PDA

View Full Version : did I damage my AR?

masayuki
05-18-2010, 4:25 PM
I just finished my first build a few weeks ago. So far I have only put about 200 rounds through it, and I have cleaned it a total of three times (once before 1st shooting, once after 1st shooting, once after 2nd shooting). Up to this point I have unknowingly cleaned the barrel improperly (against the travel of the bullet). After the first time shooting it, I used a good deal of force to get the cleaning rod down the barrel. I then noticed on my 2nd outing to the range, that my shots were off slightly. Could I have already damaged my muzzle crown? Could this be why my shots are off? When I look at the barrel, I can see what might be a few scratches outside of the bore, but they do not seem to be very significant. I am very new to this and I appreciate any knowledge/advice you can give.

Bug Splat
05-18-2010, 4:28 PM
I doubt you did any damage with only a few cleaning but yeah no more cleaning from the front. Take care of the crown ;)

Mail Clerk
05-18-2010, 4:51 PM
I just finished my first build a few weeks ago. So far I have only put about 200 rounds through it, and I have cleaned it a total of three times (once before 1st shooting, once after 1st shooting, once after 2nd shooting). Up to this point I have unknowingly cleaned the barrel improperly (against the travel of the bullet). After the first time shooting it, I used a good deal of force to get the cleaning rod down the barrel. I then noticed on my 2nd outing to the range, that my shots were off slightly. Could I have already damaged my muzzle crown? Could this be why my shots are off? When I look at the barrel, I can see what might be a few scratches outside of the bore, but they do not seem to be very significant. I am very new to this and I appreciate any knowledge/advice you can give.

masayuki,

Use a magnifying glass to look at the crown of the barrel to see if you dinged the crown. When it comes to center-fire rifle the accuracy comes more from the bore instead of the crown.

Next time clean from the rear by removing the bolt carrier. NEVER clean from the front!!!!

Mail Clerk

IsaacGlass
05-18-2010, 4:54 PM

Most likely your shot was off due to human error.

tacticalcity
05-18-2010, 4:58 PM
Seriously doubt you did any damage. Shots are probably off due to trigger control, breathing, human error type stuff. Also, getting your rifle sighted in when you just learning how to shoot it can be a real challenge. The rifle is usually the last thing to blame.

reidnez
05-18-2010, 5:04 PM
You probably didn't do any harm. Most AR barrels are chrome-lined, and chrome is harder than a cleaning rod. Still, do it right next time--LOL!

Simple way to remember: the cleaning rod always goes the same direction the bullets do :)

Cobrafreak
05-18-2010, 5:09 PM
Ditto. From the breach forward. Some rifles you can't really do this way, so they have a tool you put over the barrel tip that prevents contact from the rod to the barrel. I think M1A's and Garrands have this situation.

Darklyte27
05-18-2010, 5:12 PM
what were the range conditions that day? windy? how bout this time? no wind?... get my point?

nikonuser
05-18-2010, 6:32 PM
Use bore snake when cleaning your rifle and you will never ding the inside of your barrel.

technique
05-18-2010, 6:34 PM
Well, doubtful you actually caused any harm. But 3 cleans in only 200rnds is a bit excessive (by my standards).

Cleaning every 500-1000rnds or sounds like a good number...I lube around those intervals, I suppose I could clean around then too.

dieselpower
05-18-2010, 8:05 PM
Well, doubtful you actually caused any harm. But 3 cleans in only 200rnds is a bit excessive (by my standards).

Cleaning every 500-1000rnds or sounds like a good number...I lube around those intervals, I suppose I could clean around then too.

agreed

Noah3683
05-18-2010, 8:09 PM
You broke it..... I'll give you $20 for it. Just kidding. It's probably fine.... mental thing. But yeah that is excessive cleaning. 500-1000 rds minimum is a good cleaning interval

ocabj
05-18-2010, 8:20 PM
I clean after each outing. For a match, that's usually 88 rounds.

If I travel to a multi-day match, I most likely won't clean until I get back home. Usually, 2-day match weekends are an 80 round XTC and an EIC event, so that's 138 rounds.

If I'm participating in a long event (i.e. 80 round aggregate + EIC + team match), I'll clean between one of the days, just because after 100 rounds, I want a little less fouling in the gun for when I get to the 600 yard line for a third match.

nukechaser
05-18-2010, 8:28 PM
Agreed on the "probably didn't hurt it" category...

Most likely shooting technique error. :)

An Appleseed shoot will help with your technique and is fun!

savageno4
05-18-2010, 9:02 PM
It's probably fine. Next time at the range, maybe have a friend shoot it for you and see if it's accurate.

If by "off" you mean it isn't hitting where the sights are, that's not really a problem. Sights can just be adjusted. If it is grouping well (shots are close together) then you are fine. Your groups will not likely be too good if you're a new shooter, so if you have any friends who shoot a lot, let them pop off five rounds or so. I'd offer, since I see you're in Sac, but I'm leaving the country this weekend, so...

CSACANNONEER
05-18-2010, 9:13 PM
Use bore snake when cleaning your rifle and you will never ding the inside of your barrel.

You'll never get it completely clean either. Before you tell me I'm full of it, you might want to check out your barrel with a bore scope after "cleaning" it winth a bore snake. They are OK for quick, halfask cleanings between real cleanings though.

masayuki,

Use a magnifying glass to look at the crown of the barrel to see if you dinged the crown. When it comes to center-fire rifle the accuracy comes more from the bore instead of the crown.

Next time clean from the rear by removing the bolt carrier. NEVER clean from the front!!!!

Mail Clerk

While I agree that it is better protection for your muzzle if you clean it from the breach end, MANY MILLIONS of barrels have been cleaned from muzzle end since the first firearm was made. Proper cleaning from the muzzle, will not hurt your barrel. Think of all the millions of lever, pump, muzzleloaders, etc. which get cleaned from the front and still shoot fine after countless rounds and countless cleanings over the years.

masayuki
05-18-2010, 9:42 PM
Thanks everyone for all the great information. I had a feeling my issues were due to my inexperience as a shooter but what I had read online had me believing that I could do serious damage to the barrel from my few improper cleanings. Also, I don't personally know anyone who has built an AR or even shoots regularly to test the accuracy of my gun. So again, thanks to all. :D

Greg-Dawg
05-19-2010, 5:10 AM
If you're still feeling iffy about your AR, just let the range guys shoot it.

blackrifle242
05-19-2010, 10:06 PM
I have seen allot worse things put down barrels.