PDA

View Full Version : San Bernardino County Shooting Map

5shot
05-18-2010, 3:30 PM
We should have the updated official San Bernardino County Shooting Map available towards the end of July. At our commission meeting today we were informed that our "County Counsel" (county lawyers) have finished the legal descriptions of the shooting areas, and the map is scheduled for approving vote by the Board of Supervisors at their June 15th meeting. They may approve it then, or put it off until the following week, since their working on budget matters.
Once the map/shooting ordnance is approved by the board, there is a 30 day period before it becomes law. Once the 30 days is over, we will have the map available online to be printed out free, or you may purchase one for $9.95 from Bass Pro Shop in Rancho Cucamonga.

Prospector
05-18-2010, 4:12 PM
Sweet

imtheomegaman
05-18-2010, 4:13 PM
Thank you for sharing John, look forward to seeing it posted.

Mac
05-18-2010, 5:28 PM
Very Nice.

spectr17
05-18-2010, 5:44 PM
I talked with the IT guy for SB Co at the commission meeting today and he's gonna check to see if the online version of the shooting map will work with Smartphones (iPhone, Crackberry etc). If not it would be the cat's pajamas to get the map interfaced to work with Smartphones. No lost or forgotten maps, just blip onto the SB F&G site and interact with the map while in the field. I've seen a demo of Netcomp's shooting map on a Crackberry and it was the shizzle.

The new county map will not be waterproof unfortunately and will be a folder version about the same size as the old SB shooting map.

HokeySon
05-18-2010, 9:43 PM
"County Council" (county lawyers)

FYI:

County Counsel = the lawyers employed to give advice to the county government.

County Council = the committee of people that governs the county.

Looking forward to the map. that will be very nice indeed.

5shot
05-18-2010, 10:13 PM
FYI:

County Counsel = the lawyers employed to give advice to the county government.

County Council = the committee of people that governs the county.

Looking forward to the map. that will be very nice indeed.

Opps, need to double check my spelling, your right.

But in Calif. "the committee of people that governs the county" is a "Board of Supervisors".
Cities and towns have "Councils"

guayuque
05-18-2010, 10:28 PM
Nice work John, and thanks. Looking forward to see it done.

professionalcoyotehunter
05-19-2010, 9:01 AM
Another great way to waste money.:D

5shot
07-07-2010, 2:51 PM
The B.O.S. did not get to vote on the new shooting ordnance on June 15th, since budget items took up the whole day. It has been rescheduled for a vote on July 27th. If it is passed then, the 30 day wait until it becomes law will be over at the end of day, August 25th.
Then as I posted before, the map will be available free on our new website that be launched at that time. This will be the only place the map will be available untill BassPro's printer finishes the hard copies. Then hard copies of the map can be purchased from BassPro for $9.95.
The map will always be available free in a printable form from our website.

Other then boundary changes for new cities and the MNP (Mojave Natl. Preserve), there really isn't very much new in the updated ordnance. Just about everything north of Barstow and Kramer Junction remains the same, other then the MNP. And most of the Natl Forest remains the same.

If anyone has any questions about a shooting area in San Bernardino County, feel free to PM me here. I have all the current and new proposed maps and ordnance's.

turbogg
07-07-2010, 8:25 PM
Thanks John for keeping us up to date! It is appreciated.

spectr17
07-23-2010, 11:34 PM
At the July 20th meeting of the San Bernardino County Fish & Game Commission meeting the new county shooting ordinance and map was discussed again. From what was mentioned the ordinance SHOULD go before the Board of Supervisors on July 27th for a vote. If approved there is a second reading on August 10th and then 30 days later the ordinance is law. The new ballpark date for the new shooting map ordinance is Sept 9th. This all tentative as usual. I've got the video from the commission meeting rendering right now and will post it as soon as it's done.

5shot
07-27-2010, 3:57 PM
The S.B. Co. Board of Supervisors approved the firearms/shooting ordnance today. There will be a second reading of the ordnance on August 10th, and then 30 days later the new ordinance is law. At that time the map will be in a printable version on our website, and a paper copy available for purchase at the Rancho Cucamonga Bass Pro Shop.
As soon as the website is up, I'll post the web address here. There is no web address yet, since it will be a new S.B. Co. F&G Commission website.

cpt_majestic
07-27-2010, 4:01 PM
Thanks for the update

ke6guj
07-27-2010, 4:49 PM
sweet.

Lex
07-27-2010, 5:42 PM
Cant wait to download the map...

guayuque
07-27-2010, 10:11 PM
John, thanks a million. I know how hard you have worked on this.

5shot
08-12-2010, 9:55 AM
Well, the map (shooting ordnance) went thru the 2nd reading (final approval) by the Board of Supervisors yesterday without any outside challenges. So it's officially approved, and will take effect on Sept 9th.
BassPro is already having the maps printed and should be available for sale on the 9th. They should also be available online in a printable form about the same time. I'll post the S.B. Co. web address as soon as I have that information.
The official paper form of these maps will be sold by BassPro for $9.95. We are exploring the idea of having other vendors distribute the official map, and they will also be required to sell it for $9.95. So be cautious of anyone trying to sell S.B. Co. shooting maps for a higher price.

jaymz
08-12-2010, 10:14 AM
Finally! The folks at the Special Districts office downtown are going to be happy that I'm not walking in or calling anymore. 3 or 4 years ago I was in there weekly asking for updated info and they always told me it's coming soon.

5shot
08-12-2010, 10:27 AM
Finally! The folks at the Special Districts office downtown are going to be happy that I'm not walking in or calling anymore. 3 or 4 years ago I was in there weekly asking for updated info and they always told me it's coming soon.

