View Full Version : Schultz & Larsen

05-18-2010, 6:08 AM
Does anyone have any information about Schultz & Larsen rifles? I have recently come into several of them, some complete and some just barreled actions. Apparently I had a relative that was the US distributor for them in the 60's and 70's and I just don't need all of these rifles. I can't seem to get a hold of anyone at the manufacturers or the two listed distributors on their web site. So I figured maybe someone here would know. I would like to sell some of them but I have no idea what they are worth, and neither does my local gun dealer. Any help or info would be appreciated. Thanks.

gun toting monkeyboy
05-18-2010, 6:26 AM
I have a Schultz and Larsen RPLT 42. They are decent enough guns. The sporting models post WWII were fairly good, but often in obscure cartridges. Post some pictures, and I'll see if I can identify any of them for you. Pictures of the action, magazine area and any markings would be most helpful.

Do your rifles look like 98 mauser actions, or are they something that looks significantly different? Because in addition to their propriatary designs, they also did a bunch of reworked 98 mausers as target and sporting rifles. These were normally in much more common calibers. Not the 7x61 Sharp and Hart cartridge.

05-18-2010, 8:13 PM
They are in odd calibers. I have several that are 7x61, one or two in .308 norma mag, one in 30-06, maybe two 7mm mag. I'll have to look at the rest. When I get back home I will post some pictures. Thanks for your response.

05-18-2010, 10:34 PM
When I had to figure out a ballpark value for my S and L the first place that I looked was gunbroker, as a general figure of what people are willing to pay, being that they are oddball rifles. The bluebook is the best place to go, as some of the prices online are misleading, you might think you have a $2k rifle when its really worth $600.

gun toting monkeyboy
05-19-2010, 9:28 AM
There is a S&L Rplt 42 on GB all the time in the 2K+ range. That is because less than 600 of them were made, and quite a few were destroyed. There are maybe less than two dozen of them in the US. That is why the price on it is so high. He knows what he has, and knows what it is worth. I picked mine up for $67 as part of a deal with about 5 other guns. I didn't know what it was at the time, nor did the dealer. It is still the best gun buy I have ever made.

The regular S&L rifles seem to be in the range of your typical hunting rifle. Condition and caliber are everything. A basic used rifle in an oddball chambering, with normal wear and tear, would probably go in the $300 range. Maybe a bit less, maybe a bit more. A target rifle in a normal (common I mean) chambering could go for $600-1000. Unfortunately, from what I have seen with S&L guns over the years is that the odd chamberings don't command a premium as they do in other rifles. Having a Savage 99 in .250-3000 is desirable because it is uncommon, but the round is seen as cool and historical. Reloading supplies and dies are readily available. Having a S&L in 7x61 or .308 Norma is seen as having an expensive albatross. Brass and dies are very expensive and hard to come by. And there are more common chamberings out there that do the same thing without the extra cost. I have a cousin that owns a Winchester that was rebarreled to .308 Norma in the 1970's. Somebody back then thought it would be cool, and the next great thing. Ammo currently runs about $70+ per box of 20. Needless to say, he almost never uses it. I looked into the situation, and found that dies were very expensive. And the cost of the brass actually made buying loaded factory ammo look economical. He still has it, but he got a .300 Win Mag to do the same thing for a fraction of the cost. That is the problem you are likely to run into. Keep us updated, and post pictures. But don't expect to get the $2500 a pop like that RPLT 42 on GB.

05-22-2010, 6:01 PM
Thank you all for your time and suggestions. I should be back home in a few more days and I can post some pictures then.