View Full Version : Shooting in non approved areas.

03-15-2006, 3:08 PM
I just got back from Big 5.

While I was there two guys that seemed either new to guns or new to Cali asked me if I knew of an area okay to shoot out in the open. I told them the closest one I knew of was in Mojave, they wanted to get somewhere closer before the sun went down, I said that the only other one I knew of was Angeles Forest but that they don't allow it there anymore. They didn't want to go to a range so the only help I could offer was Mojave.

They asked me what the penalty was if you were caught shooting in Angeles Forest now that they stopped allowing open firing. I don't know the answer to that so i told them, that since we're in Cali, assume its a very very large penalty.

Does anyone know what the penalty is for shooting in a non approved area?

03-15-2006, 3:13 PM
It can be bad (don't know details) but if you're using an AW (registered or not!) and shooting in an unauthorized area it can be charged as a felony.

03-15-2006, 3:36 PM
Certain areas of counties are open to shooting. Normally in the unincorperated areas...

LA county has one, in Acton....

03-15-2006, 3:53 PM
Does anyone know what the penalty is for shooting in a non approved area?

Hey, weren't you at Denny's today?? :D

03-15-2006, 4:01 PM
Not sure of penalty, but certainly if you have a Kali AW, then you are putting yourself at some risk - as well even if you are not.

If I am not at a designated public area for the discharging of firearms, then I am on private property shooting with the owner or with their permission. It's not a good idea, especially in most areas of California, to deviate from that.

glen avon
03-15-2006, 4:23 PM
there can even be restrictions on private land

i.e., no shooting in backyards in cities and some county areas

03-15-2006, 4:57 PM
First off, Angeles National Forest falls under Federal jurisdiction. Hunting is allowed in some areas, and target shooting is only allowed at the ranges.

As to discharging a firearm within Ca., it depends on the circumstances. You could be charged with:
Shooting from a vehicle, or across a road.
Shooting near an occupied dwelling.
Unlawful hunting
Assault with a deadly weapon.

Most cities and many counties have municpal codes that prohibit discharging firearms within city limits or within parks.

03-15-2006, 5:02 PM

nope, big 5 and jack in the box was my lunch break

03-15-2006, 9:15 PM

OMG I think I just got that. I was watching a commercial for the news and saw that there was a shooting at Denny's. Is that what ou were referencing?

03-15-2006, 10:15 PM
OMG I think I just got that. I was watching a commercial for the news and saw that there was a shooting at Denny's. Is that what ou were referencing?

03-16-2006, 6:27 AM
Well, here is my 2 cents on the matter. According to the law you have to be at least 1/4 mile off any public roadway and in "public land". I know for sure that National Forrests are considered public land and have gone shooting many times up in the hills off of Hwy 88. I have even had park service and local law enforcemnt personel show up to investigate. Every time it has been no hassle and they even joined in a couple of times. The parks service guys told me not to use live trees as a backstop, as that constituted vandalism, or destruction of property...something like that. Now I was not using any AW's, so that never came into question. Check ahead with the forestry service or local sherriff's office and you will probably get the info you are looking for.

03-19-2006, 8:28 PM
I'm calling the Bakersfield BLM area office and the SLO sheriff dept tomorrow to inquire about something I've heard recently regarding the Carrizo Plains area.

It's a massive chunk of BLM land and with the internal memo regarding use of AW on BLM land being permitted, I need to find out if there is some kind of restriction at Carrizo Plains due to it being a national monument.

A person reported that a SLO sheriff deputy told them that the use of legal assault weapons is restricted in Carrizo Plains and I want to figure out where this information was coming from. Either a BLM head manager restriction or some kind of SLO policy.

Basically trying to figure out if I need to switch over to politically correct firearms for when I go up there to slay jack rabbits. Will give me a good reason to buy a Rem 700 223Rem and 308 but I'd prefer to use my accurized AR15 varmint devining rod.