PDA

View Full Version : Shot placement

pieeater
05-19-2010, 3:17 PM
Anyone else hate this term? It drives me freakin nuts everytime I hear it. I mean your not at the range with sandbags and a nice stationary ranged target. A lot of hunting shots are at moving animals unknown range. Most times you have only a few seconds to find a limb or something and shoot and your out of breath from hiking or adrenaline.

Whats funny is i know guys that talk about shot placement and use small guns but ive seen them completely miss animals. They can be off by three feet but they would never be off by a couple inches I guess. Seriously no matter how good of a shot you are at the range dont expect every shot to go as planned while your hunting.

theseacow
05-19-2010, 3:32 PM
texas heart shot ftw

C.W.M.V.
05-19-2010, 3:47 PM
I too hate this term!

I was posting about why I dislike the 5.56 and relating some of my experiences in Iraq. I posted that I had seen 5.56 fly right through a guy without putting him down (cause he probably weighed 96lbs soaking wet and was more than likely high). Even after I explained that the dude in question was unloaded upon by a SAW gunner (ie machine gun) people explained that it was the result of improper shot placement. With a machine gun. and many,many rounds. Right.....

pieeater
05-19-2010, 3:58 PM
I too hate this term!

I was posting about why I dislike the 5.56 and relating some of my experiences in Iraq. I posted that I had seen 5.56 fly right through a guy without putting him down (cause he probably weighed 96lbs soaking wet and was more than likely high). Even after I explained that the dude in question was unloaded upon by a SAW gunner (ie machine gun) people explained that it was the result of improper shot placement. With a machine gun. and many,many rounds. Right.....

LoL I was watching a vid where we were detaining some guys after a battle over there. One guy had 556 holes all over him and he was sitting there talking like nothing happened. Im sure one in the right spot would put him down but jeez in the heat of battle with the other guy running or using cover its not gonna be to easy to pull the perfect head or heart shot. lol

theseacow
05-19-2010, 4:38 PM
I too hate this term!

while i certainly see room for improvement in regards to that situation, it's a little different then the hunting world. The US is bound by stupid treaties and rules that almost make it counterproductive to kill people using "deadly ammunition". Imagine if you could load 5.56 with some premo ammo designed to really mess up human flesh, like you can in the hunting world. Our troops would be way better off. Instead they are stuck with crap FMJ and all the arguments about fragmentation still don't compare to a premo hunting bullet. I've always thought that it was funny that in the hunting world its considered inhumane if you don't use an expanding bullet, but then its considered inhumane if you do use an expanding bullet in war. people are retarded. hopefully this thread doesn't attract the people that think 5.56 was designed to wound and not kill...

but back to the OP's point, I agree that people who use the shot placement argument as justification to use whatever caliber/bullet they want and expect to see results are typically inexperienced hunters.

Fjold
05-19-2010, 5:22 PM
When I'm getting ready to go big game hunting, all my practice is off the sticks, the bipod or offhand. It paid off on my Kudu which I took with a running heart shot at 80 yards offhand.

Although, on my last trip both deer were taken from a high stand shooting from the sitting position and using the padded windowsill for a rest.

Pieeater,

Every time I see your avatar I want a Blue Wildebeest more and more. Not so much for the horns, I want one of those beautiful striped hides for a wall hanging. I think that I'm going to add it to my "must have" list for my Buff hunt in Zim next year.

BigJB
05-19-2010, 5:46 PM
If I don't know the range or the animal is moving, I don't take a shot.

180ls1
05-19-2010, 5:52 PM
Call me crazy but i feel like i am a better shot when i dont have time to setup and think. Anyone else like that? I would say i am better for example shooting a pig at 150 yards offhand then i would be shooting paper at that range offhand.

mif_slim
05-19-2010, 5:57 PM
If I don't know the range or the animal is moving, I don't take a shot.

+1. If your taking the shot because you see a glance of the creature....your doing the wrong thing.

Shot palcement is still key and I still hunt with smaller caliber. I always say, I've seen small 100lbs deers get shot with 7mm Rem and we cant track it because it ran to the next hunting zone.

pieeater
05-19-2010, 6:02 PM
That wildibeest was pure torture! We snuck up on a big herd that was the biggest bull it was bedded down. Setup the shooting sticks as a cow bedded down in front of the bull blocking my shot.Part of the herd fed torward us and i couldnt move a muscle or id be busted. Just stood there with the rifle on the sticks in the standing shooting position, bugs landing on me etc but i wouldnt flinch. Damn it took forever for him to finaly get up so i could shoot.