Well, "soon" in government terms usually means 3-4 years. I thought we were done with it 3-4 years ago, and then some other agencies and people got involved. :shrug: .

hypnoman
08-12-2010, 9:36 PM
Well, the map (shooting ordnance) went thru the 2nd reading (final approval) by the Board of Supervisors yesterday without any outside challenges. So it's officially approved, and will take effect on Sept 9th.
BassPro is already having the maps printed and should be available for sale on the 9th. They should also be available online in a printable form about the same time. I'll post the S.B. Co. web address as soon as I have that information.
The official paper form of these maps will be sold by BassPro for $9.95. We are exploring the idea of having other vendors distribute the official map, and they will also be required to sell it for $9.95. So be cautious of anyone trying to sell S.B. Co. shooting maps for a higher price.

Can't wait to see this map!!

cmth
08-15-2010, 3:21 PM
Been waiting for this for a decade. Thanks for all of your hard work (unless you didn't do any hard work :D).

kel-tec-innovations
08-15-2010, 3:48 PM
Wheres the map?

ke6guj
08-15-2010, 3:53 PM
Wheres the map?posted above.

spectr17
08-15-2010, 10:28 PM
If you want to see a current SB county map, Bass Pro in Ranch Cucamonga has Netcomp's county shooting map at their store. It's upstairs over by the gun range on the wall right before the bathrooms. They also have LA County's map up there too.

rideanddive
08-23-2010, 5:18 AM
Has anybody gotten any feedback as to any changes to the old map? What areas will be legal to shoot?

5shot
08-23-2010, 4:06 PM
Has anybody gotten any feedback as to any changes to the old map? What areas will be legal to shoot?

For the most part, the regulations are the same in the unincorporated areas of San Bernardino Co. north of I -10. The exception is the Mojave Natl. Preserve (hunting allowed, no target shooting).

The biggest change is how much of the old unincorporated area has been incorporated by different cities. Once the land becomes incorporated, the city has jurisdiction over the shooting regulations. Most cities do not allow any shooting. A few like Adelanto, and Big Bear City still allow shotgun hunting. But you'd have to call the law enforcement agency from whatever city you'd like to hunt/shoot in to find out the legality.

In the county of San Bernardino, we have tried to have as little restrictions as possibly, while still maintaining a safe hunting and shooting environment. Some DFG personnel had suggested that we (the F&G commission) outlaw night target shooting in the areas where it is now legal. We said no to that. They also suggested that we make the shooting ordnance apply to archery equipment and pneumatic (air guns) weapons. We said no to that also.

guayuque
08-24-2010, 7:52 PM
Great news and a gold star for the F&G Commission in getting this done.

guayuque
08-24-2010, 8:01 PM
I talked with the IT guy for SB Co at the commission meeting today and he's gonna check to see if the online version of the shooting map will work with Smartphones (iPhone, Crackberry etc). If not it would be the cat's pajamas to get the map interfaced to work with Smartphones. No lost or forgotten maps, just blip onto the SB F&G site and interact with the map while in the field. I've seen a demo of Netcomp's shooting map on a Crackberry and it was the shizzle.

The new county map will not be waterproof unfortunately and will be a folder version about the same size as the old SB shooting map.

Where is this smartphone app? I can't find it anywhere! Thanks in advance for a link.

kamsden
08-30-2010, 5:53 AM
John
I checked the Ordinance for the City of Adelanto and they say no firearms. Do the maps show you can shoot Shotgun?
http://www.amlegal.com/library/

PatriotnMore
08-30-2010, 7:42 AM
John
I checked the Ordinance for the City of Adelanto and they say no firearms. Do the maps show you can shoot Shotgun?
http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/California/adelanto_ca/cityofadelantocaliforniamunicipalcode?f=templates$ fn=default.htm$3.0$vid=amlegal:adelanto_ca

Find map here. http://www.specialdistricts.org/2/ scroll down to shooting map on left.

5shot
08-30-2010, 10:50 AM
John
http://www.amlegal.com/library/

No, it wouldn't be on the county map. Cities are just marked "refer to city for shooting regulations".
One of the members here who lives in Adelanto posted in another thread a couple weeks ago, that it was still legal to shotgun hunt in their city. Apparently he was wrong.

Donny1
08-31-2010, 7:39 AM
I hope the printed version is better. Very poor quality pdf.

ar15barrels
08-31-2010, 8:02 AM

The pdf map has not been released yet.
What are you looking at?

5shot
08-31-2010, 10:24 AM

That's the old map. The new one will be in a much improved form online. You will be able to zoom into areas and just print those sections, or the whole map.

rideanddive
08-31-2010, 11:28 AM
I tried some time ago to get a copy of the old map. They only had one spindled & folded display map, and I'm pretty sure that's the basis for the online scan. You can see all the wrinkles and folds :)

Noonanda
09-01-2010, 7:16 PM
any word or updates on this?

ar15barrels
09-01-2010, 7:43 PM
any word or updates on this?

The word is still the same.
Check back in 8 days, or use your time machine if you are in a hurry...

BassPro is already having the maps printed and should be available for sale on the 9th.
They should also be available online in a printable form about the same time. I'll post the S.B. Co. web address as soon as I have that information.

kamsden
09-06-2010, 10:17 AM
I have the new ordinance for the Garmin Created; there are some changes to the old ordinance. Most of the shotgun open area below the SB forest to the 10 is now closed, around the city areas. Crafton hills open and Devore. It is now shotgun only from the SB Forest east side boundary out past 29 palms about 10 miles. Some sections south to Joshua Tree open to rifle and all areas north of pole line road. The rifle/night/shooting area has changed. The area east of the 247 has been moved south to the second bend above lucerne dry lake. Opens more area for coyote hunting. On the west side of the 15 it has been moved to about 1.5 mile south of Hodge road. West to about Mtn Spring road. North to the 58. There is a no night zone from the 58 north on the west side of the 395. Target shooting zone. Very small section. There is a new county closed area above Fontana by Day Canyon Preserve, just expanded that area.

rideanddive
09-06-2010, 12:00 PM
Is it possible to get a Google Earth file of the new area?

