PDA

View Full Version : New guns need advice.

ocbryan
05-17-2010, 10:17 PM
I recently joined, and just today i bought my very first gun.
i bought a Siaga 7.62x39. Still got wait 10 day =(.
so i got some questions so im wondering if you guys can help me ..

Was this a good choice for a gun ?

can i put a folding stock with a pistol grip?

im not knowledgeable on Califonia laws.

and what is Section 922(r).

Bryan

P/S i hope this was the right thread

Killawhale415
05-17-2010, 10:43 PM
Welcome to Calguns buddy. I just tested out my new saiga in 7.62 last weekend and couldnt be more happy with it, Ate over 200 rounds of ammo straight out the box without a hiccup. Just do a quick search of 922r with the seach function and youll find a wealth of info on what to to do and how to convert this rifle.

ocbryan
05-17-2010, 10:59 PM
okay im new to forums so i dont know much..
but will do thanks

maxwellca21
05-17-2010, 11:03 PM
welcome! how much did you buy your saiga for?

Anchors
05-17-2010, 11:22 PM
I highly recommend reading EVERY section of this laws subsection.
It doesn't hurt to know all the laws, even if they apply to other types of firearms you don't intend to own.

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Main_Page#California_Firearms_Laws

Federal requirements can be found readily on google/the 2A Politics forum.

Noah3683
05-17-2010, 11:28 PM

Bryan

It's junk, but I'll be a terribly nice guy and give you $50 for it. J/k but welcome to calguns. Some more will chime in as to the accessories you are looking for. It's still down my list a ways, so I haven't really researched them much yet. I will get there eventually though.

telcolineman
05-17-2010, 11:47 PM
Welcome to Cg, Great bunch of guys here

b.faust
05-18-2010, 12:11 AM

Bryan

Welcome to calguns.
That's a great gun. You'll have a lot of fun with it.

Hint: Do a search on cleaning a rifle after using corrosive ammo.
;)

nagorb
05-18-2010, 12:16 AM
I don't have personal experience with saigas but everything I read is good, don't expect great accuracy though

yes, but you will have to follow CA laws. There are a number of threads on calguns regarding the conversion

and what is Section 922(r)
http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/BuildAkVerifyCompliance search for saiga 922r and you will find more info specific to your needs

nagorb
05-18-2010, 12:19 AM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=192202
and welcome to calguns

Josh3239
05-18-2010, 12:26 AM
Not without a magazine lock and atleast 30'' of length with the stock collapsed. Learn PC 12276.1 (http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/12276.1.html)

ocbryan
05-18-2010, 1:03 AM
wow thanks for all the replys..guess ima have lots of fun reading =)

bigthaiboy
05-18-2010, 2:29 AM
Not without a magazine lock and atleast 30'' of length with the stock collapsed. Learn PC 12276.1 (http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/12276.1.html)

As Josh said. Adding a pistol grip and folding stock will make your Saiga an assault weapon in CA, unless you have a bullet buttom magazine lock. A Saiga with a folded stock will be around 27". You need to be at 30" minimum to be legal. Please understand PC12276.1 and SB23 before making changes to your Saiga.

ocbryan
05-18-2010, 3:53 AM
is there longer barrels that i can buy?

nagorb
05-18-2010, 11:28 AM
is there longer barrels that i can buy?

Best way is to permanently attach a muzzle device that will bring the overall length to 30".

bigthaiboy
05-18-2010, 11:38 AM
Best way is to permanently attach a muzzle device that will bring the overall length to 30".

There is no requirement for "Permanent", just screwing a muzzle device on is good enough for CA legality. I believe many Saigas come with a threaded barrel nowadays, but it is covered over by a shroud. There is a member who started a thread about his Saiga having a threaded barrel: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=294474&highlight=saiga+has+threaded+barrel

ocbryan
05-18-2010, 11:56 AM
okay so i think im getting these laws now..

if i do a conversion my saiga has to have no more than 10 imported parts and the rest should be made in usa

if i read right a saiga has 14 parts

if i want to put a pistol grip it must have a mag lock and the magazine cant hold more than 10 rounds

and if i want a folding stock overall length of the riffle with the stock folded must be 30" ..

am i right?

bigthaiboy
05-18-2010, 12:10 PM
okay so i think im getting these laws now..

if i do a conversion my saiga has to have no more than 10 imported parts and the rest should be made in usa. Correct.

if i read right a saiga has 14 parts. Correct.

if i want to put a pistol grip it must have a mag lock and the magazine cant hold more than 10 rounds. Correct.

and if i want a folding stock overall length of the riffle with the stock folded must be 30" .. Correct. This is a good way of extending the length of your rifle: http://www.cncwarrior.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=170 There is also a 2" version, if you plan on using a longish muzzle brake / FH, but do some careful measuring before you buy.

am i right? Yes, now go and enjoy your new Saiga.

ocbryan
05-18-2010, 12:13 PM
wow i was right..
so these are the restrictions i have to abide by and i will be okay?
im not missing anything?

bigthaiboy
05-18-2010, 1:16 PM
wow i was right..
so these are the restrictions i have to abide by and i will be okay?
im not missing anything?