When I'm getting ready to go big game hunting, all my practice is off the sticks, the bipod or offhand. It paid off on my Kudu which I took with a running heart shot at 80 yards offhand.

Although, on my last trip both deer were taken from a high stand shooting from the sitting position and using the padded windowsill for a rest.

Pieeater,

Every time I see your avatar I want a Blue Wildebeest more and more. Not so much for the horns, I want one of those beautiful striped hides for a wall hanging. I think that I'm going to add it to my "must have" list for my Buff hunt in Zim next year.

pieeater
05-19-2010, 6:05 PM
Yes if I have to think about it sometimes ill get nervous. A quick shot is sometimes better.On big deer once I know its a shooter I wont look at the horns. Otherwise your just thinking holy **** its a monster i better not miss.lol

Call me crazy but i feel like i am a better shot when i dont have time to setup and think. Anyone else like that? I would say i am better for example shooting a pig at 150 yards offhand then i would be shooting paper at that range offhand.

Toast
05-19-2010, 6:14 PM
LoL I was watching a vid where we were detaining some guys after a battle over there. One guy had 556 holes all over him and he was sitting there talking like nothing happened. Im sure one in the right spot would put him down but jeez in the heat of battle with the other guy running or using cover its not gonna be to easy to pull the perfect head or heart shot. lol

If he was that jacked up on drugs using 7.62 wouldn't have been any different. I've heard stories of Vietcong getting lit up with an M60 and getting back up. There have been police reports of drugged up guys taking multiple .40 cals, .223's and shotgun slugs and still fighting.

pieeater
05-19-2010, 6:15 PM
I mostly "trophy" hunt so I rarely take a snap shot just cause im pretty picky on what I shoot. But i will take a good running shot if need be. And in my experiance some animals like pigs and bears just dont stand still.Nothing wrong with using a small caliber. Im just saying large caliber or small in the field your shot wont always be perfect.lol

+1. If your taking the shot because you see a glance of the creature....your doing the wrong thing.

Shot palcement is still key and I still hunt with smaller caliber. I always say, I've seen small 100lbs deers get shot with 7mm Rem and we cant track it because it ran to the next hunting zone.

Fjold
05-19-2010, 7:05 PM
Even if you don't take the occasional running shot, you have to be prepared and trained to do it.

Example: I was hunting gemsbok and had a nice bull walking at 150 yards between brush clumps and when I shot I hit a 1/2" branch about 10-12' before the bull. That deflected my 300 grain bullet about 6" and I hit the bull in front of the shoulder and just barely nicked the front of the right lung. The bull actually somersaulted over his head and then got up running. Because I had practiced on swinging steel plates I sent two more bullets after him with the first running shot at 175 yards going through his stomach and passing through his left lung and the last shot at 225 yards (still running) went right through his heart.

If I hadn't been practicing and ready for running shots we would have been in for a long tracking job and maybe lost this one:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/Africa/DSC00471.jpg

I took this guy at a dead run when he spooked at 80 yards.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/Africa/DSC00503.jpg

pieeater
05-19-2010, 7:19 PM
Beautiful animals! Kudu and gemsbok were high on my list when I went and I got neither. Oh well it gives me something to look forward too next trip.

jawbreaker
05-19-2010, 7:36 PM
Like it or not a well placed shot is key to a good clean kill no matter what caliber you use. I use a bow for all of my big game and you are kidding yourself if you think shot placement isn't important while archery hunting.

I do agree that people shouldn't use the term to justify useing small caliber weapons on big game.

C.W.M.V.
05-19-2010, 7:54 PM
If he was that jacked up on drugs using 7.62 wouldn't have been any different. I've heard stories of Vietcong getting lit up with an M60 and getting back up. There have been police reports of drugged up guys taking multiple .40 cals, .223's and shotgun slugs and still fighting.

? the difference is that when hes hit with 7.62 he goes down then gets up, with 5.56 there is no putting him down!

As far as shot placement I guess its different when your hunting and in combat (duh). For my former uses a heavier caliber (7.62) would have been much more effective.

