PDA

View Full Version : Wolf Gold ammo will damage your barrel ?

05-19-2010, 2:31 PM
One guy sent me a PM with an offer and states that my upper has lower value because I used Wolf Gold (Serbian PPU) ammo on the barrel. :confused:

Is it a FUD that Wolf Gold ammo, which has brass case, lead core, copper jacket, can damage or degrade your match barrel ?

Koolpsych
05-19-2010, 2:33 PM
Shooting bullets through any barrel will slowly damage the barrel but I have never heard anything about Wolf Gold ammo that says it does so faster.

PolishMike
05-19-2010, 2:35 PM
FUD. tell the guy to pound sand.

Noah3683
05-19-2010, 2:36 PM
He is a pinhead trying to rip you off. Tell him to eat it.... unless you want to take the offer that is. lol

Scratch705
05-19-2010, 2:37 PM
tell him to pound sand.

any firing of bullets down a barel will degrade it. wolf gold is made by Prvi Partizan, and they are decent ammo for the money.

madmike
05-19-2010, 2:39 PM
Let me guess, he graciously offered you a lower price, to take it off your hands... It's a negotiation tactic.

-madmike.

TZL
05-19-2010, 2:45 PM
FUD, wolf gold or not doesn't damage the barrel

J_Rock
05-19-2010, 2:51 PM
Wolf Gold is junk, you need to send all of it to me for proper disposal.

Gio
05-19-2010, 2:56 PM
Wolf Gold is junk, you need to send all of it to me for proper disposal.

You for got to mention that he would need to send that barrel/upper to you as well for free since it is useless.

Well at least it is a good laugh.

b.faust
05-19-2010, 3:07 PM

^^^

sand, he should pound it.

I've shot wolf gold plenty of times.
It's my preferred ammo for the PSL in fact.

(Also: Prvi Parisian is actually Wolf Gold in a different box)

CHS
05-19-2010, 3:08 PM
The guy is a slimeball trying to take advantage of you. He's full of BS.

OutlawDon
05-19-2010, 3:10 PM
Show him this thread. Then tell him to stop lowballing with BS facts.

bender152
05-19-2010, 3:29 PM
Post his name here.

Dr. Peter Venkman
05-19-2010, 3:35 PM
Post his name here.

DO IT

05-19-2010, 3:36 PM
I guess if I have another 5000 rounds of Wolf Gold to put down the barrel, then I'd agree that the barrel is really damaged by more than 5K rounds of Wolf Gold.

:rofl2:

I replied and ask what's the problem with Wolf Gold and so far, no reply.

His avatar proudly shows that he's member of the Central valley gun shows.

Arm yourself with knowledge before you head out to gun shows. I have dealt with quite a few professionals and honest folks at gun shows, but you never know that a few might have no interest in you but your wallet. :rolleyes:

Richie Caketown
05-19-2010, 3:38 PM
Wolf Gold is basically their high end ammo , which basically equates to regular brass. Even though it will get you some fouling and need cleaning , its still not as drastic as the dude made it out to be

L4D
05-19-2010, 3:39 PM
It would be nice to have anonymous PM thread where we could post ridiculous offers without outing them. Just so we could all see the kind crap that takes place when you have something to sell.

05-19-2010, 3:40 PM
Post his name here.

DO IT

I think we can give him another chance on this case. I hope that he reads this thread and takes it as a lesson.

Sicarius
05-19-2010, 3:42 PM
LOL. Not any worse than any other ammo damaging the barrel...
Kevin

rumblebee
05-19-2010, 3:42 PM
1988...I am sorry and I re-tract my $5.00 offer for your case of Wolf Gold.....How about $4.99 :D;)

stormy_clothing
05-19-2010, 3:46 PM
2 things here - some manufacturers prohibit wolf ammo in there warranty it makes no exception to type in at least the cases I've seen and some people don't know any better.

A friend of mine would tell you the same thing but that's only because all of his friends in law enforcement ect love to shoot there mouth off about it because they get heavy discounts on better ammo.

05-19-2010, 3:47 PM
Wolf Gold is basically their high end ammo , which basically equates to regular brass. Even though it will get you some fouling and need cleaning , its still not as drastic as the dude made it out to be

Actually, not all Wolf Gold ammo are the same. I found the 6.5 Grendel MPT ammo is as clean and consistent as other Prvi Partizan Match ammo. It's really good, almost as good as the Lapua Scenar, but a bit behind in precision.

However, the other Wolf Gold 6.5 Grendel Soft-Point is mediocre, inconsistent and has quite a bit of fouling.

05-19-2010, 3:58 PM
1988...I am sorry and I re-tract my $5.00 offer for your case of Wolf Gold.....How about $4.99 :D;)

If you stop bashing my Wolf ammo, I'll ship it free.... :rofl2:

IsaacGlass
05-19-2010, 4:01 PM
Post his name here.

