PDA

View Full Version : So Cal Rabbits have worms?

JasonM
05-18-2010, 1:55 PM
I've never been hunting, but I'm interested in starting. I was talking to my stepfather this weekend about his experience hunting in So. Cal. He hasn't been hunting in well over a decade but was a very avid hunter growing up eating just about anything he could kill. When I suggested that we should go rabbit hunting this year, he said he never hunted rabbits here because the meat is ruined by worms anywhere that doesn't freeze in the winter.

Has anyone heard such a thing? I imagine plenty of people here have hunted and eaten rabbit from Southern California, no?

professionalcoyotehunter
05-18-2010, 1:59 PM
I have seen the worms and botfly larvae in the rabbits here in socal. I just freeze it once before I eat it and I cut out all around the area that was infected.

Barabas
05-18-2010, 3:22 PM
Forget about worms, you can treat for that easily, it's tularemia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tularemia) you've really got to watch out for.

5shot
05-18-2010, 4:04 PM
Botfly larva's pretty common and harmless. And you can find them in just about all wild animals. All the one's I've seen are just inside the fur/skin and come off with the skin when field dressing them. I've never seen any actually in the meat.
There may be some intestinal worms in rabbits, but they are also removed with field dressing.

wjc
05-19-2010, 8:41 PM
Forget about worms, you can treat for that easily, it's tularemia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tularemia) you've really got to watch out for.

Great googely-moogely, that's some nasty stuff!

zerohour714
05-19-2010, 10:34 PM
Never seen worms, have seen big boils on the flesh I think its Leptospirosis (spell check please) Either way, If you skin one out with boils, dispose of immediately!

Abesnake
05-20-2010, 1:22 AM
You spelled it right. LOL

professionalcoyotehunter
05-20-2010, 8:59 AM
Never seen worms, have seen big boils on the flesh I think its Leptospirosis (spell check please) Either way, If you skin one out with boils, dispose of immediately!

If you freeze it first and remove all the infected area and cook it well there wont be an issue.:D

Barabas
05-25-2010, 11:26 AM
Dude, lepto is no joke. I lost a dog to it several years ago. We were the first documented case in the area. Now they vaccinate all sporting dogs for it.

I didn't know you could get it from rabbits. I thought it was a squirrel/rat thing. I'm going to have to go read up on it again...

77bawls
05-25-2010, 1:07 PM
it's tularemia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tularemia) you've really got to watch out for.

The bacterium was first isolated by GW McCoy of the US Public Health Service plague lab and reported in 1912.

lol Dr. McCoy

bootless
05-25-2010, 2:06 PM
I personally only hunt rabbit in the winter (mid quail season) after it has been cold for a bit to avoid worms. If it's a warm winter I don't bother.

spectr17
05-25-2010, 6:24 PM
Mmmm bot flies. Lil Taptio and they're good to go

Rusty413
05-25-2010, 9:34 PM
Wait... wait... wait... WHAT?!!!! There are bot flies in So Cal?!!! So glad I moved north. Those lil buggers give me the creeps for sure.

As for the worms, bacteria, etc. - one would think that a thorough freezing and cooking process would kill anything that would be harmful. Unless lepto or tuleremia are caused by a very resilient bacterium freezing and cooking would kill it. But key thing here is I do not know much about these specific bacterium so i could be wrong. Anyone know?

r3dn3ck
05-26-2010, 1:07 PM
I grew up in so cal and most of what we ate growing up was rabbit I shot. Mom always told me only to take em' in months with an R if they were for eatin' and if it was just population control, then go out and have fun. Down there that basically meant there was some sort of green thing left on the ground (ie, not summer).

SKSer
05-26-2010, 10:02 PM
I havnt yet started hunting either, and you fellas are scaring the bajeezus out of me :eek:. Im about ready to buy a mc double off the value menu at McDonalds, and put it up on a soda can, walk back about 200 yards, take a kill shot and then chow down. Then again I dont know if McDonalds is any better

Mssr. Eleganté
05-26-2010, 11:10 PM
I havnt yet started hunting either, and you fellas are scaring the bajeezus out of me :eek:. Im about ready to buy a mc double off the value menu at McDonalds, and put it up on a soda can, walk back about 200 yards, take a kill shot and then chow down. Then again I dont know if McDonalds is any better

:rofl: :rofl:

Yeah, I'm starting to feel the same way. And McDoubles are safe to eat during any month that doesn't have a "k" in it. :)

Dekker
05-26-2010, 11:21 PM
Worms, botfly and all manner of sores? :puke: I don't know if I can eat them after seeing that type of thing. What are the chances all the ones I kill will look like they came fresh out of a pet store? lol

r3dn3ck
05-27-2010, 9:42 AM
pretty high in my experience. I've never had to toss one out for it failing my inspection. Other than normal meat handling precautions it has always been without incident for me.

Rusty_Buckhorn
05-27-2010, 10:56 AM
dirty little buggers... I give them to the Mexican guys next door, they eat 'em.

GVOllie
05-27-2010, 2:04 PM
And McDoubles are safe to eat during any month that doesn't have a "k" in it. :)

Right, because Oktober is for brats!