PDA

View Full Version : Any reliability issues using Glock 17 Mags in a Glock 19?

tacticalcity
05-18-2010, 4:20 PM
I have always been told Glock 17 mags will work just fine in a Glock 19. Other than some range plinking I've never really tried it. Are there any reliability issues like failure to feed or failure to seat issues that will pop-up if I do this in a practical enviorment where there are lots of quick magazine changes and reliability is critical?

ChrisO
05-18-2010, 4:26 PM
Same mags 19 mags are just shorter you can do the same with the glock 26 and glock 17 mags or 19 mags.

himurax13
05-18-2010, 4:33 PM
There should not be any issues other than the mag will stick out further than the grip was originally designed for. The 17 mags should work in the 19, 26, and 34 with no problems (or any .40 S&W/.357 Sig Glocks with a 9mm conversion barrel). In fact using a 19 or 26 is great as a backup since they do use the 17/34 mags.

buffybuster
05-18-2010, 4:36 PM
The only major issue you run the risk of is over-inserting the mag during a speed reload. Since the grip is not there as a stop, if you speed reload in slide-lock, you could push the mag too far into the well. If that occurs you won't be able drop the slide and the mag will have to be pulled out.

glockmeister
05-18-2010, 5:18 PM
i was able to find three used 10 round glock 17 mags for dirt cheap. i use these on a glock 19 for idpa/ipsc and have never experienced any problems with them.

tacticalcity
05-18-2010, 5:37 PM
Thanks for the info.

tuna quesadilla
05-18-2010, 10:13 PM
The only major issue you run the risk of is over-inserting the mag during a speed reload. Since the grip is not there as a stop, if you speed reload in slide-lock, you could push the mag too far into the well. If that occurs you won't be able drop the slide and the mag will have to be pulled out.

Have you personally seen/documented this? With all due respect, I think you're wrong. I've never experienced, seen, or even heard of an overinsertion issue with Glocks. They're engineered not to overinsert -- that's what the little shelf on the left side of your magazine is for. Overinsertion can be a problem with 1911s and other older designs, but not something as well-engineered as a Glock.

cineski
05-18-2010, 10:27 PM
This isn't true. At all.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
05-18-2010, 10:53 PM
The only issue that I've seen is that in some cases, the shooter's little finger rests on the front of the magazine base plate and applies pressure. On rare occasions, I've seen that induce an FTF. I've never seen a magazine over-inserted, I don't think you can do that.

oogabooga
05-19-2010, 1:41 AM
If you want to prevent any of the possible "over insertion" or "pinky pushing on the mag" issues, get yourself one of these ;)

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=4215047

ETA:
A&G Grip Extenders are high impact polymer collars which slip over full size Glock magazines. When full sized Glock magazines are used with mini Glocks the A&G Grip Extension fills the gap between the bottom of the gun and the base of the magazine. This useful addition helps eliminate flinching and increases comfort and accuracy giving the shooter the grip and feel of its larger counterpart. Easily installed or removed, they work equally well with any full sized magazine, 10 round or Hi-Capacity. This product will allow you to use a G17, G22 or G31 magazine in a G19, G23 or G32 pistol, it also works on a 37 magazine to fit a 39 pistol.

Greg-Dawg
05-19-2010, 3:53 AM
If it says "Glock" on it, no issues.

DaveFJ80
05-19-2010, 10:23 AM
If you want to prevent any of the possible "over insertion" or "pinky pushing on the mag" issues, get yourself one of these ;)

I have a few A&G sleeves on some pre-ban G17 mags, using them on my Glock 19 (with a +2 Glock ext for a total of 19 rounds :D). The nice thing about them is it'll make the grip feel just like a Glock 17, so shooting the 19 feels good with the longer grip. The bad thing about the sleeve is if you're not watching out for it when loading the mag, you can easily pinch your palm between the sleeve and mag well. And the only other negative thing is they're bulky if you carry them in a mag pouch/holder on your belt.

