PDA

View Full Version : Semi-Auto .50 BMG registration question

shopkeep
03-14-2006, 9:46 PM
OK here's something that just crossed my mind:

Will semi-auto .50 BMG rifles be permitted to have evil features?

swhatb
03-14-2006, 10:19 PM

yes, according to doj over the phone. said they would respond in writing. haven't seen that yet--been 3-weeks now--maybe they said oh sh*t. we forgot about this one guys :eek: thought about that as well. btw, my .50 bmg reg. paperwork got back says nothing that it cannot...

artherd
03-14-2006, 10:28 PM

Absolutely NOT :( (Barrett M82-A1CAL owner here. It's magazine is hinged, so it is considered a fixed magazine.)

xenophobe
03-14-2006, 10:33 PM
Barrett even stated once they become registered, they will convert their M82A1s rifles to be detachable magazine, and even have a specific price in mind...

artherd
03-14-2006, 10:34 PM
yes, according to doj over the phone. said they would respond in writing. haven't seen that yet--been 3-weeks now--maybe they said oh sh*t. we forgot about this one guys :eek: thought about that as well. btw, my .50 bmg reg. paperwork got back says nothing that it cannot...

Sigh, more DOJ lies over the phone. REGISTERED .50BMGs are still subject to (and not exempt from) all AW laws. We'll have to keep our hinged mags.

xenophobe
03-14-2006, 10:36 PM
I'll concur... the DOJ has said that once they're registerd, features won't matter. What actually happens is as good a guess as any...

artherd
03-14-2006, 10:39 PM
Barrett even stated once they become registered, they will convert their M82A1s rifles to be detachable magazine, and even have a specific price in mind...
I think you are thinking about how the M82-A1CALs can actually be 'converted' to detachable mag status by simply grinding off the hinge when you move to a free state or get SB23 overturned. No extra cost per-se (other than a grinder.) but, under current law not legal.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/50bmgfaqs.htm#9
Can assault weapon characteristics, such as a pistol grip, be placed on a registered semi-auto centerfire .50 BMG rifle that has a detachable magazine?

No. The law provides that a .50 BMG rifle cannot be an assault weapon nor a machine gun. Therefore, while a .50 BMG rifle already registered as an assault weapon meets the requirements for .50 BMG rifle registration, a .50 BMG rifle registration alone does not meet the assault weapon registration requirements.

artherd
03-14-2006, 10:41 PM
I'll concur... the DOJ has said that once they're registerd, features won't matter. What actually happens is as good a guess as any...

Total lie under current (and very clear) law. Was this over the phone or in wirting?

xenophobe
03-14-2006, 10:43 PM
I don't remember. I do remember there was a letter or memo, I think it was from Barrett... I'll have to look around the shop when I'm there tomorrow.

xenophobe
03-14-2006, 10:49 PM
Oh, on another note though, your AW Registration Confirmation letter does not differenciate between RR89 and SB23 firearms. If not in place, they may not reflect .50BMG ban date registration, and if they are indeed listed under your current AW Registration number, then it might not matter. Police will only call to check if your Barrett is registered, not when it was registered by.

Implementing 'date association' with registration might be something they're working on in their AW database, and might be a significant reason, or one of the many reasons why they haven't listed anything yet...

Edit:
Also, has anyone asked the DOJ if they're implementing .50 BMG registration seperately or just considering them Assault Weapons by internal policy? Regardless of how the law is actually written, if they're just considering these as add ons to your existing AWs, they may not care or even know when your .50 Barrett was even registered without looking at your physical AW Registration Card...

restless
03-14-2006, 10:55 PM
IIRC, the .50BMG registration is completely separate from AW registration (take note of the title on the registration card). A .50BMG cannot be made into an AW, but a registered AW can be made into a .50BMG without registering the AW as a .50BMG.

xenophobe
03-14-2006, 10:58 PM
Well, of course the card says .50 BMG, because that's all you can register with them... I have yet to hear of anyone receiving their paperwork back to confirm/deny that they receive a seperate registration confirmation, or a confirmation listing all of your registered firearms.

restless
03-14-2006, 11:21 PM
I got my paperwork from DOJ last week and my .50BMG is listed on a separate sheet from my AW's. DOJ wanted to confirm all of my registered weapons.

xenophobe
03-14-2006, 11:25 PM
Oh, those sneaky bastards.... Oh well... so much for my theory. lol

So they did send you a new copy of your reg'd AWs as well?

restless
03-14-2006, 11:36 PM

I was hoping what you were hoping too.

Yes. I moved since I registered my AW's.

EBWhite
03-14-2006, 11:40 PM
this regisration is a joke. Sending mine in tomorrow. My hands always have cuts on them and my fringerprint turned out decent, i hope they accept it

Choptop
03-15-2006, 5:01 AM

Yes they did. I got one sheet for me .50 and another one with all my AW's listed. It set me back for a second... sort of a "we know you have these" kinda thing.

Funny, cuz the ONLY reason I have them in the first place is cuz they got banned (figured if the govt. didnt want me to have them, they must be good :D ).

Took them all out the next day and went shooting. Mucho Funo. Thank you DOJ.

artherd
03-15-2006, 10:49 PM
Oh, on another note though, your AW Registration Confirmation letter does not differenciate between RR89 and SB23 firearms. If not in place, they may not reflect .50BMG ban date registration, and if they are indeed listed under your current AW Registration number, then it might not matter. Police will only call to check if your Barrett is registered, not when it was registered by.

Are you SURE about this?

Even if true, this would be like voilating the NFA in 1935. Not really 'enforced', it was just a minor law that most cops didn't even know about, but still quite illegal.

And it won't help me when say DOJ raids my house :D

Hunter
03-21-2006, 6:23 PM

NO.
Reason:It is NOT being registered as an AW. It is being registered as a ".50BMG Rifle" which is a banned catagory all by itself. It has nothing to due with the AWs. Therefore you cannot convert it into a AW before or after it is registered as a ".50BMG Rifle" per DOJ definition.