BobFam
09-06-2010, 12:24 PM
That's the old map. The new one will be in a much improved form online. You will be able to zoom into areas and just print those sections, or the whole map.

Thanks. When will the improved pdf be available online? Regards, Bob.

powerstrokemike
09-06-2010, 1:05 PM
thanks for keeping us posted looking foward to the new map..

5shot
09-06-2010, 1:33 PM
Thanks. When will the improved pdf be available online? Regards, Bob.

Last I was told is, "as soon as it's law". That should be around thursday, Sept 9th. I'll check with our staff tomorrow, and see if they're still on schedule to launch the new Fish & Game Commission website, with the map.

BobFam
09-06-2010, 3:22 PM
Last I was told is, "as soon as it's law". That should be around thursday, Sept 9th. I'll check with our staff tomorrow, and see if they're still on schedule to launch the new Fish & Game Commission website, with the map.

Hi John. OK. Thanks a lot. Regards, Bob.

kamsden
09-06-2010, 7:51 PM
I look forward to seeing the new map; the section 22.0101 shotgun subsection {f} says Barton Flats-camp Angeles-Forest Area, open to shotgun, than on line 20 it starts over with Barton Flats again covering most of the same area. This is the Jenks Lake and camp ground area. I believe this area is closed, but doesn’t say to be Excepting. I believe this is something left out, I could be wrong on this. I also believe that in the city limits of Big Bear is closed, subsection [j] at the end says all incorporated territory and in 22.0102, I believe Big Bear is incorporated. I look forward to seeing the new map.

5shot
09-06-2010, 8:31 PM
I look forward to seeing the new map; the section 22.0101 shotgun subsection {f} says Barton Flats-camp Angeles-Forest Area, open to shotgun, than on line 20 it starts over with Barton Flats again covering most of the same area. This is the Jenks Lake and camp ground area. I believe this area is closed, but doesn’t say to be Excepting. I believe this is something left out, I could be wrong on this. I also believe that in the city limits of Big Bear is closed, subsection [j] at the end says all incorporated territory and in 22.0102, I believe Big Bear is incorporated. I look forward to seeing the new map.

Jenks Lake and Camp Angeles are NOT closed. There are no closures in any of the forest areas of the Santa Ana river area. The closest closed areas would be Erin Lake and Sugarloaf. There are no closed areas between Oak Glen north to Erin Lake.
Big Bear City allows shotgun hunting. You would have to check with the City of Big Bear Lake on what their municipal code allows.

kamsden
09-07-2010, 4:45 AM
Thanks for the update, I was looking at the old map and it looked like it was closed on that map. Look forward to the new map.

Noonanda
09-11-2010, 8:07 AM
any updates, was hoping to hear something

5shot
09-11-2010, 12:17 PM
The online version should be up anytime now. BassPro still has the paper copies at the printer.
If anyone has a specific area in mind, let me know and I'll email or post a picture of that section of the map.

LEGEND
GREEN = Rifle/Pistol/shotgun hunting, target shooting, day or night.
BLUE = Shotgun Only
PURPLE = Incorporated Cities
ORANGE = Shotgun hunting only
BROWN = Military Base
RED= No Shooting
GRAY= Other counties
YELLOW = Rifle/pistol/shotgun hunting only. Target shooting in designated areas.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc257/emailbishop/maplegend.jpg?t=1284242739

Big Bear Area:

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc257/emailbishop/bigBear.jpg?t=1284576333

Lake Arrowhead Area:

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc257/emailbishop/lakearrowheadmap.jpg?t=1284235420

Barstow Area:

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc257/emailbishop/Barstowmap.jpg?t=1284236347

Wrightwood / Lytle Creek / Cajon Pass Area:

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc257/emailbishop/wrightwoodmap.jpg?t=1284235612

Barton Flats Area:

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc257/emailbishop/BartonFlats.jpg?t=1284236096

rideanddive
09-11-2010, 12:57 PM
5shot, that's awesome, thanks for all your hard work. Do you have the info available for my area? Also, when do you expect it to be on the SBCO website? rideanddive

rideanddive
09-11-2010, 2:59 PM
Big thanks to 5shot for all his hard work, nice to have one of the good guys on a gov't commission for a change

Kmullen
09-15-2010, 3:59 PM
Do you have the map in pdf. I have a plotter and would like to print it out full size.
Kevin

5shot
09-15-2010, 4:23 PM
Do you have the map in pdf. I have a plotter and would like to print it out full size.
Kevin

Once Special Districts gets the map online, it will be in pdf form. I only have a paper map right now.

olhunter
09-15-2010, 5:36 PM
Kevin

That will be a BIG map. :D

guayuque
09-15-2010, 5:54 PM
Thanks, John. Nice to see that this finally got done.

Kmullen
09-15-2010, 6:29 PM
I can print up to 48" wide and the paper comes in 100' rolls
Kevin
ps it prints in photo quality.

PM720
09-15-2010, 8:17 PM
I can print up to 48" wide and the paper comes in 100' rolls
Kevin
ps it prints in photo quality.

