4's and find them perfect to use. my friend got a mod 3 and found it only suitable for bench shooting. the large mod 3 kept getting hung up on gear and poking him when slung in single point sling configuration. in fact, mod 5 may be the way to go, it's the new small latch.

CHS
05-21-2010, 8:48 AM

Wow, you're the first person I've heard say that.

Almost everyone prefers the mediums because they think the LARGES are too big :)

The larges are great for optics builds though.

Personally, I think the Mediums are about perfect.

NorCal*Shooter
05-21-2010, 9:32 AM
I would have to concur with davy. I just got the mod 4 and i'm going with a 3 on my other ar. The large is more comfortable and since I'm left handed, I don't have to worry about it getting hung up on clothing. You rightys might have an issue though.

Jpach
05-21-2010, 11:03 AM

Almost everyone prefers the mediums because they think the LARGES are too big :)

What would you and others suggest for those of us who run ACOGs? I definitely gata get me one of these BCM GFs

hybridatsun350
05-21-2010, 1:37 PM
I've got one of these...

http://riflegear.com/p-392-badger-ordnance-tactical-latch.aspx

... and really like it. It's a good alternative if you want to save a few bucks and avoid buying a whole new charging handle. That BCM unit looks really nice though!

JayBeeJay
05-21-2010, 3:52 PM
I got 2 Mod 4's and 1 Mod 3 and I prefer the medium latch. Even with gloves the Mod 4 is perfect to me.

Koolpsych
05-21-2010, 11:04 PM
Thanks for the input. I think I'll eventually go with the Mod 4 and go with the middle of the road.

davy
05-21-2010, 11:33 PM

What's an optics build and why would large handles be better for it?

RAAK_FJ
05-22-2010, 6:54 AM
2 Mod 4's and they work excellent

jdberger
05-22-2010, 7:22 AM
What's an optics build and why would large handles be better for it?

An "optics build" would be an AR rifle build with some sort of optical sight (99% of the time that means one with magnification). The optics (scope) usually hangs a little off the back of the reciever. For that reason, it's hard to get a good two-finger grip on the charging handle - thus the large handle.