^^^ :iagree:

rumblebee
05-19-2010, 4:35 PM
Deal!!! :D (in all seriousness....if your gun will eat Wolf....shoot it!) :)

If you stop bashing my Wolf ammo, I'll ship it free.... :rofl2:

stix213
05-19-2010, 4:36 PM
I am offering to get to the bottom of this for everyone. Please send me all your remaining Wolf Gold ammo, and I'll let you know how my barrel handles it :p

Jpach
05-19-2010, 4:50 PM
Ha, reminds me of the guy who offered me $400 below my asking price the other day for my upper.

Noah3683
05-19-2010, 5:21 PM
Ha, reminds me of the guy who offered me $400 below my asking price the other day for my upper.

Or the guy that offered me $300 for my like new xd45................... friendly discount simply because we lived in the same county. lol

05-19-2010, 5:24 PM
I am offering to get to the bottom of this for everyone. Please send me all your remaining Wolf Gold ammo, and I'll let you know how my barrel handles it :p

How about lending me your upper to test my Wolf ammo .... :D

Jpach
05-19-2010, 6:10 PM
Or the guy that offered me $300 for my like new xd45................... friendly discount simply because we lived in the same county. lol

LOL howbout I give you $200 for you to drive out here and pay the transfer fee too. Ill even let you throw in a couple boxes of ammo too.

Mail Clerk
05-19-2010, 7:13 PM
One guy sent me a PM with an offer and states that my upper has lower value because I used Wolf Gold (Serbian PPU) ammo on the barrel. :confused:

Is it a FUD that Wolf Gold ammo, which has brass case, lead core, copper jacket, can damage or degrade your match barrel ?

Wolf Gold is not bad ammo to shoot so don't worry. Just don't go over-board and overheat your barrel. Because it has a copper jacket you might have to use a solvent to handle that copper coating but nothing more. You'll find Wolf product is usually more accurate than you think.

Mail Clerk

igorts
05-19-2010, 7:26 PM
just today i read some feedback on Wolf Gold, most guys tried to use it as training but later start using in matches.. 75grn bullet (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=844748)

Cobrafreak
05-19-2010, 7:40 PM
:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

FMJBT
05-19-2010, 10:07 PM

Pound it hard and often. Sit back and reflect on what it was like to pound sand, then do it again to see if it still has that same gritty feeling as it did the first time. Repeat. ;)

J_Rock
05-19-2010, 11:39 PM

Wolf Gold is not bad ammo to shoot so don't worry. Just don't go over-board and overheat your barrel. Because it has a copper jacket you might have to use a solvent to handle that copper coating but nothing more. You'll find Wolf product is usually more accurate than you think.

Mail Clerk

OMG!!! Shooting bullets down your barrel heats it up and deposits copper in the bore!? Bullets are bad bad bad for your rifle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mail Clerk
05-20-2010, 5:48 AM
OMG!!! Shooting bullets down your barrel heats it up and deposits copper in the bore!? Bullets are bad bad bad for your rifle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

J_Rock,

OMG don't take my statement too far outta context!!!!!
Gee wiz.

Mail Clerk

greasemonkey
05-20-2010, 11:34 AM
The damage was in reference to the hand guard and your failed attempt to fix it; as for the ammo, I made a rookie mistake and missed that you said Wolf Gold. I am aware how nice of a round Gold is, I am aware it's not a steel case, I am aware it has a cleaner burn. It may do me some good to read a little slower.

That said, it's not like I completely low-balled you or asked you to throw in your sister/daughter or anything (my offer price was actually suggested to me by a CGF board member). Good to see you're willing to put this much effort into flaming someone for a mistake(albeit a stupid mistake) instead of simply double check to see what I meant or *GASP* try to be helpful.

Flame on.

It looks like you have no idea about Wolf Gold ammo.

BTW, I had a thread about your comments on Wolf Gold ammo at this THREAD (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=302903).

Please don't make assumption if you have no idea about what you're dealing with.

Thanks.

Just not a fan of the steel and dirty burn buildup, maybe it's not an issue. Good looking setup, though, I really like the VTAC guard.

What's wrong with Wolf ammo ?

Thanks.

Just an offer, since it's slightly damaged and has had all Wolf run through it, to me it'd be worth $650 shipped. I have Gpal and Paypal, cash in my account ready to go.

Fot
05-20-2010, 11:44 AM
:popcorn: And the plot thickens...

greasemonkey
05-20-2010, 11:51 AM
This is the damage I was talking about:

http://img693.imageshack.us/img693/1998/img6186d.th.jpg (http://img693.imageshack.us/i/img6186d.jpg/)

- The JP VTAC handguard has top rails and bipod stud installed. The handguard is fully functional with the exception of a busted screw on the bottom of the rail and some minor scuffing. One of the old hex screw was busted when I tried to remove the tube for cleaning, and I had to drill it out. I did not do a good job and the result is shown on one of the picture. The missing screw does not affect the integrity of the hanguard.