SHOWOFF!!! ;):D

Scott

Cougar125
09-16-2010, 2:21 AM
That is awesome of you 5Shot. Props. :)

stevoe0970
09-16-2010, 8:20 PM
I just noticed on the Big Bear area map posted above, the yellow area is just for hunting, but only target shooting in designated areas. On another map I recently seen posted, a good amount of that same yellow area around big bear had the hatch marks indicating hunting and target shooting. Am I correct in assuming this means the rules have changed in the area surrounding big bear? See the map below which I obtained in pdf format from a recent post. The legend indicated that the yellow hatch marks indicated both hunting and target shooting. The document was entitled "Recreational shooting areas in San Bernardino County".

Also, on the BLM map it shows some areas around the 18 north of Big Bear as BLM land. On the map above it does not show the BLM areas, but instead shows it as blue for shotgun only. Am I correct in assuming these particular BLM areas are shotgun only?

http://dreamwholesaler.com/bigbeararea.jpg

5shot
09-16-2010, 10:08 PM
I just noticed on the Big Bear area map posted above, the yellow area is just for hunting, but only target shooting in designated areas. On another map I recently seen posted, a good amount of that same yellow area around big bear had the hatch marks indicating hunting and target shooting. Am I correct in assuming this means the rules have changed in the area surrounding big bear? See the map below which I obtained in pdf format from a recent post. The legend indicated that the yellow hatch marks indicated both hunting and target shooting. The document was entitled "Recreational shooting areas in San Bernardino County".

Also, on the BLM map it shows some areas around the 18 north of Big Bear as BLM land. On the map above it does not show the BLM areas, but instead shows it as blue for shotgun only. Am I correct in assuming these particular BLM areas are shotgun only?

http://dreamwholesaler.com/bigbeararea.jpg

The map above is the old map, and no longer current. It will soon be replaced online with the new map and ordnance that became law on Sept 9th.
The SB Co. shooting ordnance applies to all unincorporated areas of the county, BLM, Natl Forest, state lands, county lands, MNP, and privately owned lands.

stevoe0970
09-17-2010, 7:51 AM
Thanks John for that valuable information. I'll get rid of that old map, and refer to the new one.

rideanddive
09-17-2010, 7:47 PM
The new map is now up. Go to http://www.specialdistricts.org/2/FishandGame/docs/2010_cnty_shooting_areas_final.pdf for the full county map, or http://www.specialdistricts.org/2/FishandGame/docs/2010_vly_mtn_shooting_areas_finala.pdf for the Valleys and Mountains map

5shot
09-17-2010, 11:43 PM
The new map is now up. Go to http://www.specialdistricts.org/2/FishandGame/docs/2010_cnty_shooting_areas_final.pdf for the full county map, or http://www.specialdistricts.org/2/FishandGame/docs/2010_vly_mtn_shooting_areas_finala.pdf for the Valleys and Mountains map

Also the actual ordnance and legal boundaries are at this web address:

http://www.specialdistricts.org/2/FishandGame/docs/FirearmsOrdinance.pdf

You can find both pages of the map and the ordnance at our F&G Commission webpage:

http://www.specialdistricts.org/2/FishandGame/

sandsnow
09-18-2010, 8:30 AM
I see the yellow area east of 29 Palms changed from your draft copy you posted earlier.

Any chance that was an oops?

Thanks for your work on the map

5shot
09-18-2010, 10:27 AM
I see the yellow area east of 29 Palms changed from your draft copy you posted earlier.

Any chance that was an oops?

Thanks for your work on the map

Looks like the Board of Supervisors added a change before they approved the final map. Since they did change that part of the map, I'm going to take down the post I made with that section of the map.

nrandell
09-18-2010, 10:28 AM
What's the deal with the small square-ish area that looks like it's inside the Joshua Tree National Park?

5shot
09-18-2010, 10:42 AM
What's the deal with the small square-ish area that looks like it's inside the Joshua Tree National Park?

Either it's not within the Park, or it's a island of private property surrounded by Park land.

jaymz
09-18-2010, 11:30 AM
WOW! Not a single piece of public land on the entire San Bernardino Valley & Mountains map that is legal to shoot pistols or rifles unless it's a "designated area"(or hunting). How can I find the designated areas? I don't see it on the map, or in the ordnance.

5shot
09-18-2010, 11:56 AM
WOW! Not a single piece of public land on the entire San Bernardino Valley & Mountains map that is legal to shoot pistols or rifles unless it's a "designated area"(or hunting). How can I find the designated areas? I don't see it on the map, or in the ordnance.

That is mostly Nat. Forest lands, which have designated target shooting areas. We don't put those areas on the map since they are subject to change, move, open, or close depending on fire and other conditions in the forest.
You can find the "designated areas" on the forest service website:
http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c5/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gDfxMDT8MwRydLA1cj72 BTSw8jAwgAykeaxcN4jhYG_h4eYX5hPgYwefy6w0H24dcPNgEH cDTQ9_PIz03VL8iNMMgycVQEAIzTHkw!/dl3/d3/L2dJQSEvUUt3QS9ZQnZ3LzZfMjAwMDAwMDBBODBPSEhWTjJNMD AwMDAwMDA!/?navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&cid=stelprdb5156888&navid=110250000000000&pnavid=110000000000000&ss=110512&position=Not%2520Yet%2520Determined.Html&ttype=detail&pname=San%2520Bernardino%2520National%2520Forest-%2520Other%2520Activities

jaymz
09-18-2010, 2:59 PM
That is mostly Nat. Forest lands, which have designated target shooting areas. We don't put those areas on the map since they are subject to change, move, open, or close depending on fire and other conditions in the forest.
You can find the "designated areas" on the forest service website:
http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c5/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gDfxMDT8MwRydLA1cj72 BTSw8jAwgAykeaxcN4jhYG_h4eYX5hPgYwefy6w0H24dcPNgEH cDTQ9_PIz03VL8iNMMgycVQEAIzTHkw!/dl3/d3/L2dJQSEvUUt3QS9ZQnZ3LzZfMjAwMDAwMDBBODBPSEhWTjJNMD AwMDAwMDA!/?navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&cid=stelprdb5156888&navid=110250000000000&pnavid=110000000000000&ss=110512&position=Not%2520Yet%2520Determined.Html&ttype=detail&pname=San%2520Bernardino%2520National%2520Forest-%2520Other%2520Activities

Thanks for the info. I know that there are a handful of spots up in Big Bear, but they suck. Hopefully there are some decent places out there.

