PDA

View Full Version : BB gun rifle for kids?

Bug Splat
05-18-2010, 2:33 PM
My son 10th Birthday is coming up next month and what better way to welcome him into double digits then with his own BB gun for shooting around my parents land (10 acres against 100+acres of open land). He has had his own 22 rifle since he was 5 but I want something I can give him to just go out and shoot on his own. The 22 is fun and he is great with gun safety but I still don't trust him and his little sister (8) to out alone shooting it.

I have a number of BB and pellet guns myself but they are either higher end single shot rifles I don't want him taking out or they run off C02 cartridges and I don't want to waste money on those. I bought the kids one of those cheap Red Ryder bb guns but it broke 30 shots in and was just a POS.

Looking for an inexpensive pump action BB gun that he can load up 100+ BB's into it and just shot at things for a couple hours without having to load one BB in each time.

stix213
05-18-2010, 3:14 PM
I read "BB" as in Bullet Button, and clicked wondering what kind of AR-15 you were buying for your kids to shoot :p

(sorry I don't know any good BB guns, and the good BB guns made out of steel etc from when I was a kid are still around, but now even though they look identical they are using plastic parts instead, so can't recommend)

bak
05-18-2010, 3:25 PM
I shot only pellets as they did not ricochet as easily. Had all sorts of fun with that Crossman
b

Hyper
05-18-2010, 3:57 PM
Get a Crosman 1077 + extra clips + Gamo Match pellets + CO2 + scope & rings

Bug Splat
05-18-2010, 4:03 PM
Get a Crosman 1077 + extra clips + Gamo Match pellets + CO2 + scope & rings

Already have one. I want something that does not take CO2 or pellets.

Cobrafreak
05-18-2010, 4:17 PM
That will put your EYE OUT!!:eek: (I wanted to be the first one to say it LOL)

NapaCountyShooter
05-18-2010, 4:37 PM
As a kid I spent many many many hours on the ranch my mom and stepdad took care of with my trusty bb guns. Honestly, I always got the ones that were the cheapest. Daisys mostly. I have one now that I got at Walmart for 30 bucks or so that works just fine. I wouldn't go out and spend a bunch of money for a bb gun for my kid. Just check out whatever Walmart has and go with that.

gun toting monkeyboy
05-18-2010, 5:06 PM
Dangit, Cobrafreak beat me to it. I didn't get my daughter a bb gun. I got her a Crickett .22 LR for her 6th birthday. True, she doen't get to go running around shooting the twigs off of branches on trees, and any of the other silly games we all played. But she does get to go to the range fairly often. And she is learning to be responsible around firearms.

caldude
05-18-2010, 5:09 PM
I grew up with a Crosman 760, and later bought one as an adult. It's fine as a starter rifle - not extremely accurate, but good enough. The power is variable by the number of pumps, and it will shoot BBs all day. I found that it was easy to pinch my fingers while pumping the gun, but I also have big hands that curled around the forearm. Mine came with a cheap scope that was basically useless, even a cheap $15 Tasco from Walmart would be better.

Lucky7
05-18-2010, 5:11 PM
Check out this one it is very nice for the price and doesn't use CO2
http://www.pyramydair.com/p/crosman-2100b-air-rifle.shtml

Noah3683
05-18-2010, 5:12 PM
That will put your EYE OUT!!:eek: (I wanted to be the first one to say it LOL)

:p Well I actually still get to be the first to say it lol. it's "you'll shoot your eye out kid" ;)

Noah3683
05-18-2010, 5:13 PM
Just get a little crossman pump rifle that accepts bb's and pellets

Bug Splat
05-18-2010, 8:27 PM
Check out this one it is very nice for the price and doesn't use CO2
http://www.pyramydair.com/p/crosman-2100b-air-rifle.shtml

You know I was looking at the Classic 2100. My neighbors dad had one and that thing was an accurate rifle. Looking at it know I notice it has a rifled barrel so that explains it. I do remember it was a bit heavy and hard to pump but my son is twice as big and strong as I was at that age. Years of Judo has put some serious muscle on that boy so I bet he could pump it and its something he can grow into and keep for years. I think that will be the gun I get him.