No, that list looks complete, because it fulfills both Federal 922(r) and CA State requirements, for a compliant semi-auto rifle.

ocbryan
05-18-2010, 1:21 PM
sweet thanks guys for all the info appreciate the help

stix213
05-18-2010, 1:32 PM

Great choice :) Best gun I own for sure by a WIDE margin

Yes to pistol grip, but you will have to change your configuration to 10 round fixed magazine. Click the "AW & OLL Guides" link at the top of the page, and select "CA AW ID Flowchart" for specific details

In CA you have to keep to 30" over all length for center fire semi-auto rifles. If you got the 16" barrel version of the Saiga (most common) the rifle will certainly be too short with the stock folded.

again, check that flow chart

In a nut shell, 922r says that if you change your rifle to a non-sporting configuration you have to have 10 or fewer foreign parts from a specific list. The stock Saiga has 14 parts that count on the list, 15 if you add a pistol grip. Adding a pistol grip, or several other features like a bipod or forward grip, will trigger this requirement.

Getting 922r compliance can be done several ways. If you convert to pistol grip there are several internal parts you can swap during the conversion process. If you don't want to dig around inside you can use only US made magazines (counts as 3 parts), swap the foregrip to US made (1 part), etc.

You can use this page to verify 922r compliance parts count:
http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/BuildSaigaVerifyCompliance

Bryan

Have fun with your rifle. I love mine :)

Edit: Looks like I type too slow lol :p

ocbryan
05-18-2010, 1:45 PM
thanks man your saiga looks sick..
what if i just change out the stock with a stock thats made in usa with a pistol grip and add a mag lock .can i do this?

Rob454
05-18-2010, 2:35 PM
Great reliable guns. I had one and it was good for 150-200 yards I could hit a paper plate. After that it spread out a lot more.I mostly feel a lot of the inaccuracy of the Saiga is due to the cheap ammo. Dont expect pinpoint accuracy. As long as you are not over expectant the Saiga will be a faithful and great rifle. Personally I would look into getting a factory wood stock and foregrip for it. it changes the angle of your wrist and makes the gun more comfortable and it feels a lot more solid overall.

Unless you are gonna pistol grip and change the trigger group to get more of a AK look then the change to wood stock would be my choice. For some reason the Saiga i got came with wood trim but I know its pretty rare that they do. i got mine in 1997 or 98 so maybe back then it was a different set up.

Either way I think you got a great gun. If you leave it in its stock configuration you wont need to do anything or worry about LEOs looking at you twice. if you want to hop it up then follow the AW list on the top of the page and have fun.

Welcome to the site.

motorhead
05-18-2010, 6:55 PM
you seem to have a fine grasp of our strange and unusual gun laws. now you MUST accumulate ammo. lots and lots of ammo. ak rifles are voracious. don't bother with good, go for cheap.

Double_D
05-18-2010, 7:35 PM
Welcome to calguns! you will absolutely love your saiga.

ocbryan
05-18-2010, 10:55 PM
man i cant wait to pick it up on the 27 ..
and im going shooting the very next day =)
so can wait.....

nagorb
05-18-2010, 11:06 PM
yeah the 10 day wait sucks.

DDRH
05-19-2010, 7:51 AM
good choice! i got one...fun to shoot, wish i had the wood stock though. polymer stock sucks. and i'm not used to the flat angle of the grip...wood stock seems like the grip's a lil more perpendicular, easier to hold for me.

ocbryan
05-19-2010, 6:57 PM
hey guys how many rounds of ammo should i get for a good day of shooting?

nagorb
05-19-2010, 11:07 PM
if you only have the one gun, I would say at least 100rds, but it depends on how long you want to shoot.

Where are you located? I'm finishing an AK that I need to test fire.

ocbryan
05-20-2010, 2:01 AM
hmm i plan on shooting for hours.
well im going to be using a shot gun to and a sks ...
100 rounds seems a lil to me
im located in Anaheim