Noonanda
09-18-2010, 7:21 PM
stupid question I see the map is broken up into blocks with number/letter designator, for example T02NR08E. Do those correspond to a mapsheet that I could order, obviously they are not grids lol

spectr17
09-18-2010, 8:25 PM
Noonando those numbers are the township and range for the map. Township 02 north. Range 08 east. You can use these legal coordimates to order maps

rideanddive
09-19-2010, 7:16 AM
When you fire up the PDF file for the map, you can click on "TOOLS" "ANALYSIS" "GEOSPATIAL LOCATION TOOL". When you scroll with your mouse, you should see the Latitude and Longitude displayed on the lower right corner of the map. This can be handy if you want to plug the coordinates into your GPS unit.

LloydXmas250
09-19-2010, 7:34 AM
Is it possible a moderator could put those links in a sticky thread so it's always easily available. Thanks for all the help and work John. Much appreciated.

Lex
09-19-2010, 7:47 AM
Hi John,

Little confuse with the maps and color coding. I am in Diamond Bar. Where is the closest place where i can do some day shooting legally?

heypal
09-19-2010, 9:22 AM
What are the gray areas? Rather, the darker gray areas which fall inside the county lines? The color is different from the key's designated 'shotgun only' light blue areas, but that's what I would have thought it was at first.

5shot
09-19-2010, 9:39 AM
Hi John,

Little confuse with the maps and color coding. I am in Diamond Bar. Where is the closest place where i can do some day shooting legally?

It looks like the target shooting areas in the forest are closed for the fire season, so the Barstow area would be the closest to you. Scroll up to the map segments I posted and look at the Barstow one. Basically up the I-15 to the area of Hodge Rd. and west of there. The property right next to the freeway with the radio towers is private, so you'll have to head a little farther west until you don't see anymore private property signs.
Others like to go a little farther north to the Fort Irwin Rd. area.
Once you get north of Barstow, or Kramer Junction, most of the area is unlimited shooting until Nevada.

5shot
09-19-2010, 9:54 AM
What are the gray areas? Rather, the darker gray areas which fall inside the county lines? The color is different from the key's designated 'shotgun only' light blue areas, but that's what I would have thought it was at first.

I don't see what your describing. All the gray areas I see on the maps are outside the county borders. There are gray "lines" all over the map that show borders, streets, roads, and outlines of lake boundaries, etc.
Tell me what map your looking at, and what area of that map, and I'll take another look.

heypal
09-19-2010, 3:51 PM
Thank you John. I'm referring to the map that rideanddrive linked to, the full county map: http://www.specialdistricts.org/2/Fi...reas_final.pdf.

The areas within the map that I'm specifically interested in are those surrounding the incorporated area of Yucca Valley, west of Twentynine Palms, and east of the yellow areas surrounding Big Bear. They appear as a darker gray area than the grays outside the boundaries of the county.

I'm a novice hunter interested in pursuing some quail without a dog in the area, so if you have any thoughts or words of advice for someone who's new to the hunt, they would be welcome, as well.

Thanks for your hard work, I know that I'm not the only one who appreciates it.

5shot
09-19-2010, 4:14 PM
Thank you John. I'm referring to the map that rideanddrive linked to, the full county map: http://www.specialdistricts.org/2/Fi...reas_final.pdf.

The areas within the map that I'm specifically interested in are those surrounding the incorporated area of Yucca Valley, west of Twentynine Palms, and east of the yellow areas surrounding Big Bear. They appear as a darker gray area than the grays outside the boundaries of the county.

I'm a novice hunter interested in pursuing some quail without a dog in the area, so if you have any thoughts or words of advice for someone who's new to the hunt, they would be welcome, as well.

Thanks for your hard work, I know that I'm not the only one who appreciates it.

That link didn't work. On this one, I'm seeing those areas as "blue" shotgun.
http://www.specialdistricts.org/2/FishandGame/docs/2010_cnty_shooting_areas_final.pdf

The color "gray" is not used on the map other then for boundaries, roads, etc.

From what I've seen and been hearing from others, quail should to good to excellent this year. Find water in a hunting area, and you should find quail this year. Try Google earth or some good maps to find springs, ponds, etc. If you find a canyon with a lot of trees or green brush, there's probably water close by.

5shot
09-21-2010, 4:34 PM
We were told at our meeting today that the deal with BassPro has been stopped or at the very least delayed, because of legal issues the County Counsel has brought up.
So today we voted to use monies from our F&G commission funds to print maps to be distributed by the county at the Special Districts Office. Good thing about this is the maps will only cost you $2.00, whereas Bass Pro Shop was going to sell the maps for $9.95.
We will still make bulk purchases available to vendors (at $2.00 each), who will be able to resell them at whatever price the market dictates. We will approach sporting goods and gun vendors to buy bulk quantities, so they can be distributed in various areas of So. Cal. And of course the online maps are public information and can be printed and duplicated by anyone who chooses.

