PDA

View Full Version : Magpul PRS/ARS and CA law

bomb_on_bus
05-19-2010, 2:18 PM
If this is in the wrong thread then please move it.

Just wondering if a Magpul PRS/ARS stock constitutes as a collapsible stock per CA law.

And would having one on a featureless biuld still be featureless.

Just need some guidance on a new summer project.

Thanks ahead of time:D

Gio
05-19-2010, 2:21 PM
Here we go again :eek: There have been several debates over the use of the PRS on a Featureless Rifle. I'd be more incline to use a UBR and locking it somehow over the PRS. Take care and have fun with all the answers and comments made in this thread.

BONECUTTER
05-19-2010, 2:38 PM
Well the laws says:

Stock, collapsing - A stock which is shortened by allowing one section to telescope into another.

http://www.scopedin.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/reviews/ar15/magpul/prs2.jpg

If a DA was explaining it to a jury and showing how with the turn of a wheel the stock shortens and one section slide into the other.....doesn't look promising.

Kind of like blocking a CTR to only move between 2 notches....it still shortens...

My 2 cents

Of Course you could always find a way to lock it at whatever setting you want.

Sniper3142
05-19-2010, 3:10 PM
The PRS is an ADJUSTABLE stock, not a collapsable one.

Of course, some idiot DA could try to prove otherwise.

Josh3239
05-19-2010, 3:12 PM
The PRS isn't collapsible it is adjustable. The comb of the stock and butt plate can be adjusted, the stock itself does not collapse. It sits on a rifle length extention tube which doesn't allow collapsible stocks. That is my opinion atleast. This topic is debatable.

scubamark13
05-19-2010, 3:16 PM
I have a PRS on my featureless build and the way I read the law it is perfectly legal. But like others have said it is up to interpretation.

BONECUTTER
05-19-2010, 3:21 PM
This does bring up an interesting discussion.

If the law says "Stock, collapsing - A stock which is shortened by allowing one section to telescope into another."

The PRS can be debates cause it can meet that definition.

But......

A UBR does not. It slides along the bottom.

Thoughts???

Gio
05-19-2010, 3:29 PM
PRS has a Telescoping piece on it if you want to look at it that way. I am sure a DA would love to argue that point. I would consider the UBR to be a telescoping stock as well since it can move back and forth even the main piece of the stock does not move.

Nice thing about the UBR is that the cheek weld can moved and locked into place with the screws. So if you were to set it up to your desired spec than lock it in place you would be set.

Same goes for the PRS, set it up for how you like to shoot and lock it in place so that it cannot be considered a telescopic piece.

I have used a roll pin or even a wire when I first started with my CTR and then we moved on to roll pins for the ACS.

Featureless rifles are great even w/o 30 round mags, but I prefer the fit and feel of a PG nowadays.

BONECUTTER
05-19-2010, 3:46 PM
I would consider the UBR to be a telescoping stock as well since it can move back and forth even the main piece of the stock does not move.

I would consider the UBR to be a adjustable stock....but that does not mean it can't be used.

The law is ""Stock, collapsing - A stock which is shortened by allowing one section to telescope into another."

Does the UBR do this??? I Don't think so.

shadowofnight
05-19-2010, 4:12 PM
You know pretty soon we are going to need proximity sensors on our firearms that turn the receiver bright RED if we mount anything on it that even remotely turns it into an AW.

This grey area crap hanging on how a particular word is used in a law , and would be prosecuted by this particular DA ....or not even considered illegal at all by this particular DA is so inherently wrong it cant even be expessed by words I can type. .

Lets see, I cant use a Magpul AFG on my SocomII because it could possibly be considered illegal :rolleyes: It's a given that my monster sized mits could never get a thumb in that hole...but nobody of firearm purchasing age that I had try could get their thumb in it either and grasp it as a vertical grip ( Yes I saw the retarded pics of a hand grasping it like a so called vertical grip...please...)

Now , I was considering building a featureless 204 Ruger AR...but my favorite Magpul PRS stock could possibly be considered a collapsable stock :rolleyes:

We have to tremble wondering if some LEO with big paws could forcefully shove an 11th round of tiny small diameter 223 into their polymer ...read inherently flexible....10/30 magazines that were purchased as sealed with epoxy 10/30 mags :rolleyes:

No wonder people from other states laugh at us.......

killshot44
05-19-2010, 4:12 PM
The PRS is adjustable for user fit. It does not telescope in or out.

shadowofnight
05-19-2010, 4:21 PM
It sits on a rifle length extention tube which doesn't allow collapsible stocks.

That is the key I believe as well , you cant physically go any shorter than the full length rifle tube...you can only go longer.

bomb_on_bus
05-19-2010, 9:45 PM
would b.wiese or hoffman, or any of the other cal gun legal guys care to chime in. As I understand it the stock is adjustable not collapsible.

bomb_on_bus
05-20-2010, 9:38 AM
After reading penal code 12276 over and over the only thing that I could see about the stocks regards telescoping and folding stocks. This stock doesn't fit the criteria per penal code 12276 as nothing is folding or telescoping as the PRS/ARS stock is fixed and locked in place to the buffer tube assembly with a hex head bolt at the end of the stock.

The stock does feature an adjustable butt plate and cheek piece but these do not cause the stock to telescope or fold in on its self.

KAC uses a A2 styled rifle stock on their KAC m-110 .308 models that have an adjustable butt plate on the stocks in a much similar fashion to the Magpul PRS/ARS design.

Both designs IMO would be legit per CA law.

Although there might be some obscure law that has been since passed that I am not aware of, so any extra help would be much appreciated!