PDA

View Full Version : Living in a school zone

reidnez
05-18-2010, 4:10 PM
Hey all, my girlfriend and I are about to move to a new house which is directly behind an elementary school. I know there are some specific laws to transporting or possessing weapons in a school zone, but I'm not sure how (or if) they will affect me at the new place. A couple of questions:

1) Will I have to keep my weapons under lock and key? I do this anyway when I'm not home, but I'm in the habit of having a pistol at the ready when I am at home--there are no kids or idiots in my house so I feel comfortable doing this. Would I somehow be breaking the law by keeping a pistol on my nightstand?

2) When transporting weapons to the range, I normally just stow them in the trunk, unloaded of course, but do not lock them. Is this still OK in a school zone or do they have to be in locked cases?

Thanks in advance. I don't walk around my yard brandishing a weapon so I very much doubt anything would ever come up, but I just want to be sure.

Cobrafreak
05-18-2010, 4:32 PM
If you post this in the law and politics section you will get many answers. Personally I don't know.

Hoologan
05-18-2010, 5:09 PM
You can do what you wish inside your home, but when you transport they must be unloaded in a locked container.

Calguns Wiki (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Gun_Free_School_Zones)

reidnez
05-18-2010, 8:13 PM
Re-posted in the proper forum and got a solid answer: residences are specifically exempted, and a trunk is still considered a locked container as in other cases, so I have no need to worry. Thanks guys.

Oldbud
05-18-2010, 9:26 PM
Re-posted in the proper forum and got a solid answer: residences are specifically exempted, and a trunk is still considered a locked container as in other cases, so I have no need to worry. Thanks guys.If you are parked in your closed attached garage before you remove your weapons from your trunk, you likely have no need to worry.

Withing your residence is private, but outside on your driveway likely is not. Moving your weapons to your house from your vehicle's trunk while outside, would require locked containers in many cases if you are in the 'school zone'.