Lex
09-21-2010, 5:27 PM
John,

Thank you... thank you.. .thank you.......

heypal
09-21-2010, 5:47 PM
John,

Thank you... thank you.. .thank you.......

...what he said...

spectr17
09-21-2010, 8:36 PM
lil help on the online map. I'm working with John Bradford. from the San Bernardino County IT dept on making the online shooting map easier to use and print. We need some feedback on how it's working for you. Right now printing maps is a no go for the computers I've tried. Others have also said the map load time is slow to view and navigate on the map. We're working on breaking the map into 16 sections to ease that problem.

Go to this link and try and print out a section of this map. Post up what your results are. I can print a section after zooming in a bit but my printed maps comes out about 3" x 5" which is too small. Also post what browser you are using and version of Adobe .pdf reader if you know it.

http://www.specialdistricts.org/2/FishandGame/docs/2010_vly_mtn_shooting_areas_finala.pdf

Also those of you with cellphones, try and download the map on your phone and see if you can get it to work. My download completed on my EVO but I can't get it to open, the .pdf file may be too large I'm guessing. Post what phone you used and what errors or any helpful ideas you might have.

Kamsden, jump in anytime to shed some light on these issues if you want.

Thanks.

Lex
09-21-2010, 8:57 PM
John was helping me to clarify things. The thing that confuse people the most are the layers of information. I deleted about 4-5 layers and all make sense.

heypal
09-21-2010, 10:27 PM
"Go to this link and try and print out a section of this map. Post up what your results are. I can print a section after zooming in a bit but my printed maps comes out about 3" x 5" which is too small. Also post what browser you are using and version of Adobe .pdf reader if you know it.

http://www.specialdistricts.org/2/Fi...eas_finala.pdf

Also those of you with cellphones, try and download the map on your phone and see if you can get it to work. My download completed on my EVO but I can't get it to open, the .pdf file may be too large I'm guessing. Post what phone you used and what errors or any helpful ideas you might have."

I'm on my iphone 4 and was able to see the map and land features/boundaries. There were no color overlays corresponding to the key, though. I'll see if I can download it and post back.

5shot
09-21-2010, 10:38 PM
The whole map is 2 sided around 24" X 36". With a regular printer it will take several pages to print out the whole map.
What you may want to try for now, is printing only the areas your interested in.

If you zoom the area your interested in to 150% - 200% you get a very clear, readable print out.

1. Click on "print", then on "Print Range", click on "Current View" and that will narrow your print area to the section your looking at.

2. Then click on "Page Scaling" and choose, "Fit to printable area". That will enlarge the print to whatever size paper your printer is using.

spectr17
09-21-2010, 10:42 PM
I was able to finally get the map to load on my EVO using the pdf viewer app. Just like you said heypal, I get no color coding. Here's a pic of what I see now. You can zoom in enough to see landmarks and figure out where you're at, about the view of a 7 1/2 minute topo map. You can't zoom any more that I can figure out.

When you load the map it takes a bit for the data to load the map image initially, a few minutes maybe. When you move around the map it takes maybe 30 seconds for the image to load on my 3G connection here in Redlands. I think the IT dept breaking the map down into smaller sections will speed the navigation and load times up. The search works in the pdf viewer so you can find a landmark easily.

As far as why no color coding the IT dept will have to address that issue. At least we can give them some feedback now, thanks. Does anyone know how smartphones cache up big image files like this? Is the lag loading a cache issue or huge file size issue?

http://www.jesseshunting.com/images/sb_shooting_map_evo_screen.jpg

I also got my printing the map working, had the wrong setting on scaling. Now I need a color laser printer, the B&W sucks for this map LOL.

rideanddive
09-22-2010, 9:30 AM
I followed the suggestions of 5shot, zoomed and printed a map that covers my local area, it came out fine with all layers shown

spectr17
09-22-2010, 9:28 PM
from FarmerDoug on our forum.

Just for the hell of it, I just printed out a full size (35.75X24) on my plotter. The quality was pretty good. It took the plotter a couple extra minutes to download it because of all the color on the map. Thanks for the link! I think I will print up a few more for some family and friends......

Please leave feedback if you use or print this map. Thanks

Helpful_Cub
09-22-2010, 9:40 PM
I talked to a lady at BLM Barstow office today about target shooting on BLM land. She asked what I wanted to shoot, and I replied that I wanted to sight in my rifle. She kind of freaked and after calming down informed me that all of Barstow BLM land was shotgun only and that I couldn't even hunt with a rifle.

5shot
09-22-2010, 10:05 PM
I talked to a lady at BLM Barstow office today about target shooting on BLM land. She asked what I wanted to shoot, and I replied that I wanted to sight in my rifle. She kind of freaked and after calming down informed me that all of Barstow BLM land was shotgun only and that I couldn't even hunt with a rifle.

Next time tell her to check her own website. :

RECREATIONAL SHOOTING ON THE PUBLIC LANDS

Target shooting is allowed on land managed by the Bureau of Land Management (BLM). The legal target shooting area is the area north, northwest, or northeast of Barstow, taking into consideration any private land, posted signs, and other rules and regulations that would apply. It is the responsibility of the shooter to know the laws for the area where they are shooting.

Please see the overview map for the specific "shotguns only" area involved. This ordinance is in effect due to scattered homes and recreational users sharing the area.

For a detailed map, call the San Bernardino County Special Districts office at (909) 387-5940 (157 W. 5th Street, 2nd Floor, San Bernardino, CA 92415-0451).

