PDA

View Full Version : Home Depot Parts Size??

insin
03-14-2006, 1:27 PM
I went to home depot and looked through the racks and bins for the needed parts to lock the mag release. I found the 10-32 nuts, but when i tried to place them in the screw caps rated for size 8-10, it seemed they would not fit. There was a slightly larger cap available, but I dont know if it is the one I want. Perhaps the nuts I found were not the thin ones that I see posted.

What size did you guys use for the caps?

Prospector
03-14-2006, 2:38 PM
10-32 nut home depot has is a bit thick. I myself are trying to find the thin nut.

mechandy
03-14-2006, 2:53 PM
If you double nut (double nutting is tightening two nuts against themselfs on threaded stock) a couple of nuts on a bolt or threaded rod you could grind or file off to get to your specs...I'd go with SS.
If you just want to buy something most areas have a "screw shop" listed under fasteners.

PistolKidd
03-14-2006, 3:34 PM
hahah i had the same exact problem..

i thought they'd fit but when you try and close the plastic cap with the nut screwed on- all you get is a "damnit!!!!!!"

cheap lesson..i found some larger sized ones at my local ACE Hardware..

i go there now cause they're only 30 seconds away, and they typically have everything i need. and there's this really cute girl... oh wait, back to plastic covers..

anyways..i bought some plastic caps and o-rings for my extractor...i have a couple of extras that i bought for my other lowers, but realistically, im not gonna build them up any time soon...i might as well spread some karma.. if you want that cap, feel free to PM me your address and ill mail it to you..

Uberdummy
03-14-2006, 4:00 PM
The only thin 10-32 nuts I could find were at Lowes, and i had to buy a pack of 20, but it was only $0.69 for the pack, so no biggy. I also got a pack with 2 1/4" black caps for $0.39.

LEO
03-14-2006, 5:48 PM
Look for a nut in 5 mm instead of the 10/32
5 mm will fit inside the plastic cover.
And 5 mm is the same as 10/32 tread

Builder
03-14-2006, 6:16 PM
I still like the allen nut better; I've got both. MSC Direct is where I got the allen nuts (they're black).
Builder

wangankin
03-14-2006, 6:18 PM
I went to home depot and looked through the racks and bins for the needed parts to lock the mag release. I found the 10-32 nuts, but when i tried to place them in the screw caps rated for size 8-10, it seemed they would not fit. There was a slightly larger cap available, but I dont know if it is the one I want. Perhaps the nuts I found were not the thin ones that I see posted.

What size did you guys use for the caps?

Same problem, I just pusted out the dremel and ground all sides of the nut smaller as well as a thinner profile. Works fine.

Brent
03-14-2006, 7:07 PM
Crap, I just got back from home depot with 10-32 nuts, I wish I had seen this earlier. :(

Henry47
03-14-2006, 8:14 PM
I first bought size #8 black covers and it didn't fit the 10-32 nut. After realizing my mistake, I went to buy the #10 black cover and it STILL DIDN'T FIT!!. I used a dremel and cut off 75% of the inside of the cover in order to get it to "snap" in.

insin
03-14-2006, 8:35 PM
The only thin 10-32 nuts I could find were at Lowes, and i had to buy a pack of 20, but it was only $0.69 for the pack, so no biggy. I also got a pack with 2 1/4" black caps for $0.39.

And the 2 1/4 worked for you? I saw them, but decided that I should see what you guys thought before I spent 2 WHOLE DOLLARS! hahahaha, ill return tomarrow to pick them up if so.

383green
03-14-2006, 8:49 PM
i found some larger sized ones at my local ACE Hardware..

i go there now cause they're only 30 seconds away, and they typically have everything i need. and there's this really cute girl...

Now, where exactly is this Ace Hardware? :D

mds2004
03-14-2006, 8:55 PM
I've used Ace for plently of things, I have not even thought about them for this. Thanks for the idea.

Now, where exactly is this Ace Hardware? :D
http://www.adzmar.com/ace/