PDA

View Full Version : MSAR STG-556 - any good?

Hyper
05-19-2010, 10:07 AM
Thinking of buying one... IYO - MSAR STG-556 in terms of: reliability, accuracy etc. ?

Josh3239
05-19-2010, 12:40 PM
Many threads on this, you should search.

Yes I have one of the very early ones, it is a great rifle. With the right load and shooter it can be very accurate. Some of the early MSARs (not mine) did have some problems, after the recall on those rifles and the generation updates done to the newer rifles those or any problems have not resurfaced. I've had mine for several years and never encountered a malfunction with it. The platform has been reliable enough to be run through some carbine courses in very limited numbers. Pete Athens who is considered the bull pup genius helped build this thing, it is truly an upgrade from the earlier Steyrs (don't know to much about the A3). Customer service is amazing and they are planning on releasing a lot of new things for the platform. Someone (I don't think MSAR) just released a rail system for the MSAR line, it's a tri-rail that replaces the folding forward pistol grip if your into that sort of thing.

Just want to add the current STG-556 is a Gen 4 and takes MSAR and Steyr mags. The Raddlock is easily removed and replaced with the factory catch should you move or go out of state.

The E4 is a completely different model than the STG-556. The primary difference being that it accepts AR mags. The trade off is the raddlock is not easily removable and from my understanding from talking with Radd was that it would have to be sent to MSAR or Ratworx for removal. I am unsure if you can buy the tool to remove it.

ang3c0
05-19-2010, 12:54 PM
Yes they're great.

Try to get a Gen 4 STG, then for $200 you can by an E4 stock and use AR mags.

Manic Moran
05-19-2010, 1:21 PM
The E4 is a completely different model than the STG-556. The primary difference being that it accepts AR mags. The trade off is the raddlock is not easily removable and from my understanding from talking with Radd was that it would have to be sent to MSAR or Ratworx for removal. I am unsure if you can buy the tool to remove it.

I need to grab hold of an E4 and look at it. It takes five minutes with a hexkey to get my AXR from CA-legal to normal.

[Edit... Looking around, am I correct in saying that the problem is the screw which goes through the stock and is the fulcrum for the mag release? If the dealer's going to remove the screw to install the Raddlock to begin with, why not simply replace it with a 'user-friendly' screw which the final owner can use?]

NTM

Josh3239
05-19-2010, 3:17 PM
PM Radd, I have deleted the message he sent me but I don't believe the problem is the screw that holds the assembly together. It is the locking mechanism itself.

Manic Moran
05-19-2010, 4:32 PM
OK, they must have done something completely different to the standard 'NATO' AUG stock, then.

NTM

gunRfun
05-19-2010, 8:15 PM
My STG 556 is probaly my
favorite rifle in my collection. You only live this life once and I suggest trying one for yourself. Get one!!

Toolbox X
05-19-2010, 10:07 PM
I have an E4. The main problem is the screw itself. The head of the screw is custom made for Microtech. They use these types of screws for their knives to keep people from taking them apart.

Also, Radd modifies the actual factory mag release button. You need a whole new button/lever/thing if you want to convert the rifle back to standard.

thmpr
05-19-2010, 10:19 PM
Thinking of getting one myself at a later time. Not on my must have wish list.

cntrolsguy
05-19-2010, 10:21 PM
Quality wise it is actually very well built. I was really surprised how nice and sturdy it actually was. It is one of my favorites in my collection right next to my SCAR and Socom16.

tonelar
05-20-2010, 11:44 AM
and it's waaaay affordable right now.

CDNN has a couple of them for under $1K and $5.99 if you buy it before Saturday

CLIPPED FROM THE EMAIL:

CDNN Sports, Inc.
REPEAT OF A SELL OUT!

$5.99 SHIPPING FOR YOUR ENTIRE ORDER
WHEN YOU BUY ANY ITEM ON THIS LIST!

CALL 800-588-9500 TO ORDER TODAY!
offers expire saturday may 22nd @ 2pm cst.

MSAR
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MicroTec STG-556 223 16" Barrel Black 9" Optic Rail
1-10rd Mag New
#MSAR2001RRH16 $999.99

MicroTec STG-556 223 16" Barrel OD Green 1.5x Optic
1-10rd Mag New
#MSAR2003RH16 $1099.99

MicroTec STG-556 223 16" Barrel OD Green 9" Optic Rail
1-10rd Mag New
#MSAR2003RRH16 $999.99