Here's the only picture I have... a crappy one, but you get the idea of how it looks.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e51/mugenef8/Maverick/1.jpg

tacticalcity
05-19-2010, 12:02 PM
Do the move and slip down the magazine when not inserted into the gun or do they stay fixed in place really well?

Because one of my supplier stocks these. So I get them dirt, dirt cheap.

MossbergMan
05-19-2010, 2:56 PM
I have personally had failures to feed .40SW Federal hollow points when using my G-22 mags in my G-27. Seems the longer magazine tilts without the grip surrounding it and causes a FTF. It was intermittent, but unreliable enough for me not to rely on it for a reload. I haven't had any problems with my G-23 magazines in the 27.

professorhard
05-19-2010, 3:04 PM
I have used G17/18/19 mags in my G26 without any failures. I have also used G17/18 mags in my G19 without failure. I would say they're good to go.

tuna quesadilla
05-19-2010, 3:40 PM
I have personally had failures to feed .40SW Federal hollow points when using my G-22 mags in my G-27. Seems the longer magazine tilts without the grip surrounding it and causes a FTF. It was intermittent, but unreliable enough for me not to rely on it for a reload. I haven't had any problems with my G-23 magazines in the 27.

That's because you were unknowingly putting pressure on the magazine and causing it to tilt. That is a known issue. Using fullsize mags in the subcompact Glocks requires you to pay close attention to your grip so that doesn't happen.

tacticalcity
05-19-2010, 4:06 PM
That could be a reliability problem in itself. It is easy to see how understress you would do that.

Range shooting, and realistic shooting...two very different things. I try to train, and plan, as if it could be real.

After 8 hours of training (during a course), fatigue sets in, and I can imagine myself putting pressure on the magazine without realizing I am doing it. The grip on the 19 is just big enough for my hand. When drawing and firing under realistic conditions, there is no time to gently readjust your grip and take your time. If your grip is off, you roll with it.

DaveFJ80
05-19-2010, 8:52 PM
Do the move and slip down the magazine when not inserted into the gun or do they stay fixed in place really well?

I assume that you're asking if the A&G G17/G19 sleeve just slips on or if it stays in a fixed position. There's a small allen screw that you tighten down, and it holds the spacer in place on the mag so it won't move. I've done tactical reloads in a class and shot with them through a course (in a class, not competition) and they stay in place and don't move. It makes grabbing them out of my mag holder easier, but just becareful not to pinch your hand when slamming it into your mag well.

I haven't tried other brand mag spacer sleeves, so I can't say if those also have a nut that holds them in place, or how well they fit and fill the space on the mag.

professorhard
05-19-2010, 9:08 PM
That could be a reliability problem in itself. It is easy to see how understress you would do that.

Range shooting, and realistic shooting...two very different things. I try to train, and plan, as if it could be real.

After 8 hours of training (during a course), fatigue sets in, and I can imagine myself putting pressure on the magazine without realizing I am doing it. The grip on the 19 is just big enough for my hand. When drawing and firing under realistic conditions, there is no time to gently readjust your grip and take your time. If your grip is off, you roll with it.

So get a GEN4 G17 RTF2

tacticalcity
05-19-2010, 9:45 PM
So get a GEN4 G17 RTF2

Would love to. Doubt I'll have one before the next course I plan on taking next month.

tacticalcity
05-19-2010, 9:46 PM
I assume that you're asking if the A&G G17/G19 sleeve just slips on or if it stays in a fixed position. There's a small allen screw that you tighten down, and it holds the spacer in place on the mag so it won't move. I've done tactical reloads in a class and shot with them through a course (in a class, not competition) and they stay in place and don't move. It makes grabbing them out of my mag holder easier, but just becareful not to pinch your hand when slamming it into your mag well.

I haven't tried other brand mag spacer sleeves, so I can't say if those also have a nut that holds them in place, or how well they fit and fill the space on the mag.

That was exactly the information I was looking for.

Pinched my hand a few times even with the standard size mags during a course. Murphy is alive and well.