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/barstow/recshoot.html

dropshot
09-25-2010, 4:20 PM
We were told at our meeting today that the deal with BassPro has been stopped or at the very least delayed, because of legal issues the County Counsel has brought up.
So today we voted to use monies from our F&G commission funds to print maps to be distributed by the county at the Special Districts Office. Good thing about this is the maps will only cost you $2.00, whereas Bass Pro Shop was going to sell the maps for $9.95.
We will still make bulk purchases available to vendors (at $2.00 each), who will be able to resell them at whatever price the market dictates. We will approach sporting goods and gun vendors to buy bulk quantities, so they can be distributed in various areas of So. Cal. And of course the online maps are public information and can be printed and duplicated by anyone who chooses.

hey 5shot thanks for all the time and effort! do you have an idea of when the map will on the shelves?

5shot
09-25-2010, 10:59 PM
hey 5shot thanks for all the time and effort! do you have an idea of when the map will on the shelves?

We've already got pricing from some printers, and funds have been approved for the printing.
So I'm hoping within a few weeks the map will at least be available at our Special Districts office.
Although it would be a money maker for sporting goods and gun shops, I can't predict at this time how many will choose to distribute the maps.

kamsden
09-26-2010, 7:00 AM
I have found that when printing large pdf files, you must go to print; select advanced and select print as an image. The problem when printing with so many layers, the print spooler has to draw every line to the spooler. When printing as an image, it grabs the screen shot. I have not tried printing this pdf. The colors are to bold and use lots of ink. I do have the map for the Garmin; I have added a new road set to the data. The mountain roads are a new release from the forestry service, only 1 month old. It shows all the BLM, Private and State lands. The Garmin is built with 4 sets of maps. The more you zoom in the more detailed it gets.

dropshot
09-26-2010, 9:45 AM
Cool can't wait. Anyone know if there is something similar for riverside county?

spectr17
09-26-2010, 8:06 PM
dropshot, nothing is the works for Riverside. http://www.firearmsmaps.com/ has shooting maps for all the SoCal counties now. As kamsden points out FirearmsMaps.com maps are updated as soon as the files are released by BLM, NF, NP etc. Much more reliable and current. They obviously cost more than the SB County Special District map.

To all, I combined all the tips into some easy steps.

How to print the new shooting map.

Zoom in to where you want your view of the map, usually 150% to 300% depending on how big an area you want and how much detail.

1. Click on "print", then on "Print Range" click on "Current View" and that will print the area you're looking at.

2. In the "Page Scaling" section choose, "Fit To Printable Area". That will enlarge the print to whatever size paper your printer is using.

3. Then in "Page Scaling" choose, "Fit to paper". That will enlarge the print to whatever size paper your printer is using.

4. Select "Advanced" and check "Print As Image". This will just print the screen image (what you see) and not all the layers you don't see or need.

Then print

kamsden
09-27-2010, 6:04 AM
Jesse, what map app do you have on your droid? I’m working on a SB file set in KML format. This can be used with Google Earth on the computer.

5shot
09-30-2010, 3:52 PM
UPDATE: We have received all the competitive bids required by the county, and a commercial printer has been selected.
Maps will be double sided 24" X 36" and folded down to 5" X 8". Cost to public and vendors will be $2.00 per map.
We're probably looking at 2 to 3 weeks before the maps are available at our Special Districts Office for purchase. There will be a press release when the maps are available for sale. And I will keep you updated in this thread.

To view the map or print out your own copies, click on the link below my signature.

stevoe0970
09-30-2010, 10:00 PM
I ended up opening the pdf on my desktop and zooming in to areas of interest, and then doing a print screen for each, pasting them into a photo program, and saving them as jpg. I then loaded the jpg's on my cell phone. Would have liked to just keep the whole pdf on my cell phone, but it took forever to open up, and I got tired of waiting after a few minutes. The jpg's work fine, and are still able to be zoomed into on the cell phone.

5shot
11-02-2010, 6:16 PM
The hard copies of the map are now available for purchase ($2.00) at:

San Benardino County Special Districts Department
157 West 5th Street
2nd Floor
San Bernardino, CA 92415
(909) 387-5940

Lex
11-02-2010, 8:01 PM
Thanks John for the update. Is there anyway to purchase online?

5shot
11-02-2010, 8:38 PM
Thanks John for the update. Is there anyway to purchase online?

Not sure yet. Best to call Special Districts and see if they are going to get set up for mail order sales.

5shot
11-08-2010, 1:21 PM
Special Districts is not set up for internet or credit card sales yet, so you will have to mail in the money to mail order one, or you will have to go to their office M-F 8am-5pm to pick up the map.

I bought 50 maps last week for sale to TOF (The Outdoors Forum) and Calguns members, who's schedule won't allow them to go to San Bernardino during the day. I will sell them for the regular price, $2.00 each + $1.50 to cover postage, PayPal fee, and mailing envelope.
I only have about 20 left. If you would like one, you can PayPal the $3.50 to: emailbishop@yahoo.com

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc257/emailbishop/shootingmap.jpg?t=1289237704

5shot
11-11-2010, 9:30 AM
I've got 15 maps left

Lex
11-11-2010, 9:54 AM
Thanks John,

I got 10 from John so I can share them with my friends.... Great price and great services too. Can i do a itrade for this? :)

Taildraggerdave
11-11-2010, 2:20 PM
I'll take 2. Paypal sent.

5shot
11-12-2010, 10:25 AM
I'll take 2. Paypal sent.

Mailed out this morning.

5shot
11-20-2010, 10:28 PM
I've got 5 maps left.

Last week I talked with "Turner's" and "Ammo Bros". They will both be carrying the maps soon. We're also re-working the original deal with BassPro, and looks like they will also be carrying the maps soon.