Rob454
05-20-2010, 12:23 PM
LOL where do people come up with these BS tactics?

maxwellca21
05-20-2010, 12:27 PM
DO IT

+1 do itttttt.

greasemonkey
05-20-2010, 12:51 PM
+1 do itttttt.

Sure doesn't seem like you read very much of this thread, which is ironic because this thread, in part, exists because I replied without realizing all of the details.

MILLITIAof1
05-20-2010, 12:57 PM
I personally think it was a fair offer.

Black Majik
05-20-2010, 1:05 PM

Understanding the miscommunication, I tend to agree.

05-20-2010, 1:11 PM
Post his name here.

DO IT

I think we can give him another chance on this case. I hope that he reads this thread and takes it as a lesson.

The damage was in reference to the hand guard and your failed attempt to fix it; as for the ammo, I made a rookie mistake and missed that you said Wolf Gold. I am aware how nice of a round Gold is, I am aware it's not a steel case, I am aware it has a cleaner burn. It may do me some good to read a little slower.

That said, it's not like I completely low-balled you or asked you to throw in your sister/daughter or anything (my offer price was actually suggested to me by a CGF board member). Good to see you're willing to put this much effort into flaming someone for a mistake(albeit a stupid mistake) instead of simply double check to see what I meant or *GASP* try to be helpful.

Flame on.

This is the damage I was talking about:

Sure doesn't seem like you read very much of this thread, which is ironic because this thread, in part, exists because I replied without realizing all of the details.

It looks like you showed your true color and admitting that you're pounding sand.

I thought that I wanted to protect your identity so that you won't make the same mistake again. I don't think you're aware your action and still you wanted to post the personal message on this thread.

You're a C3 leader, but you're not acting like one. Posting private information on the public forums is not allowed. I hope that you would remove all private information for the sake of it. If you can't take care of it. I can ask one of the Mod to help.

05-20-2010, 1:13 PM

Fair or not ?

If I no longer use the upper, I'd rather keep it for my Calguns buddies or hang it on the wall than give it to lowballers who tries to BS on the deal.

CHS
05-20-2010, 1:20 PM

Even normal Wolf ammo is perfectly fine for an AR upper and would not diminish the resale value nor cause any damage to the upper.

tuna quesadilla
05-20-2010, 1:22 PM
Fair or not ?

If I no longer use the upper, I'd rather keep it for my Calguns buddies or hang it on the wall than give it to lowballers who tries to BS on the deal.

It looks like you showed your true color and admitting that you're pounding sand.

I thought that I wanted to protect your identity so that you won't make the same mistake again. I don't think you're aware your action and still you wanted to post the personal message on this thread.

You're a C3 leader, but you're not acting like one. Posting private information on the public forums is not allowed. I hope that you would remove all private information for the sake of it. If you can't take care of it. I can ask one of the Mod to help.

To be fair, the damage on that upper looks bad. You really beat the crap out of that handguard. If you didn't like his offer, just say no... no need to be all dramatic and make a huge thread about it. :rolleyes: When I get lowballers I just ignore them, or tell them no.

05-20-2010, 1:27 PM
To be fair, the damage on that upper looks bad. You really beat the crap out of that handguard. If you didn't like his offer, just say no... no need to be all dramatic and make a huge thread about it. :rolleyes:

It's the FUD, not the value of the upper ....

I've seen so many worst low offers, but not from a C3 leader who uses such a tactic to influence a deal.

Would someone sell me an upper if I tell him/her that the upper is no good because the bullets melted the barrel ?

They'd probably tell me go pound sand and eat crap.

fonionrings
05-20-2010, 1:28 PM
Doesn't using Wolf (or steel cased) ammo in some specific uppers void the warranty? Again, this is only for specific manufacturers. That COULD diminish resale value, depending on your perspective.

05-20-2010, 1:30 PM
Doesn't using Wolf (or steel cased) ammo in some specific uppers void the warranty? Again, this is only for specific manufacturers. That COULD diminish resale value, depending on your perspective.

There are Wolf and Wolf Gold. Those are two different line of products.

fonionrings
05-20-2010, 1:32 PM
There are Wolf and Wolf Gold. Those are two different line of products.

Yes, I know. My post was in reference to what bdsmchs wrote.

Even normal Wolf ammo is perfectly fine for an AR upper and would not diminish the resale value nor cause any damage to the upper.

wildcard
05-20-2010, 1:35 PM
What is the OP still moaning about? At least greasemonkey admitted his mistake. After reading the actual conversation that took place.. OP sure looks like a butt. Exaggerated what greasemonkey said for dramatic effect!

