PDA

View Full Version : Fishing and CCW

4ME&MYHOUSE
03-14-2006, 3:11 PM
P.C. in CA states that you can CCW if you are hunting or fishing, does that mean that if in my city I have local lakes that stock fish that I can drive to within 10 minutes (this lake is in the middle of a residential neighborhood) I could CCW to and from there on my lunch break?

bwiese
03-14-2006, 4:54 PM
P.C. in CA states that you can CCW if you are hunting or fishing, does that mean that if in my city I have local lakes that stock fish that I can drive to within 10 minutes (this lake is in the middle of a residential neighborhood) I could CCW to and from there on my lunch break?

Um, that's really pushing it. I wouldn't.

This might conceivably be used as a defense after you're busted.

And you'd likely need a fishing license and fishing tackle for that defense to even be attempted, and be in reasonable distance from the lake(s) during their open fishing hours.

4ME&MYHOUSE
03-14-2006, 5:29 PM
I actually do fish there. I was just curious if I could legally CCW there and back. I know that on the books lots of things are legal in CA, now trying those acts could get you on your face pretty quickly by the LEO's.

glen avon
03-14-2006, 6:57 PM
no, specifically by law you may not. it's in the penal code.

petey
03-14-2006, 7:04 PM
Just because you are driving out to go fishing doesn't mean you can CCW in your car or on your person. A fishing pole is not the same as a CCW permit, and you still need to follow 12025 and 12031PC. If you are fishing in a city/county lake, then you need to check the local ordinances to see if firearms are permitted. If it's a private lake, then you should get permission from the owner.

Years ago, when I used to fish in the delta and in mountain streams, I had a stainless Jennings .22 that I threw in my tackle box. Never had to use it, but there were a few times when rattlesnakes got a little close for comfort.

dreamwarrior22
06-07-2006, 3:53 PM
The full text reads:

Section 12025 does not apply to, or affect, any of the following:

(g) Licensed hunters or fishermen carrying pistols, revolvers, or other firearms capable of being concealed upon the person while engaged in hunting or fishing, or transporting those firearms unloaded when going to or returning from the hunting or fishing expedition.

You can CCW while fishing or hunting, but you can't carry a loaded weapon in the car. Loaded means having both the gun and ammo unlocked in the passenger section. I'd guess that you can CCW an unloaded gun while going/returning from fishing as lon gas the ammo is in the truck or in a locked safe, but I wouldn't because what would be the point anyway. Just leave both in the truck.

Librarian
06-07-2006, 4:29 PM
You can CCW while fishing or hunting, but you can't carry a loaded weapon in the car. According to the cited section, right, but
Loaded means having both the gun and ammo unlocked in the passenger section. this is not right.

A concealable handgun is supposed to be in a locked case when transporting it (without CCW, of course), but loaded is a different concept from locked/unlocked. "Ammunition in the cylinder, revolver locked in the case" clearly does not mean unloaded. but it is the opposite of "gun and ammo unlocked".

Loaded usually means 'ammunition in the weapon, in position where it can be fired'.

But we do go round and round here about that....

glen avon
06-07-2006, 4:48 PM

no. you cannot.

FreedomIsNotFree
06-07-2006, 11:38 PM
no. you cannot.

Well, Glen, to be accurate....he CAN, but he would be breaking the law....;)

glen avon
06-08-2006, 7:34 AM
true dat......

linuxgunner
06-08-2006, 11:42 AM

This small section of the PC comes up every month or so on this board. The short answer is: no.

Playing around with technicalities like that will not help you. If you don't have a CCW and you decide to pack anyway, trying some explanation like that will only make your situation worse. If you are found to be packing without a license, keep your mouth shut until you talk to your attorney. Tell your attorney you were "going fishing on your lunch break" and ask if he wants to use that as a defense. He will tell you "no, that's a bad idea".

You can make a difference in issuance. We have a whole website devoted to just this topic:

http://CaliforniaCCW.org