Donny1
11-21-2010, 8:43 AM
The map is awesome. I picked one up from their office 2 weeks ago. I was there a total of a minute and a half and the staff was friendly and polite. It was like, here you go, we are not scared of you because you want to go shooting. A nice change from the attitudes in LA county.

John, thanks again for all you time and diligence in getting this done. I do have a question about the designated shooting areas in the SB mountains. They are within a general area where shooting is ok only where posted but these are large areas of the forest and the signage is sparse or non existent. On the 1N09 shooting area the sign says shooting is allowed in the areas marked with yellow posts or something, but the posts don't exist anymore so you are not sure if you went far enough, or if you are in violation by not being in a designated area. I have not been to these others, Forest Road 2N02 East of Baldwin Lake Road, Forest Road 5S07 North of Highway 74, Forest Road 2N93 Lighting Gulch because I'm not sure of the locations and there are not any specific directions that I can find. So it seems like they are saying it's ok to shoot in these places, if you can find it. Is there anywhere I can get coordinates or specific directions?

5shot
11-21-2010, 11:12 AM
The map is awesome. I picked one up from their office 2 weeks ago. I was there a total of a minute and a half and the staff was friendly and polite. It was like, here you go, we are not scared of you because you want to go shooting. A nice change from the attitudes in LA county.

John, thanks again for all you time and diligence in getting this done. I do have a question about the designated shooting areas in the SB mountains. They are within a general area where shooting is ok only where posted but these are large areas of the forest and the signage is sparse or non existent. On the 1N09 shooting area the sign says shooting is allowed in the areas marked with yellow posts or something, but the posts don't exist anymore so you are not sure if you went far enough, or if you are in violation by not being in a designated area. I have not been to these others, Forest Road 2N02 East of Baldwin Lake Road, Forest Road 5S07 North of Highway 74, Forest Road 2N93 Lighting Gulch because I'm not sure of the locations and there are not any specific directions that I can find. So it seems like they are saying it's ok to shoot in these places, if you can find it. Is there anywhere I can get coordinates or specific directions?

Those areas are basically opened/closed/relocated etc. at the discretion of the Forest Supervisors.
I'd call their office and talk to as many people as it takes to get some good directions.

Supervisor's Office
602 S. Tippecanoe Ave.
San Bernardino, CA 92408
(909) 382-2600 (Voice)

There is a misnomer that the people you come in contact with in the forest are "rangers". The whole forest is supervised by a "Forest Supervisor". Each forest has several "ranger districts". Each one of those districts has a "district ranger" who supervises that section of the forest. Then there are "forest law enforcement officers". They are the ones in the field enforcing the forest regulations. You may get some better answers from them, then the office staff.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c4/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gjAwhwtDDw9_AI8zPyhQ oY6BdkOyoCAGixyPg!/?ss=110512&navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&cid=FSBDEV7_007787&navid=170000000000000&position=Feature*&ttype=detail&pname=San%20Bernardino%20National%20Forest-%20About%20the%20Forest

czbeezy
07-09-2015, 2:41 PM
The B.O.S. did not get to vote on the new shooting ordnance on June 15th, since budget items took up the whole day. It has been rescheduled for a vote on July 27th. If it is passed then, the 30 day wait until it becomes law will be over at the end of day, August 25th.
Then as I posted before, the map will be available free on our new website that be launched at that time. This will be the only place the map will be available untill BassPro's printer finishes the hard copies. Then hard copies of the map can be purchased from BassPro for $9.95.
The map will always be available free in a printable form from our website.

Other then boundary changes for new cities and the MNP (Mojave Natl. Preserve), there really isn't very much new in the updated ordnance. Just about everything north of Barstow and Kramer Junction remains the same, other then the MNP. And most of the Natl Forest remains the same.

If anyone has any questions about a shooting area in San Bernardino County, feel free to PM me here. I have all the current and new proposed maps and ordnance's.
Hey there, I was curious what area is shooter friendly close to Bonita falls? If there is one.

jaymz
07-09-2015, 2:59 PM
I don't think there's anything in Lytle Creek other than the two ranges. Private one near the bottom of the hill, public one near the top.

czbeezy
07-09-2015, 4:02 PM
I don't think there's anything in Lytle Creek other than the two ranges. Private one near the bottom of the hill, public one near the top.
Doesn't have to be necessarily Lytle Creek, just what's available in San bernadino

jaymz
07-09-2015, 7:13 PM
Bonita Falls is near Lytle Creek. San Bernardinon is huge. Go to the link 5shot provided and download the map.

czbeezy
07-11-2015, 4:45 PM
Bonita Falls is near Lytle Creek. San Bernardinon is huge. Go to the link 5shot provided and download the map.
Content not located [emoji29]

And checking the map that was posted on page 5 I see yellow, green lines and triangles. Seems so vague...

tony270
07-12-2015, 12:49 PM
Here ya go:

http://cms.sbcounty.gov/Portals/1/FishandGame/2010_cnty_shooting_areas_final.pdf

http://cms.sbcounty.gov/Portals/1/FishandGame/2010_vly_mtn_shooting_areas_finala2.pdf

http://cms.sbcounty.gov/parks/FishandGameCommission/ShootingMaps.aspx

czbeezy
07-12-2015, 1:27 PM
Here ya go:

http://cms.sbcounty.gov/Portals/1/FishandGame/2010_cnty_shooting_areas_final.pdf

http://cms.sbcounty.gov/Portals/1/FishandGame/2010_vly_mtn_shooting_areas_finala2.pdf

http://cms.sbcounty.gov/parks/FishandGameCommission/ShootingMaps.aspx
Thanks brother!