Don't cry, bro. Lol.

05-20-2010, 1:40 PM
What is the OP still moaning about? At least greasemonkey admitted his mistake. After reading the actual conversation that took place.. OP sure looks like a butt. Exaggerated what greasemonkey said for dramatic effect!

Don't cry, bro. Lol.

I'd refuse to comment on personal statements.

PolishMike
05-20-2010, 1:58 PM
Wow, that handguard is ****ed and I like how you said nothing about it in the first post.

No wolf ammo is going to wear on the rifle faster but that handguard being damaged definitely brings down the value

05-20-2010, 2:03 PM
Wow, that handguard is ****ed and I like how you said nothing about it in the first post.

No wolf ammo is going to wear on the rifle faster but that handguard being damaged definitely brings down the value

This thread is nothing about the offer or the value of the upper. It's all about the FUD of Wolf Gold ammo.

Let's stay on the subject before another can of worm popped. ;)

norcal77
05-20-2010, 4:06 PM
Before Greasemonkey chimed I was thinking the same thing as him. He probably just saw the word Wolf and immediately thought steel case....

CHS
05-20-2010, 4:09 PM
Before Greasemonkey chimed I was thinking the same thing as him. He probably just saw the word Wolf and immediately thought steel case....

So? Why would anyone believe that steel cased Wolf ammo will cause any damage to an AR upper that would lead to a devaluation in price?

It's a battle rifle. If it can't handle steel-cased crap ammunition, then just throw it away because it's not a rifle worth keeping.

05-20-2010, 4:16 PM
So? Why would anyone believe that steel cased Wolf ammo will cause any damage to an AR upper that would lead to a devaluation in price?

It's a battle rifle. If it can't handle steel-cased crap ammunition, then just throw it away because it's not a rifle worth keeping.

+1

Even with steel jacket, the jacket is mild steel which is way softer than barrel steel.

The rule of thumb states that the harder would cut the softer, not the other way around.

greasemonkey
05-20-2010, 4:35 PM
1988 I'm really not sure where to go with this, I never tried to pressure you into anything, extort you, threaten you; I made a mistake and publicly admitted it when I didn't have to. You can find a million opinions on either side of the steel case issue, I guess it's not a big deal in AR's, some manufacturers void the warranty (not that I'm worried about warranty) for using steel, I've had "no steel in your Glock" permanently programmed into my mind. It is what it is, I made a simple offer, which was not unreasonable and somehow it got turned into how I'm intentionally spreading FUD and forcing you to accept my price...I'm a bit perplexed at your response.

05-20-2010, 4:51 PM
1988 I'm really not sure where to go with this, I never tried to pressure you into anything, extort you, threaten you; I made a mistake and publicly admitted it when I didn't have to. You can find a million opinions on either side of the steel case issue, I guess it's not a big deal in AR's, some manufacturers void the warranty (not that I'm worried about warranty) for using steel, I've had "no steel in your Glock" permanently programmed into my mind. It is what it is, I made a simple offer, which was not unreasonable and somehow it got turned into how I'm intentionally spreading FUD and forcing you to accept my price...I'm a bit perplexed at your response.

This thread was no way personal by any mean. I brought the subject to discuss about the FUD on Wolf ammo. I did even tried to protect your identity and did not disclose your alias when asked.

However, you brought it up to yourself by admitting to what you did and posted the PM thread which makes others think that the thread is about the offer and the value of the upper.

I can assume that you have no clue about ammo, but your statement on the PM clearly indicated that you put a lower value on the upper because I used Wolf ammo.

In theory, the steel jacket bullets can accelerate the wear on the barrel due to higher friction. However, there is no steel jacket bullet available for 6.5 Grendel.

For the sake of it, I don't believe in break-in a barrel, but if we use that term, 250 rounds is not even enough to break-in the barrel.

I'd walk right over this issue and put it to the past. It's up to you.

Jpach
05-20-2010, 5:16 PM
Why is everyone so upset?

It seems others cried "Low baller!" first and not the OP, and then Greasemonkey came and said it was a misunderstanding. This should be over with now.

Am I missing something as to why this is still going on?

My question is serious btw, because sometimes I miss things.

Noah3683
05-20-2010, 5:38 PM

Completely agree. Besides If you're worried about damage from steel case ammo then buy a quality BCG with a quality extractor or upgrade yours. If you already have a quality BCG and are crying about steel case, then you are just over paranoid. I see no point in spending extra if it isn't for a match or unless you are gonna be reloading it later. I run the cheapest tula crap i can find. Both my ar's gobble it up like a thanksgiving dinner and it is more than sufficiently accurate for the range.