PDA

View Full Version : Private Gun Transfer

kenc9
03-15-2006, 12:24 PM
Here is an article I found and I have heard this before so I was wondering what you guys think?

http://www.nraila.org/Issues/Articles/Read.aspx?ID=49

There Is No Gun Show Loophole

The claim that a quarter to half of the vendors at most gun shows are unlicensed dealers is true only if one counts vendors selling items other than guns (e.g., books, clothing, ammunition, knives, holsters and other accessories) as unlicensed dealers.

Federal law requires that any person "engaged in the business" of selling firearms possess a valid Federal Firearms License. This is true whether one is selling guns for a living at a gun store or at a gun show. Licensed dealers must conduct an NICS check prior to the transfer of any firearm--regardless of where that transfer occurs. The majority of sellers at gun shows are licensed dealers and do conduct checks.

Individuals who occasionally sell or trade guns from their personal collection need not be licensed nor are they required to conduct a NICS check prior to the sale--whether the sale occurs at a gun show, at their home or out of the trunk of their car. Congress never intended a person who wants to sell a spare hunting rifle to a friend, a father who wishes to give a .22 rifle to his son or a widow who wishes to dispose of her late husband`s firearms through an Internet auction or an ad in the local paper to undertake a NICS background check.

Thus, the same laws apply to gun shows as to all other gun transactions.

kenc9
03-15-2006, 12:30 PM
I found that Ca. has already banned all private sales so I guess this is only a fed law.

http://www.ncpa.org/pub/ba/ba349/

California has already banned all private gun sales, requiring that a licensed gun dealer handle them. There is also a fee for the background check, a two-week waiting period and the sale must be registered with the California Department of Justice.

ocabj
03-15-2006, 1:44 PM
California has already banned all private gun sales, requiring that a licensed gun dealer handle them. There is also a fee for the background check, a two-week waiting period and the sale must be registered with the California Department of Justice.

You forgot to state that this excludes any long guns 50 years old or older.

-hanko
03-15-2006, 3:58 PM
You forgot to state that this excludes any long guns 50 years old or older.
Took the words out of my mouth. No dealer involved for ppt's of rifles and shotguns made in 1956 or earlier.

-hanko

EOD Guy
03-16-2006, 8:29 AM
Took the words out of my mouth. No dealer involved for ppt's of rifles and shotguns made in 1956 or earlier.

-hanko

1955 or earlier, unless you can establish a specific date of manufacture in 1956 that is more than 50 years ago. That is difficult with many manufacturers. It can be hard to establish a year of manufacture with many makers.