PDA

View Full Version : Saiga vs PSL-54c

cgseanp1
05-19-2010, 5:52 PM
I'm planning on picking up one of these rifles very soon. I've always wanted the PSL, but now I'm thinking about the Saiga.. They are both relatively close in price, but the PSL ammo is much cheaper(and corrosive, but that's ok with me).
No set purpose for gun, just get, shoot, have fun. What do you guys think? How is the quality of the PSL? I have heard good things about the Saiga..

PS. I am talking about saiga 308, if you didn't figure that out.. oh, and I'm somewhat leaning towards the PSL just because of ammo price, but I'm open for feedback.

Thanks

b.faust
05-19-2010, 6:09 PM
I own the PSL, and have shot several Saigas.
I ended up getting a deal on the PSL (plus I love the Dragunov style look of it) so I went with that.

If you put both in front of me right now and said pick I'd be very torn.
The biggest plus for the Saiga over the PSL (and this from a PSL owner) is that PSL's are like a box of chocolates, sometimes you get one that is absolutely so s**ty you're in tears.
The Saiga on the other hand is pretty standard awesome out of the box.

RaceDay
05-19-2010, 6:27 PM
I own both. I think the PSL is more fun to shoot. I think b.faust summed it up that Saigas are always going to be rock solid while PSL's have the occasional lemon. My PSL has been good so far and I shoot it more than the Saiga.

PSL is cheaper to shoot (use light ball) and looks cool with scope and Dragunov look. Saiga is more rugged, you can always mount a scope on it too using the built in rail, and you won't need a mag lock.

Corrosive ammo is not that big of a deal since both are easy to take apart and clean since they both use the AK action.

b.faust
05-19-2010, 6:38 PM
I own both. I think the PSL is more fun to shoot.

I'm with you there. They are REALLY fun.
:)

ae13291
05-19-2010, 6:48 PM
i bought a PSL and just went and shot it sunday for the first time and man they are sooo fun to shoot! very little kick and that is one powerfull of a round the round destroyed all the targets. just a little hard to get that cheek weld on there

b.faust
05-19-2010, 6:54 PM
just a little hard to get that cheek weld on there

Look no further my friend.
I HIGHLY recommend buying one of these. (http://www.itcmarksmanship.com/c-14-itc-railrest.aspx)

I also bought a low/over bore mount and put a different optic on mine, so now I get a consistent cheek weld every time.

B.

gasol1ne
05-19-2010, 7:10 PM
my vote would go for the psl. like a lot of people are saying, its just so much fun to shoot. plus it just looks good.

i have a psl and a cetme sporter .308. i like shooting the .308 but it costs so much to shoot compared to the psl. I might start shooting the .308 more next month when burro starts to check ammo. Finding rangesafe lightball 54r is really difficult. the only brand i found was privi and wolf gold.

Hoop
05-19-2010, 7:28 PM
PSL, one rifle I will never sell. Saiga I would get in 5.45. They are 300$ and can use AK 74 mags.

asme
05-19-2010, 7:45 PM
If it were me, I'd get the Saiga.

The PSL is a Century Arms zombiegun made of some US parts and some aged Bulgarian parts assembled by blind, drunken monkeys. You can get lucky, but you might not.

The Saiga is built new, all in one place, and it's a quality machine.

ae13291
05-19-2010, 8:00 PM
Look no further my friend.
I HIGHLY recommend buying one of these. (http://www.itcmarksmanship.com/c-14-itc-railrest.aspx)

I also bought a low/over bore mount and put a different optic on mine, so now I get a consistent cheek weld every time.

B.

nice! im going to order one of those from the site. thanks for the post.

C.W.M.V.
05-19-2010, 8:03 PM
If it were me, I'd get the Saiga.

The PSL is a Century Arms zombiegun made of some US parts and some aged Bulgarian parts assembled by blind, drunken monkeys. You can get lucky, but you might not.

The Saiga is built new, all in one place, and it's a quality machine.

Not quite. The TN guns were made from kits and had some quality issues. My PSL was made in Cugir in 09, and as far as quality its nicer than most AK's.

I have the PSL and a Saiga. The saiga is great (5.45). Quality is awesome and its plenty accurate, but so is the PSL! I get 1-2MOA with Irons on both, and can put 10 rapid fire rounds into a clay at 100 meters. Ill be ordering a scope for the PSL next month (1P21) so well see what its like then, probably wont change much.

Honestly I enjoy the PSL more. If I had to choose one gun for SHTF it would be my PSL.

jaustin612
05-19-2010, 8:13 PM
I have em both, theyre both good. PSLs have spotty, very spotty quality issues, you get one that works good, or you don't , barrel canting, or stovepiping issues happen alot.

I got a crap one the first time around, second time, not so bad, I threw a 4-12 variable POSP scope on it and a kickass rhineland arms stock and forend, shoots 1-2 inch groups with crap milsurp now.

Saigas are pretty badass too though, I mean, you have the opportunity to own a no crap russian made ak-style rifle. They handle really nice.

05-19-2010, 8:30 PM
Saiga 308... just because the 308 rounds

ZX-10R
07-06-2010, 4:23 PM
PSL. It is hit or miss with quality...I have a keeper though. Ammo is cheap for a PSL and .308 can get pricey. Get a PSL from Henderson.

jaustin612
07-06-2010, 4:53 PM
get them both. The saiga .308 is a good gun, the psl, provided that you get one that isn't screwed up, is also a good one.