Quick question...Why do you hunt? I'm not trying to be a dcik, but I just don't understand the hobby. What do you enjoy about it? What motivates you to do it? What is the reward? Again IM NOT TRYING TO SAY ANYTHING BAD ABOUT HUNTERS! Its as valid as any other hobby and i enjoy tasty animals as much as the next guy, I just don't understand it.

pieeater
05-19-2010, 7:55 PM
Im really not against using small caliber guns hell i use a 9mm to pig hunt sometimes. And i know about making a good shot etc. My rant is all the paper punchers that have never killed anything or taken a shot under stress keep talking about shot placement etc.

Like it or not a well placed shot is key to a good clean kill no matter what caliber you use. I use a bow for all of my big game and you are kidding yourself if you think shot placement isn't important while archery hunting.

I do agree that people shouldn't use the term to justify useing small caliber weapons on big game.

pieeater
05-19-2010, 8:05 PM
Hard to explain. But personaly I love animals love studying them watching them etc. Love the outdoors and guns too. Im very selective in what I shoot I might pass up hundreds of animals to get a nice one. Its like a big game of chess to me. And yes tasty food is a bonus

Quick question...Why do you hunt? I'm not trying to be a dcik, but I just don't understand the hobby. What do you enjoy about it? What motivates you to do it? What is the reward? Again IM NOT TRYING TO SAY ANYTHING BAD ABOUT HUNTERS! Its as valid as any other hobby and i enjoy tasty animals as much as the next guy, I just don't understand it.

jawbreaker
05-19-2010, 8:19 PM
Pie, I know exactly what you mean and just don't want people to think that shot placement isn't important.

c.w.m.v., We hunt because we can, the same reason you do the activities that you do.

tpuig
05-20-2010, 1:02 AM
If you don't already have it, I can recommend this book. Great info on the animals in Africa.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1890132446/ref=oss_product

I'm heading to Italy for a boar hunt in September, and then hopefully to Africa next year.

Hard to explain. But personaly I love animals love studying them watching them etc. Love the outdoors and guns too. Im very selective in what I shoot I might pass up hundreds of animals to get a nice one. Its like a big game of chess to me. And yes tasty food is a bonus

tpuig
05-20-2010, 1:06 AM
For some folks it's about the trophy on the wall, others just like the outdoors, and some like to fill the freezer. But once you're out there, it really gets you in tune with nature. Even if you use binoculars instead of a rifle, seeing the animals is pretty awesome.

Quick question...Why do you hunt? I'm not trying to be a dcik, but I just don't understand the hobby. What do you enjoy about it? What motivates you to do it? What is the reward? Again IM NOT TRYING TO SAY ANYTHING BAD ABOUT HUNTERS! Its as valid as any other hobby and i enjoy tasty animals as much as the next guy, I just don't understand it.[/QUOTE]

duckman1
05-20-2010, 7:34 AM
I had a similar experience with my Gemsbok. Had 4 of them beded and ostrich harassing me, I was sitting in a catafractus bush and he would straddle my gun barrel and walk behind me peck the leather patch on my bino strap and even plucked one of my digital ear plugs out. Thank god the gemsbok finally stood up....

lewdogg21
05-20-2010, 9:28 AM
Great post pie.

If you have "never missed" an animal that either you just started hunting or you lie. I 2nd the part about if you know it's a good animal do not look at the rack. The Bull Elk on my wall stopped at 16 yards broadside (with a tree branch blocking the pocket), then turned to face me and was staring right at me for the better part of 60 seconds. The entire time I tried to focus on the pocket and waited for him to turn broadside again. I mentally told myself to not look at his eyes nor his rack. I left the arrow go and he went 86 yards and fell over dead.

You guys and your africa pics and stories really get me going. I really want to hunt Africa with my Father before he gets too old or something happens to where he can't get around.

Shoot-it
05-20-2010, 9:32 PM
I like to practice off hand shot with my 7 rem mag I shoot into some plow steel the size of a pie plate at 120 yards that is how long my range is.Shooting sticks or a back pack on the ground .The back pack on the ground did goof me up on a hog hunt I could not see threw the tall grass.

Shot placement is still important .I know a guy that shot a buck 4 times to put it down with his 7 mag he blamed the copper ammo.When i looked at the picture the 3 body shot's were not even in the kill zone (behind shoulder heart lungs) .The last shot in the neck was the only one to put it down.