View Full Version : more FBI troubles for Don Perata (3/15 SF Chronicle)

03-15-2006, 9:16 AM
More troubles for our beloved Don.

I don't think he can shoot his way out of this one with his CCW :)

With Perata on the ropes and a couple of other antigunners terming out (I think) we may be in a more favorable position in the future.

Of course, desperate pols could always pull more gun control out of their hat to distract public from their troubles, but it seems that trouble has been following Perata around for some time now...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

FBI jumpstarts Perata probe
Phillip Matier & Andrew Ross
San Francisco Chronicle
Wednesday March 15, 2006

Theeeeey're back! After months of relative quiet, the Justice Department has kicked its influence-peddling investigation of state Senate leader Don Perata into gear again, with FBI agents interviewing members of the Oakland City Council over the past couple of days.

The interviews, conducted at council members' offices, appear to center on whether Perata, D-Oakland, was leaning on council members to vote in ways that would indirectly help his friends and relatives.

"Basically, they wanted to know what kind of influence Don had on votes," said Councilman Larry Reid, who was interviewed by the FBI on Monday.

Reid said the FBI was also interested in any contact he and other council members had with others in Perata's orbit, including:

-- Former Perata college friend and business associate Timothy Staples.

-- One-time Perata aide-turned-lobbyist Lily Hu.

-- And Perata's son Nick Perata, a political consultant.

Reid said agents had also shown him a list of Hu's clients and asked if he knew any of them.

"They seemed interested in the contracts that some members of the African American community feel they were locked out of," Reid said.

Councilwoman Nancy Nadel also got a visit from the feds Monday.

"They asked me if I knew about any corruption that Sen. Perata might have been involved in," Nadel said. She said she didn't.

"They also asked me if Lily Hu had lobbied me on certain contracts," Nadel said.

"They also asked me if I had ever taken any money for a vote," Nadel said. She said she hadn't taken a dime.

As he's risen from county supervisor to state assemblyman to Senate president pro tem, Perata has built one of the most effective political machines in the state.

That machine helps not only fellow Democratic politicians at election time, but also cities, school districts and transportation agencies seeking voter approval for bond issues.

In some cases, money for those races has paid for hiring Perata family members and friends as campaign workers and consultants.

The feds have been looking into Perata's business and political connections for more than a year, with the emphasis apparently on three questions:

-- Did Perata encourage companies and interests doing business with state and local governments to hire his friend Staples as a lobbyist, then later get money back from Staples?

-- Did Perata receive money from lobbyist Hu in return for helping Hu's projects before the Oakland City Council?

-- And did Perata's son, Nick, receive contracts from state and local agencies during bond campaigns, then later funnel part of the money back to Perata through rent and other payments?

Perata spokesman Jason Kinney said the latest round of FBI interviews did not come as a surprise.

"We've said all along that this investigation is a mile wide and a half an inch thick," Kinney said. "By the end, I wouldn't be surprised if they dig up and interview Elvis.

"But in the end, it is our hope and expectation that it will be shown that the senator acted appropriately," Kinney said.

A representative of the U.S. attorney's office in San Francisco declined to comment.

State records show that Perata has raised and spent $742,000 on lawyers to defend himself from possible indictment.

The investigation slowed noticeably after Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger appointed the assistant U.S. attorney overseeing the case, Charles "Ben" Burch, to a judgeship in Contra Costa County last April.

"In the past few weeks, there has been a sense that they have been revving it back up again -- talking to a low-level person here and there," said an attorney representing one of the targets of the probe, who asked not to be named because the investigation is continuing.

The attorney wasn't sure what to make of the council interviews. But he said they definitely constitute "a high-profile move."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

03-15-2006, 10:32 AM
good, couldn't happen to a nicer guy

03-15-2006, 11:42 AM
good, couldn't happen to a nicer guy

+1, gun grabber has his mind elsewhere Im sure.:D

03-15-2006, 12:54 PM
What a "bendejo" :D

"Nelson voice" Ha ha! :p

03-15-2006, 1:10 PM
I prefer to think of him as a kusou atama, personally... :)

03-15-2006, 1:21 PM
May he be found guilty and locked up for a very long time with a very big and sex-deprived inmate.

03-15-2006, 2:34 PM
May he be found guilty and locked up for a very long time with a very big and sex-deprived inmate.

Rosie O'Donnell, maybe? :D

03-15-2006, 5:45 PM
I think I just saw a commercial for "Perata for Gov.".....:eek:

03-15-2006, 5:49 PM
Rosie O'Donnell, maybe? :D

03-16-2006, 7:51 AM
F 'em! He's been a thorn in our collective sides for too long!

03-16-2006, 4:06 PM
Perata = douchebag

Have I mentioned lately how much I totally HATE politicians?

One of the most worthless forms of life on the planet. :mad:

03-16-2006, 7:36 PM
One of the most worthless forms of life on the planet. :mad:

You're wrong. They are THE most worhtless form of life on the planet.

03-16-2006, 9:37 PM
Ha! I can't stand politicians either, but that is due to the culture of corruption that seems to follow them. However, I can "tolerate" SOME of them. I have to ask all the people that really hate politicians, would you do away with them entirely? What government system would you rather have in order to get rid of the legislative and executive branch? I believe we would then be a judicial oligarchy, not a good idea. Therefore, politicians are not worthless.

However, they should fear and serve US. :D

It's the same for the people that hate lawyers. Say you hate them all you want, but if you are facing prison...they are the first person you go to.

03-17-2006, 11:01 AM
You're wrong. They are THE most worthless form of life on the planet.

Well, I also tend to think that lawyers and lobbyists are fairly worthless too.

It's my opinion that lawyers, politicians and lobbyists are part of the reason the US is as screwed up as it is today.

They all claim to be looking out for the best interests of "the little guy". Granted, not all of them are bad (as I grit my teeth while saying that.....).

If you look at all the pork that gets run through our government (both Federal and State), the majority of it is pushed by the lobbyists and approved by the politicians.

Our laws are so convoluted and confusing because of...... you guessed it..... lobbyists, politicians and lawyers.

I have a theory that all three of these species are actually one and the same, just at different growth stages. Lawyers turn into politicians who turn into lobbyists....... Just a theory. :D